Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-29-2020, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Burns pepper ball gun. California legal? (Probably not)

https://byrna.com/collections/byrna-...-kinetic-kit-1

I wonder if you need a CCW to carry this? It seems like an excellent option. It can shoot up to 60 ft. this would be ideal in areas where a CCW is nearly impossible to get.

Don't be hatin' all this game!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

$3-$5 per shot

Wow

What caliber? Will they fit regular paint ball guns

“Sacrificial is now Essential Employee”
“We can’t call people Sacrificial... they can’t hear the truth” Gov Newsom

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-29-2020, 9:35 PM

But why does it look like a standard handgun? This is my same problem with tasers. They shouldn't hells and deployed like handguns. We have already seen people say "oops I thought it was my taser". Is something looks like a gun the other guy is going to test you like it's a gun, if it doesn't drop him you have a very pissed off assailant.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:36 PM

Seems kinda big to conceal, but it’s better than nothing...

Old 06-29-2020, 9:40 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post

I wonder if you need a CCW to carry this? It seems like an excellent option. It can shoot up to 60 ft. this would be ideal in areas where a CCW is nearly impossible to get.
The launcher is considered an "imitation firearm" [PC 16700(a)] and all "imitation firearm" laws apply to it [PC 20150-20180].

Unless you are exempt person, it is illegal for you to acquire, possess, or use the pepperball ammo in CA. [PC 22810(e)(1)]

There are no CA laws prohibiting the importing, making, transfer, possession or use of impact projectiles.
But use of them aganist a human would be considered assault with a deadly weapon.
^The standard to determine if use was justified self-defense would be the same as when using any other deadly weapon (knife, firearm, etc).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-29-2020 at 9:46 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 9:53 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post

Quote:
CA Penal Code § 16520

(a) As used in this part, “firearm” means a device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.
CO2 is not explosive, so this is not a firearm, so no CCW needed.

But "Byrna Chemical Irritant Projectiles* ... burst, creating a cloud of chemical irritant", so that's legally "tear gas" -
Quote:

(a) As used in this part, “tear gas” applies to and includes any liquid, gaseous or solid substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispersed in the air.
and so the gadget is a "tear gas weapon"
Quote:

As used in this part, “tear gas weapon” applies to and includes:

(a) Any shell, cartridge, or bomb capable of being discharged or exploded, when the discharge or explosion will cause or permit the release or emission of tear gas.
, and then here 22810(e)(1) that Quiet notes
Quote:
(e) (1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.
So, even though not a firearm, the gun+OC projectiles are not legal for Just Anybody.

I'm not so sure the 'kinetic projectiles' create a 'deadly weapon' -
Quote:

(a) (1) Any person who commits an assault upon the person of another with a deadly weapon or instrument other than a firearm shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years, or in a county jail for not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.
seems the apt code section; I suspect that might be a 'trier of fact' issue; looks more like a paintball marker to me.

But deadly weapon or not, 245 punishes "assault upon the person of another with ... [an] instrument other than a firearm ..."
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-29-2020 at 10:11 PM..