Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-25-2023, 12:26 PM

Default Mesh Network that can be set up with Computer

I would like to get wifi into my shop and it looks like I will need to set up a mesh network to get it out there. Everything I have found so far requires a smartphone for the initial setup and I would like to find one that can be setup with a computer only as I do not use a smartphone. Does anyone know of a system that allows the nodes to be setup using a computer?
Old 11-25-2023, 2:32 PM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

TP link is what I used to set up a network for an outbuilding. Works with PC or phones, I like the iphone as I'm controlling this remotely wherever I may be.
I am no network engineer and it probably shows. I cobbled this together and did the best I could as a senior citizen. If anyone has any suggestions on ways to clean this little network up I'm open. This created an entirely separate network from my Starlink routers network which was my goal.

Starlink satellite wired to a

Starlink ethernet adaptor wired to a

TP-Link TL-SG108PE wired to a

TP-Link OC300 wired to a

TP-Link EAP225 wireless

TP-Link EAP225 wireless

TP-Link EAP225 wireless

The Starlink proprietary ethernet adapter is basically a splitter, one line goes to the Starlink router and the other goes to the TP-link managed switch.

The TP-Link TL-SG108PE is a managed switch with 4 POE ports and 4 ethernet ports

The Omada OC300 is a cloud based network.

The TP-Link EAP225 is an outdoor access point. The first one is hard wired from the Omada's but the rest are wireless but they do require a POE injector
Old 11-25-2023, 2:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the Netgear Orbi system. I don’t remember needing a phone for set up. It’s an amazing mesh system as well. I have the main router and two satellites for whole house coverage. I get 750-800 wireless anywhere on the property with a 1GB service.

Last edited by DaveInOroValley; 11-25-2023 at 2:52 PM..
Old 11-26-2023, 6:02 AM

psssniper, It is interesting that you were able to setup TCPlink with a computer. I originally bought a TCPlink Decco and after chatting with their tech customer service, was told it cannot be set up with a computer and they had flagged this as a problem to the product line head. I then started checking other mesh networks, and all the ones I checked said they needed to be set up via a downloaded phone/tablet app.

Daveinoro,
Thanks for the orbi info. It looks like that will work for me.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Ubiquiti Unifi networks can be set up using a computer interface.
Old 11-27-2023, 5:30 PM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
psssniper, It is interesting that you were able to setup TCPlink with a computer. I originally bought a TCPlink Decco and after chatting with their tech customer service, was told it cannot be set up with a computer and they had flagged this as a problem to the product line head. I then started checking other mesh networks, and all the ones I checked said they needed to be set up via a downloaded phone/tablet app.
I had to set up my Deco system at another house with an iPhone and also set up this Omada with an iPhone, but everything I have read shows that the Omada can be set up and run with a PC. I could be wrong though
Old 11-27-2023, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just used a bunch of cheap Netgear WAX610s (used, ebay for $50). I never used a phone, just set to defaults and login. I dont do mesh though, just fast roaming. Each are hardwired and use PoE with the same SSID.
Old 11-27-2023, 6:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a deco and I update the device and firmware easily with the app

I guess I have surrendered.

All the deco I have contain at least 2 ports for RJ45 cables.

Having the port gives choices to connect different devices.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:51 AM

I have an Orbi mesh that I set up with my Mac. It's also accessible with my iPhone. As Orbi is a Netgear product, there is a lot of support info and knowledge base. For accessing through my Macs, I just enter the IP address, typically either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in a browser URL. Then the default username and PW. All that info is provided in the instructions with the product, or in the manufacturer's knowledge base.

Personally, I'm happy with the Orbi setup. And I have a detached 4,000 sq ft. workshop/studio/apartment/kitchen with everything getting good coverage.
Old 11-30-2023, 1:30 PM

Thanks all. It looks like there are a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Ubiquiti Unifi networks can be set up using a computer interface.
From my limited understanding, it looks like the Ubiquiti Unifi is much more than just a mesh network, and you buy the pieces you need for your particular problem. Am I understanding things correctly or is there a bundled mesh solution?
Old 11-30-2023, 1:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Amazing smart guys on the board (I have so much to learn).
Old 11-30-2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:

From my limited understanding, it looks like the Ubiquiti Unifi is much more than just a mesh network, and you buy the pieces you need for your particular problem. Am I understanding things correctly or is there a bundled mesh solution?
I've used Ubiquiti products for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint, and mesh applications. Lots of options, but it's not the easiest hardware to configure if you are unfamiliar.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67 View Post
I've used Ubiquiti products for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint, and mesh applications. Lots of options, but it's not the easiest hardware to configure if you are unfamiliar.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-04-2023, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Ubiquiti Unifi is not a prepackaged mesh system. However, it's not overly complicated to pick a router and mesh access points. The Unifi system has gotten much more user friendly over the past couple years. After setting up the router, the system automatically detects the access points when they power up and will ask you to adopt the device.

I have three of these systems and have used and abused them for years. I have a mesh point on the roof in Palm Springs that has survived for years in extreme conditions. Since I don't get reliable cell service there, the mesh system has been great for an iPhone and wifi assist. I get a strong wifi signal everywhere on the property and rarely drop calls.

Many of the Unifi routers also integrate their Protect video system (cameras, doorbells, flood lights) and other systems like door locks and phone systems.
Old 12-04-2023, 8:54 PM

I just bought the NETGEAR Orbi 960 base + 2 repeaters.
From the reviews I?ve read it?s one of the best and easy to set up.
Old 12-05-2023, 9:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
I just bought the NETGEAR Orbi 960 base + 2 repeaters.
From the reviews I?ve read it?s one of the best and easy to set up.
Thats what I set my neighbor up with and he has been happy with it.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 12-06-2023, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Ubiquiti Unifi is not a prepackaged mesh system. However, it's not overly complicated to pick a router and mesh access points. The Unifi system has gotten much more user friendly over the past couple years. After setting up the router, the system automatically detects the access points when they power up and will ask you to adopt the device.

I have three of these systems and have used and abused them for years. I have a mesh point on the roof in Palm Springs that has survived for years in extreme conditions. Since I don't get reliable cell service there, the mesh system has been great for an iPhone and wifi assist. I get a strong wifi signal everywhere on the property and rarely drop calls.

Many of the Unifi routers also integrate their Protect video system (cameras, doorbells, flood lights) and other systems like door locks and phone systems.
Thanks for the additional info on the unifi/ubiquiti solution and it sounds doable for me. Based on the comments here, I've narrowed things down to the Orbi or Ubiquiti and will keep an eye open for a good sale.