Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-06-2018, 5:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ For nummies that is a GI can opener
Old 12-06-2018, 6:44 AM

Ha, learned something new. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Hey Randy,

What’s John Wayne?
Back in my day, we called them a John Wayne. Today, they use the term P-38.
john wayne.jpg
Old 12-06-2018, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Attachment 759165
I have a crap to of the p51 version (slightly larger) if anyone wants to buy some.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Attachment 759165
The Army calls them a P38's, the Corps calls them a John Wayne, 1 each came in a box of k and c rations. A John Wayne in the Army is a stupid move, like running into enemy fire, Audue Murphy too.

I though that the larger version of the P38 was a civilian verison, I learned something too.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
The Army calls them a P38's, the Corps calls them a John Wayne, 1 each came in a box of k and c rations. A John Wayne in the Army is a stupid move, like running into enemy fire, Audue Murphy too.

I though that the larger version of the P38 was a civilian verison, I learned something too.

I eventually lost all of the ones I kept from service days. There is a larger civilian version and I believe it is available at Turner's and/or Walgreen. The larger one is bulkier but a lot easier on the hands.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
Definitely going to have to look for something affordable to start with. I was thinking of checking with a surplus store to see if they have any old ALICE pack or maybe eBay for a used pack.
I purchased this for my last hunt. Very comfortable & versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...oorz+commander
Old 12-06-2018, 2:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just found several packs and frames on craigslist. 20-80 bucks
Old 12-06-2018, 2:28 PM

# 8, TP IS FIRST !

Psalm 1
Old 12-06-2018, 3:15 PM

Seriously, don't overthink the gear. A lot of gear is a waste or really just for comfort/convenience. To get started, whatever you take for a day of hiking is fine for a day of hunting. I carry a few extras in my pack for a hunt, such as extra cutlery & a game bag (big game). But everything else is really just personal preference & clever marketing.

Binos - I know most folks think these are necessary. They're nice. But far from necessary where I hunt. Maybe I've just never learned to use them well. They're nice to have during the archery season so I don't waste a stalk on a doe or spike. But I've never spotted a deer through binocs that I haven't already seen with my naked eye. Any decent rifle scope can be used to positively ID a branched antler. If you're shooting open sights, then it's best to get a pair of binocs just to be sure your buck is legal. I've had bucks in heavy brush that I can almost see a branch on them only to find out... It was just a tree branch. Just don't ever use a scope to search for game. I feel it's okay to use a scope as a final confirmation of a legal buck, though.

For small game, just grab your rifle/shotgun with some ammo & get out there. As you hunt, you'll learn what you want to have with you. I can't even count the times I used to load up the pups, grab the shotgun & a box of shells & walk the fields for rabbits, doves, quail, etc. Maybe I'd get some shots & maybe not. But if you're close to your vehicle & not far from home, there's not much that you really NEED other than a pocket knife and your firearm. If you get something, just throw it in your day pack or, worst case scenario, cache it somewhere & come back for it.

For big game, any knife with a 3-4" blade will work. Bring some sort of pocket sharpener to touch up if you're skinning/quartering in the field. But if you're lugging out the whole carcass, you can skip the sharpener & use any old pocket knife. I've been pleasantly surprised at Morakniv. A buddy lent me one this year. He was bragging about it & wearing it to some hikes so when he offered it to me to gut out a critter, I humored him by accepting it rather than using my pocket knife. I was very pleasantly surprised. And it was only $10. I'd never stress about losing it in the field or breaking it at that price. I ended up getting the $40 version for some extra bells and whistles. But the $10 one is just as good for an all-around knife.

Meat haulers & fancy packs are nice if you're way back or aren't in the best shape. My first CA deer was about 2-3 miles back & I shot him on the way to my campsite. I packed out the quarters, backstraps & head, leaving the hide (regrettably) in 2 loads in what was really just an oversized day pack (frameless). But if you're reasonably fit and have less than a mile to your rig, just fold the deer into a backpack with the legs, put some orange on the head (mine wore an orange shemagh this year) and march him on out. It's hard work but nothing impossible by any stretch. Just keep that orange on him!

Clothing-wise, just about anything weather-appropriate will work. I get more fussy about noisy stuff in the archery season. But flannels & jeans do it well enough most of the time. That first CA deer was shot while I was wearing regular old cargo pants (dirt-colored) and a running shirt.

Turkey hunting gets a little more gear-heavy. But I do most all my calling with a single diaphragm call & a box call. Full camo required. Decoy is optional if you have a shotgun but I'd say it's pretty necessary for archery.

Get out there & have fun! You'll learn what you want to carry with you in time. Learning what you like & what you need are just part of the journey.

Last edited by CVShooter; 12-06-2018 at 3:25 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 3:44 PM

Default Gear

I still wear my digital cammies, and large mountain pack when I hunt. This is my neighbor that needed help packing this cow out.

Day hunts: game bags 100 ft of 550 cord, water, snack, whistle, emergency space blanket, fire starter. This was yesterday gutless field dress on a cow elk.

20181205_112653.jpg