Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-28-2020, 8:06 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^ ^ ^ Folks must be hard up for guns 'cause that one is already commanding $1425... with only 6 bids and 4 days left to go.

Of course, one could always pay almost $1000 over street price and Buy It Now...

Makes me glad to have one in .44 (1894 SBL).

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-28-2020, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazelag View Post
My Form says layaway but I also remember the box saying if I don't like the gun when it comes in, I have to use the deposit on another gun. Not sure about cancelling altogether.
Interesting. That is not in my form. Maybe they do have multiple versions.
Old 06-28-2020, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Commit! Ya'll love it!
Now that's a nice looking rifle. I'm making an appointment tomorrow to DROS the Smokewagon revolver so I'll probably put the Taylor's lever action on layaway then.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

I've never owned a 1873 but they do seem to cycle faster and slicker than any other, except for the other early Winchesters.
Old 06-28-2020, 1:48 PM

I bought a Marlin 1894C Dark as soon as I saw one. It was $900 and I thought that was a lot.

They are going for $1700 now.

I put a Red Dot on mine and it is very, very accurate. I am impressed.

If the value goes up any more I may have to trade it for an 1873! Ha! Just kidding (maybe).

Steve in N CA
Old 06-28-2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
I've never owned a 1873 but they do seem to cycle faster and slicker than any other, except for the other early Winchesters.
I recently bought a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt. The first thing I noticed was how very smooth the action was. It's a nice rifle for right around $850.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
They just never interested me, the action is too week for my liking. Great looking gun and it did win the west.

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 PM

“New” as in new from a shop. I’m sure there are plenty of unfired guns in private hands.
“The authority of constitutions over governments, and of the sovereignty of the people over constitutions, are truths which are at all times necessary to be kept in mind...” James Madison, The Report of 1800, Jan. 1, 1800.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution
Old 06-29-2020, 8:20 AM

While I am interested in the Taylor's color case hardened 357 magnum I also checked out the Henry website. They have a Big Boy color case hardened in 357 magnum for the same price I paid for my 45 Colt which is about $350 less than the Taylor's. The money is not so much of an issue but I would have to order the Henry while the Taylor's is there now. One other thing is that the Henry has checkering on the stock and front guard. I hate to be picky but I think the checkering takes away from the vintage look and I would notice that every time I took it out of the safe. That puts the Henry on the back burner.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:41 AM

Different clerks at Turners have told me the same thing, if a gun is not in the warehouse then there is no serial # assigned yet. You can get the deposit refunded if no serial# is assigned, otherwise have to apply your deposit to a different item. My experience from 2 different deposits at Turners has been:
1) ordered a Springfield 1911 MC OP, put down the minimum and had to wait with no date of ETA. Waited a month and ended up getting an off-roster MC OP, so transferred my deposit towards a CZ SP-01 that came in 6 weeks.
2) ordered a Browning Maxus in a specific camo, waited 2 months and decided to hunt for the gun elsewhere, deposit was refunded by check from corporate.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumi Naughty View Post
Different clerks at Turners have told me the same thing, if a gun is not in the warehouse then there is no serial # assigned yet. You can get the deposit refunded if no serial# is assigned, otherwise have to apply your deposit to a different item.
Clerk told me the same thing about full refund if no serial number assigned. Didn't mention applying deposit to different firearm if serial number is assigned, but I didn't ask. If I get a serial number, I'm buying, even if it takes months!

As I mentioned in previous post, the agreement says transaction is cancelled if not completed and gun picked up by date specified. If they can't deliver the gun by the date specified because they don't have it, there is no way they can keep your deposit. You will win that argument, if they even try to argue. In my case, the date specified was 30 days from deposit dte. In the current environment, I am happy to give them at least a month to try.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:59 AM

Well, I know me. If I had a deposit on a gun that became unavailable I would not take my deposit back. I would immediately put it on another gun.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazelag View Post
Thursday, I ordered the Marlin 1894 CSBL .357 from Turners in Victorville. They didn't have one in the warehouse and seemed iffy on it ever coming in.

My family member used to work there and said there is no automated list to keep track of orders and that a person just has to check each week to see if one came in. He said many times those orders end up sitting forever and not followed up on.

Does anyone know the process or know if Marlin will be shipping them to Turners in the Future?

