Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2018, 8:54 PM

Default I never felt under-gunned as an LEO back in the day...

For much of my law enforcement career, I carried a Glock on my side(first a Glock 17 when they first came out in the 80s, and later in the 90s, my Glock 19), and generally a Mini-14 with a Galati Intl. 6 pack shoulder bag of factory 30s in the trunk. There were also times it was an M1 Carbine instead, or an occasional AR, but the Mini was king as far as I was concerned. Remember, back in the 80s and 90s, AR15s were still somewhat of a rarity, rather than the most popular rifle in the United States as they are now.

Back then, of course, I didn't have the FLV, but thats what I would use for the Zombie Apocalypse~ (Oh, by the way, that is a Wilson Combat Comp muzzle brake on the Mini, NOT a flash hider, so don't get your panties in a bunch!)

Last edited by imarangemaster; 12-03-2018 at 9:06 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you feel under gunned now?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 12-03-2018, 9:20 PM

Location: My gun has killed less people than Uber’s self driving car.

OP, the Mini-14 is plenty of gun. I wouldn’t feel undergunned with one either. The reason I own ARs is because they’ve become ubiquitous in the modern gun culture. They’re everywhere, parts are everywhere, they’re modular, easy to build, and easy to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 12-03-2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
OP, the Mini-14 is plenty of gun. I wouldn’t feel undergunned with one either. The reason I own ARs is because they’ve become ubiquitous in the modern gun culture. They’re everywhere, parts are everywhere, they’re modular, easy to build, and easy to maintain.
Yep, besides my Mini, I also have three AR15s I have built, as well as a PTR91, a Stevens pump 12 GA with ghost ring sites, and Ruger PCC9 carbine. Used to have AKs since about 1985, but the AK just never grabbed me like the Mini and the AR. I still shoot the Mini-14 better off hand snap shooting than I do an AR15, even though I have shot the AR platform longer (1974 for the AR and 1982 for the Mini)

I moving to Oregon for most of the year in the spring, but the Mini will be at my RV in Commiefornia when I come down to see the kids and grandkids.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 12-03-2018 at 9:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Do you feel under gunned now?
Nope! The Mini will take care of any Zombie, Goblin, Troll, or Raving Insurrectionist! Just in case that's not enough, though, I have a few other serious weapons in the armory!
Old 12-03-2018, 9:34 PM
retired Goon

If memory serves me correct...

After the 1980 Norco-Lytle Creek bank robbery incident, Ruger offered CA LEOs the Mini-14 with five 20 round magazines for $180.00.

This is when the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department adopted the Ruger Mini-14 as it's standard issue patrol carbine and every patrol vehicle was equipped with them.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-03-2018, 9:45 PM

The wooden hand guard model is much more classy than the new plastic version. Nice rifle.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
The wooden hand guard model is much more classy than the new plastic version. Nice rifle.
Thanks. Accuracy system sells the handguards. I agree they look nicer.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post

I moving to Oregon for most of the year in the spring, but the Mini will be at my RV in Commiefornia when I come down to see the kids and grandkids.
What part of OR. Our house near Astoria will be finished in the spring also.

Took my first deer with a mini-14.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 PM

I was about to say that I was in a carbine class with some California LEOs and they had mini 14s.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan View Post
What part of OR. Our house near Astoria will be finished in the spring also.

Took my first deer with a mini-14.
Coquille, down by Coos Bay. Owned the house for 15 years and been using it is a rental. Finally pulling the pin in May and using is as home base. We will have an RV on family property in the Sierras for when we come back down to see kids and grandkids.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Yup, and it will catch on fire if you do too many mag dumps. I used to have one, and although I took it pretty easy on it because I couldn't afford big quantities of ammo, the underside of my handguard was scorched. There's a reason Ruger changed it.
Old 12-04-2018, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Yup, and it will catch on fire if you do too many mag dumps. I used to have one, and although I took it pretty easy on it because I couldn't afford big quantities of ammo, the underside of my handguard was scorched. There's a reason Ruger changed it.
Why would I do mag dumps? Aimed semi auto is better than spray and pray. In 1974, I was trained to be a rifleman in the green machine. The only full auto in basic was the "jungle path" with one magazine and a drill Sgt, HANGING ON THE BACK OF MY BELT!

I average 200 rounds a range session (I reload), and the handguard is not even too hot to touch. I have seen a video of an AK handguard on fire after something like 300 or 400 rounds non-stop full auto. I think Mini-14 handguards bursting into flame on semi auto is a bunch of internet BS, or "I knew someone, who knew someone, that knew" etc. Theoretically itis possible, but has it ever really happened??????

Last edited by imarangemaster; 12-04-2018 at 9:01 AM..
Old 12-04-2018, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I've seen more than one charred wood hand guard on military issue rifles but I've never seen one actually catch on fire and I've been around military small arms for a long time.

