Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

View Poll Results: Why Do You Believe Gun Stores are 'Essential' and Should Remain Open?
The 2nd Amendment; no other reason is needed 21 41.18%
Legal system is/will be hindered; Americans must have ability to defend themselves 4 7.84%
They provide things people need, including guns 0 0%
To support law enforcement and their efforts to protect the public 0 0%
I don’t trust law enforcement or the military to protect me/mine 1 1.96%
As a thumb in the eye to politicians who would infringe on the 2nd Amendment 1 1.96%
I have a stockpile of Bacon and it will be defended to the last 0 0%
All of the above and more 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2020, 11:53 PM

Default Why Are Gun Stores 'Essential' Businesses, Meaning They Should Remain Open?

We know why Chuck Michel claims gun stores are 'essential' businesses and should remain open. John Lott has proffered his argument(s) as to why they are 'essential.' We've bandied about myriad reasons in a plethora of threads.

But, why do you feel gun stores are 'essential' businesses which should remain open during 'emergencies;' including the COVID-19 pandemic?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 AM

We live in a society where AMMUNITION is only available at gun stores. If you force the gun stores to close, it's like saying 'sorry folks, the 2A is suspended'. Just like the British banned the manufacture/sale of musket balls and powder.

Ammo is essential to protection of safety, just as much as the guns are. It's no different than bread (or bacon) at the grocery store in terms of need for access to it. Add to that the inalienable right to own firearms (which MUST be purchased via DROS to be legal), to begin with.
Old 03-26-2020, 1:03 AM

When I think of this, the 97 LAPD shootout comes to mind when they ran to the gun store for rifles.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
When I think of this, the 97 LAPD shootout comes to mind when they ran to the gun store for rifles.
And with all that commandeered firepower, look at how many rounds missed the targets.

Police should be prepared through better tactics and manpower, not higher capacity weapons that simply have too much potential for unintended consequences.

Every bullet released in the noted shootout or San Bernardino for that matter could have taken an innocent life. It's bad enough to get shot by a bad guy, it is even worse to get killed by a good guy.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

hmm i feel they are not "essential" but since the state requires buisness to be conducted through them they should have the option to do buisness by appointment only which means specific buisness only no browsing
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM

From The New York Times via Yahoo News today - Are Guns 'Essential' in the Virus Era? Americans Stock Up as States Differ

Quote:
...officials have been split over whether gun stores and ammunition dealers can remain open alongside pharmacies, gas stations and laundromats, leading to confusion and legal challenges as at least 19 states have issued some form of stay-at-home orders. In Ohio, Illinois and Michigan, gun stores have been deemed essential. In New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, they have not.

In Los Angeles, where long lines of customers have been stretching out the door of some gun shops over the past few weeks, the county sheriff ordered his deputies to make sure they were closed after 10 million residents were ordered to stay at home starting last weekend. But on Tuesday, after the county’s top lawyer said the shops could stay open, the sheriff reversed his decision...

The FBI would not comment on those figures, but said in a statement that the background check system remained fully operational and asked for the public’s patience “during this period of national emergency.”...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Well if you are democrat they are not essential...I hope LA BURNS and all the liberal democrats become victims to all the cretins they have been releasing from jails/prisons and protecting all these years. Karma...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
hmm i feel they are not "essential" but since the state requires buisness to be conducted through them they should have the option to do buisness by appointment only which means specific buisness only no browsing
????? Are you a democrat??? Vote democrat??

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 03-26-2020, 12:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
????? Are you a democrat??? Vote democrat??
we need to diminish places where people congregate
all of us have guns and ammo

i'm not saying you shouldnt be able to call the gunstore tell them what you want they will say what they have you agree to buy it pay with a credit card and show up and pick it up
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i'm not saying you shouldnt be able to call the gunstore tell them what you want they will say what they have you agree to buy it pay with a credit card and show up and pick it up
So...you are a democrat... for the record.... as I would never ask a question I wouldn't answer...I'm a registered Republican who has never missed an election, even when out at sea on deployment. I have voted for the odd (pardon the pun ) libertarian in the past too.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 03-26-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Idaho Essential Services = Yes, they are!