Any suggestions to follow up with out being a pain?
Let us know if you do get it, I'm curious about inventory. I wanna order one, not from Turner's though.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
While I am interested in the Taylor's color case hardened 357 magnum I also checked out the Henry website. They have a Big Boy color case hardened in 357 magnum for the same price I paid for my 45 Colt which is about $350 less than the Taylor's. The money is not so much of an issue but I would have to order the Henry while the Taylor's is there now. One other thing is that the Henry has checkering on the stock and front guard. I hate to be picky but I think the checkering takes away from the vintage look and I would notice that every time I took it out of the safe. That puts the Henry on the back burner.
Which model Taylor's ? Lots of guys shy away from the Henry because of the top loading. I think that makes a better range toy because its easier to load then the side gate.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Which model Taylor's ? Lots of guys shy away from the Henry because of the top loading. I think that makes a better range toy because its easier to load then the side gate.
I didn't notice the actual model of the Taylor's. I guess I was too busy drooling over the rifle. It is a 357 magnum, color case hardened with the 20" octagon barrel. I just did a quick look online and it appears to be the 1873 Sporting Rifle.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Here's one on gunbroker.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872467807

I have no connection to the seller...

That one sold for $1895 and the other one is at $1900. I don’t understand it
Old 06-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I didn't notice the actual model of the Taylor's. I guess I was too busy drooling over the rifle. It is a 357 magnum, color case hardened with the 20" octagon barrel. I just did a quick look online and it appears to be the 1873 Sporting Rifle.
Not a great choice if you plan to shoot magnum rounds for very long. I guess you could just buy another one

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-29-2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Not a great choice if you plan to shoot magnum rounds for very long. I guess you could just buy another one
"Buying another one" is an option that I choose all to often.
My kids think that if I stopped spending so much money on guns I would spend more on them. How little they know.
Old 06-29-2020, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I recently bought a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt. The first thing I noticed was how very smooth the action was. It's a nice rifle for right around $850.
I have one of those with the 20" barrel. Damn good shooter; maybe my favorite to shoot, although my Henry .357 is a hoot also. That tube fed thing doesn't bother me. No maurading Indians here abouts. Do you handload for it?

MLC
Old 06-29-2020, 1:36 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Henrys vary greatly in weight depending on round or octagon barrel, as it shows on their website specifications.
Old 06-29-2020, 1:45 PM

Hope it arrives soon. We all deserve a little enjoyment from life.
Old 06-29-2020, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Buying another one" is an option that I choose all to often.
My kids think that if I stopped spending so much money on guns I would spend more on them. How little they know.
My son doesn't even ask anymore. Come to think of it, my wife doesn't ask either

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-29-2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Of course. You'd just spend it on ammo, accessories, range fees and training, right? Like anyone else.
Old 06-29-2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
I have one of those with the 20" barrel. Damn good shooter; maybe my favorite to shoot, although my Henry .357 is a hoot also. That tube fed thing doesn't bother me. No maurading Indians here abouts. Do you handload for it?
MLC
I just got the Henry recently so I haven't shot it yet. The indoor range near me does allow rifles on certain days so I hope to get it there soon. I have a Winchester Model 94 that I shot regularly when the San Gabriel outdoor range was still around.
I used to handload years ago and 45 Colt and 357 magnum were two of my regular loads. Lately I've been thinking about taking it up again.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
My son doesn't even ask anymore. Come to think of it, my wife doesn't ask either
Well, they don't whine too much because they know they're inheriting my guns some day. In fact, it's because I have three kids that I'm looking at the Taylor's for a third lever action. They'll pout if things don't work out evenly.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
Of course. You'd just spend it on ammo, accessories, range fees and training, right? Like anyone else.
If you have guns you need all the things that go with them, right?
Old 06-29-2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Well, they don't whine too much because they know they're inheriting my guns some day. In fact, it's because I have three kids that I'm looking at the Taylor's for a third lever action. They'll pout if things don't work out evenly.
Wow! A ready made excuse to buy three of everything. Jealous
Old 06-29-2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
Wow! A ready made excuse to buy three of everything. Jealous
It's a good thing I didn't have five kids.
I recently bought two Taylor's 1873 SA revolvers to pair up with my Winchester and Henry. Now I have the Taylor's Smokewagon 357 magnum in jail so I'm looking at the Taylor's 357 lever action to pair up with the Smokewagon.
I've convinced myself that it not only makes sense but it's necessary.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:33 PM
Get Off My Lawn!
CGN Contributor

OP, is this the rifle you ordered? If yes, she’s a beauty!