I think Ruger went to fiberglass hand guards due to:

1. Cost

2. Durability

3. Liability - adding the oprod cover to keep ignorant shooter's fingers away from the oprod when it is in motion

I've been a Mini 14 fan since my first one in 1975

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
If memory serves me correct...

After the 1980 Norco-Lytle Creek bank robbery incident, Ruger offered CA LEOs the Mini-14 with five 20 round magazines for $180.00.

This is when the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department adopted the Ruger Mini-14 as it's standard issue patrol carbine and every patrol vehicle was equipped with them.
Did this adoption of the Mini 14 by SDCSD replace the Winchester M94's they were using-- or was there another patrol rifle between the Mini 14 and M94?
Old 12-04-2018, 2:44 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl7422 View Post
Did this adoption of the Mini 14 by SDCSD replace the Winchester M94's they were using-- or was there another patrol rifle between the Mini 14 and M94?
AFAIK for the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department...

The Ruger Mini-14 was the new standard carbine to replace what was previously authorized.
~One of the San Bernarndino County Sheriff deputies that responded to the Norco-Lytle Creek bank robbery incident was armed with a personally owned Colt AR15 SP1. Due to budgetary reasons, the Ruger Mini-14 was selected over the Colt AR15 SP1.

However, older deputies were still allowed to utilize the older authorized lever-action firearms until 1992.
^If you were using before 1981, you could still use it.

Sheriff Williams, who replaced Sheriff Tidwell in 1991, started the process to remove the "cowboy" image from the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department.
^No more lever-action rifles for duty use, along with no more cowboy boots and cowboy hats as authorized uniform wear.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-04-2018 at 2:57 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 3:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
AFAIK for the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department...

The Ruger Mini-14 was the new standard carbine to replace what was previously authorized.
~One of the San Bernarndino County Sheriff deputies that responded to the Norco-Lytle Creek bank robbery incident was armed with a personally owned Colt AR15 SP1. Due to budgetary reasons, the Ruger Mini-14 was selected over the Colt AR15 SP1.

However, older deputies were still allowed to utilize the older authorized lever-action firearms until 1992.
^If you were using before 1981, you could still use it.

Sheriff Williams, who replaced Sheriff Tidwell in 1991, started the process to remove the "cowboy" image from the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department.
^No more lever-action rifles for duty use, along with no more cowboy boots and cowboy hats as authorized uniform wear.
What caliber were the lever actions? I think I’d be a pretty happy camper if one was issued to me.

Old 12-04-2018, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Coquille, down by Coos Bay. Owned the house for 15 years and been using it is a rental. Finally pulling the pin in May and using is as home base. We will have an RV on family property in the Sierras for when we come back down to see kids and grandkids.
very nice, love that area and visit every year for bandon dunes.
Old 12-04-2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
It just happens to be the most common one nowadays.
Old 12-04-2018, 6:31 PM

The SBCSD Winchester 94's were in 30wcf. and I believe were branded with "SB Co." burned into the stocks. I have seen Thompsons and Reisings with the same brand.
Old 12-04-2018, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
I've seen more than one charred wood hand guard on military issue rifles but I've never seen one actually catch on fire and I've been around military small arms for a long time.
Been through a lot of Russian capture K98s and plenty of them had scorched wood. Wonder how many bolt action shots you have to take in a row to scorch K98 wood...

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 12-04-2018, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Well technically they should be comparable other then looks.

If the mini doesn't jam it should be the same rate of fire as any modern semi AR as fast as your finger can go, same ammo, same velocity, same standard 30 round mag capacity.
Old 12-04-2018, 7:32 PM

OP what city/area did you work ?
Old 12-04-2018, 7:37 PM

Northern CA Sierras north of Tahoe, then Seattle area 9 years, then back to central California by Yosemite as a Deputy. Then ran a Police Academy for a couple years.
Old 12-04-2018, 8:01 PM

The Mini-14/30 is an excellent platform; simple, reliable, sturdy, and accurate enough to get it done.
I never feel under-gunned with one.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wish I still had mine.
Old 12-05-2018, 2:08 AM
Veteran Member

The Mini 14 is a fine gun.

My newer 580 series is a lot better than the older 185 series I once had, but it was noticeably heavier.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Northern CA Sierras north of Tahoe, then Seattle area 9 years, then back to central California by Yosemite as a Deputy. Then ran a Police Academy for a couple years.
The mini sounds like a good piece of equipment for those areas.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:31 AM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

I prefer the Mini 14, it's smoother and easy to shoot (AR tend to more accurate at longer distance). I purchased my Mini 14 at Gemco in 1982 for $160 (182 series), sold it for a 580 series but kept the wooden heat guard.

Ahh the memories.