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-con...es_updated.pdf

Page 2, Section 3. Essential services and businesses, including:
- Childcare programs and services
- Essential government services including services and programs offered by the Department of
Health and Welfare
- Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for
economically disadvantaged or other needy individuals
- Plumbers
- Electricians
- Exterminators
- Landscapers
- Grocery stores
- Certified farmers’ markets
- Farm and produce stands
- Supermarkets
- Food banks
- Convenience stores
- Gas stations
- Auto supply stores
- Auto repair and related facilities
- Laundromats
- Dry cleaners
- Laundry service providers
- Hardware stores
- Hotels for purpose of isolation/quarantine or for those providing essential services
- Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes
- Food cultivation including farming, livestock, and fishing
- Firearm businesses
- Other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and
vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, liquor, beer, and wine and any other
household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes
stores that sell groceries and also sell other non-grocery products, and products necessary to
maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.

"Freedom is always just one generation away from extinction. We don't pass it to our children in the bloodstream; we have to fight for it and protect it, and then hand it to them so that they shall do the same, or we're going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children's children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free." - Ronald Reagan, 1961
Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloSteve View Post
Idaho Essential Services = Yes, they are!

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-con...es_updated.pdf

Page 2, Section 3. Essential services and businesses, including:
- Childcare programs and services
- Essential government services including services and programs offered by the Department of
Health and Welfare
- Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for
economically disadvantaged or other needy individuals
- Plumbers
- Electricians
- Exterminators
- Landscapers
- Grocery stores
- Certified farmers’ markets
- Farm and produce stands
- Supermarkets
- Food banks
- Convenience stores
- Gas stations
- Auto supply stores
- Auto repair and related facilities
- Laundromats
- Dry cleaners
- Laundry service providers
- Hardware stores
- Hotels for purpose of isolation/quarantine or for those providing essential services
- Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes
- Food cultivation including farming, livestock, and fishing
- Firearm businesses
- Other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and
vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, liquor, beer, and wine and any other
household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes
stores that sell groceries and also sell other non-grocery products, and products necessary to
maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.
Gotta love ID. I’m jealous.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I am always willing to give credit where credit is due....and Im pleasantly shocked (maybe its just our batcrap crazy CAlifornia democrats???);

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rom-shut-down/

"Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont’s (D) stay at home order closes non-essential businesses but lists gun stores as “essential,” thereby allowing them to continue to trade.

NBC Connecticut reports Lamont’s order takes effect today at 8 p.m. While an untold number of businesses will be closing, the Office of Connecticut Governor website posted a list of businesses which can remain open because they are deemed “essential.” The list includes “guns and ammunition” retailers."

Also in Illinois... "On March 21, 2020, Breitbart News reported Illinois Governor JB Pritzker (D) listed gun and ammunition stores as “essential” in his executive order putting a statewide shutdown in place.

Pritzker’s order, titled “Executive Order in Response to COVID-19 (COVID-19 Executive Order No. 8),” contains various headings, under which are listings of businesses considered “essential” for day-to-day life. Under the heading, “Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations,” the order makes clear that “firearm and ammunition suppliers and retailers” can remain open, noting that they serve the purposes of “safety and security.”

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 03-26-2020, 1:36 PM

The state has effectively determined that guns are not essential by imposing the 10 day waiting period. How many other items are you forced to wait before you can take possession? Certainly they wouldn't make you wait before you could buy something that was essential, especially in these conditions.

Due to the unforeseen circumstances surrounding this virus outbreak, the Sheriff should simply say that in the interest of public safety, the requirement for background checks on person to person ammo transfers should be suspended.

At this point, there should be mass disobedience of the ammo transfer laws.
Old 03-26-2020, 1:42 PM

When Garcetti closes all of the stores including grocery stores people will need guns to put food on the table.
Old 03-26-2020, 3:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
So...you are a democrat... for the record.... as I would never ask a question I wouldn't answer...I'm a registered Republican who has never missed an election, even when out at sea on deployment. I have voted for the odd (pardon the pun ) libertarian in the past too.
life long republican i too have never missed an opportunity to vote no on any school bonds or tax increases

but that being said thanks to california law they are essential for guns or ammo
so allow them for appointment only

but to the people who do not already have a gun or ammo i say f-em stupid should hurt i'm sitting on a couple cases of ammo 5 ar-15s and a handful of glocks

how many or you really need to go to a gunstore right now for ammo? who doesn't already have a "gun"?

al this nonsense about school lunches really bothers me parents who are not feeding their own spawn should be charged with abuse/neglect

Last edited by bohoki; 03-26-2020 at 3:58 PM..