Just be persistent with Turners, you will be fine.

WTS !!! Tactical Garage Sale !!! Lots of Pic's
WTT Walther PPK-S, Blue and Desert Eagle 44 Mag, Satin Nickel
Old 06-29-2020, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Navajo Nation version

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-29-2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:

Those things look pretty handy alright. Did you shorten the stock on the bottom one? What is the LOP on it?
Old 06-29-2020, 8:03 PM

I think the top one may be the .45-70 as it has a longer barrel.
“The authority of constitutions over governments, and of the sovereignty of the people over constitutions, are truths which are at all times necessary to be kept in mind...” James Madison, The Report of 1800, Jan. 1, 1800.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution
Old 06-30-2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Navajo Nation version
But that's why they are now going for crazy prices on GB...if the Navajo get the bid on Big Green, they are dropping consumer sales and going for military contracts, just like Colt did way back when. Then they want to make smart guns for the public...wait til our legislators get wind of that, it will be a new handgun roster requirement.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-30-2020, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Here's one on gunbroker.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872467807

I have no connection to the seller...
It sold for $1895. I don't need it for that price. If things continue like this I will just wait until next year or some year when things calm down. I can live without.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:48 AM

Quote:

Yes thats the one. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2020, 7:49 AM

Was at the LGS yesterday. First time I'd been in since all this started. Surprised at the amount of firearms in stock. Lots of Kimbers and other semis, 5-10 whirlingpoppers of different interior bbl dimensions, LOTS of shotguns but very few rifles. Two bolts, two black rifles and 3 levers. A very nice Henry Long Ranger in .243, an Uberti 1873 in .357, (not quite as vibrant case coloring as ours above, but still a very NICE rifle), and an Uberti 1866 in .357. Plus they had an Uberti pump, their copy of the Colt Lightening that they don't make anymore also in .357. Of note was no price gouging. Prices were the same as I remember prior to pandemic/civil unrest. $12 and change for the 1873, $9 and change for the Henry. Same on the ammo I bought, what I would of paid prior.

Last edited by Horsewright; 06-30-2020 at 7:52 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 8:19 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^ ^ ^ Good to hear! And don't get me started on a replica Colt Lightning! I'd sure like to have one of those, but I've just shot my wad on a recent purchase.

Quote:

To clarify, there are two different model Marlin in the above-posted photo.

The one above is a Model 1895 SBL, chambered in .45-70 Government. It has a longer receiver and a round bolt like the Model 336.

Below is the Marlin 1894 SBL (.44 Magnum) or the Marlin 1894 CSBL (.357 Magnum, the chambering that the OP has selected). Externally, they look exactly the same (save for the size of hole and perhaps the barrel o.d. - not sure).

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-30-2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Was at the LGS yesterday. First time I'd been in since all this started. Surprised at the amount of firearms in stock. Lots of Kimbers and other semis, 5-10 whirlingpoppers of different interior bbl dimensions, LOTS of shotguns but very few rifles. Two bolts, two black rifles and 3 levers. A very nice Henry Long Ranger in .243, an Uberti 1873 in .357, (not quite as vibrant case coloring as ours above, but still a very NICE rifle), and an Uberti 1866 in .357. Plus they had an Uberti pump, their copy of the Colt Lightening that they don't make anymore also in .357. Of note was no price gouging. Prices were the same as I remember prior to pandemic/civil unrest. $12 and change for the 1873, $9 and change for the Henry. Same on the ammo I bought, what I would of paid prior.
If you give up their name/location, we can change that real quick...

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-30-2020, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
But that's why they are now going for crazy prices on GB...if the Navajo get the bid on Big Green, they are dropping consumer sales and going for military contracts, just like Colt did way back when. Then they want to make smart guns for the public...wait til our legislators get wind of that, it will be a new handgun roster requirement.
Wait! What? I thought it already was.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 06-30-2020, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just got the Henry recently so I haven't shot it yet. The indoor range near me does allow rifles on certain days so I hope to get it there soon. I have a Winchester Model 94 that I shot regularly when the San Gabriel outdoor range was still around.
I used to handload years ago and 45 Colt and 357 magnum were two of my regular loads. Lately I've been thinking about taking it up again.
GeeBee49, if decide to start handloading again, ask right here. Got a couple of loads for those two that will work nicely.

MLC