LINK: 9mm Shootout: BHP vs 92A1 vs SP-01 vs P-01
Old 12-05-2018, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I picked up the Mini-181 way back when as the flush 5 rounder allowed me to sling it on my old external frame backpack and stored well in the back of the Jeep when up in the mountains. The wood stock gave it a more civilized look. It was a stringer for sure, after getting its barrel bobed and 5" comp welded on, its a great 50 yard piece.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 12-05-2018, 4:55 PM

Not to be a downer but I just NetFlix'ed 22 July and didn't know that the Mini 14 was the weapon of choice until then.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
What caliber were the lever actions? I think I’d be a pretty happy camper if one was issued to me.
A bit of a thread-jack, but I worked for a CA based cash in transit security company that had model 94s in .30-30 in the armored trucks. Once upon a time a truck was attacked by some gunmen in town town Los Angeles and the messenger opened fire from inside the truck with the Winchester. The police later only found one bullet hole and bullet from his fusillade, about a quarter mile from the truck, that being in a phone booth. The other bullets probably ended up on some of the building roofs when they ran out of steam. No one was hit including the robbers who were near the truck which was a miracle considering 6 rounds were fired without any real aim.

The company pulled all of the Winchesters off of the trucks after that and went to shotguns.

Old 12-06-2018, 8:37 AM

There were any number of incidents I deployed the Mini-14 trunk weapon as a deterrent or precaution, but fortunately never had to shoot anyone. As Sun Tsu "the best battle is the one you win without fighting".

Once when I was a detective, I was out in a rural area profiling on a homicide victim when a man with a gun call came in. An estranged boyfriend was violating a retraining order, walking around his ex's house, firing a shotgun in the air, screaming death threats. She was barricaded inside. It was way back in the mountains, and the nearest patrol deputy was 20-25 minutes out, but I was less than 5 away.

I pulled into the next property and kitted up (we were a small department, and even as a detective, I had a vest and ballistic helmet) and grabbed the Mini-14. I heard him shouting next door punctuated by an occasional shot in the air. I snuck through the trees, and finally caught sight of him. Taking cover behind a large tree, I aimed the Mini around the tree as said "Freeze @ssh*le, Sheriff's department!"

He turned, saw the Mini with it's 30 rounder, and p*ssed his pants instantly. I had him toss the gun away, go prone face down with his ankles crossed, and his hands crossed behind his neck, with the admonition that if he moved i'd figure he was going to attack, so I'd shoot him. We waited patiently (me at the tree with the Mini, and him face down with wet pants) until a couple patrol units arrived, and hooked him up.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 12-06-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
A bit of a thread-jack, but I worked for a CA based cash in transit security company that had model 94s in .30-30 in the armored trucks. Once upon a time a truck was attacked by some gunmen in town town Los Angeles and the messenger opened fire from inside the truck with the Winchester. The police later only found one bullet hole and bullet from his fusillade, about a quarter mile from the truck, that being in a phone booth. The other bullets probably ended up on some of the building roofs when they ran out of steam. No one was hit including the robbers who were near the truck which was a miracle considering 6 rounds were fired without any real aim.

The company pulled all of the Winchesters off of the trucks after that and went to shotguns.
What was he in, a Wells Fargo stagecoach?
Old 12-06-2018, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post

ROTFLMAO
Old 12-06-2018, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

I've never been a fan of the Mini-14 due to ergonomics, but it makes sense to own one if you live in California with the current laws.

As a side note, I have never felt under-gunned even during my adolescent years. By the time I was 14 years old, I already had 16" guns from all the bicep curls that I've been doing.

Last edited by teflondog; 12-06-2018 at 9:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 9:44 AM

i understand ergonomics. For many, it is what you grew up with. They younger generation has grown up with AR15ish firearms. I am late 60s, though, and grew up shooting M1 Carbines, 10-22s, and other wood stocked autos. Even after I was trained on the M16, I kept M1 Carbine and Mini-14s for their familiar feel. To this day, with three different AR15s I have built in the safe, I still prefer plinking with M1 Carbine and Ruger Mini's. 55 years of muscle memory shaped my ergonomics!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
An armored truck. Before the model 94s they carried #1mk3 Lee-Enfield .303 rifles!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:06 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

OP, I'm glad you never felt under gunned. And I suspect it's because you really were never under gunned. Time and again statistics tell us that most police officers never even touch their gun in the line of duty much less pull it much less fire it and even much much less need to face an AR-15 or other assault-style weapon in the line of duty.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:25 PM

I used to go out to the open range at Lytle Creek back in the mid-80's. It was like the wild west out there so a lever action would have been appropriate, lol.

But seriously, I do remember occasionally seeing LE out there. Not sure if they were rangers or SBSD, but I always thought they looked outgunned with their revolver side arms while a lot of seeming gang bangers were out there with AKs (back in the day when you could buy the hand crank triggers that simulated full auto). Don't know if the LEO's had anything in the trunk. I had my trusty mini-14. Love that gun, but also love my ARs (any my AK, and my PTR, my M1's.....)