Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 PM

1. no time limit to as needed position. I was hired as needed and was made permanent after 4 months. Others I know took 2 years to be made permanent. right now you will work up to 64 hours a week.

2 no benefits. no retirement or medical. your injury would be covered if injured on duty but no regular medical for check ups until made permanent.

3 no step increases. it's an hourly salary and dependent on how many hours we need you. Although right now you will get as many hours as you want as we are extremely short staffed. we have alot if people leaving the department through resignations and early retirements. alot of people are leaving the department right now which benefits you as that opens up permanent positions.

4. the board voted to look at removing the halls and camps from probation and turning them over to department of mental health or create some new agency. If it happens, it will take years to happen. right now we still have over 400 open field positions and that number grows every week. if we lose the halls and camps, there are potentially plenty of open field positions for all those with 4 year degrees. there is also the potential that whatever agency took over, may want to hire some of our staff. we will see what happens.

Last edited by CaptMike; 09-16-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 5:32 PM

Wow, that doesn't sound very promising.
But the idea of becoming permanent and then being able to buy back my previous Plan D time and add it to my Plan E time will give me 20 years creditable county service in 10 more years. That's my ultimate plan. Unfortunately, the federal service I work in pays 1% over 30 years. VERY, VERY low.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 PM

you will also be able to buy any as needed time back as well when you become permanent. to prepare for it sign up for the 457 horizons plan on day 1 after the academy if they let you. put 8% of your pay in each month. and when you become perm, you use the money you put in there to buy the time back and no other money needed. if they dont offer the 457, then just sign up for a 401k on your own and put that 8% in there. when you buy your time in to plan D, it costs about 7.5%. good luck.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:01 AM

I forgot, since you were already in plan D, they may allow you to buy back in to D and still stay in D. the benefits are better than the new plan E.
Old 10-05-2019, 3:06 PM

Academy class may start on Nov 1. good luck to those that get the call.
Old 10-07-2019, 6:07 PM

I won't be in that class. I met my background investigator(BI) about 2 weeks ago. I was the first candidate that this particular BI had with the part time/as needed language contained within the backgrounds letter. The BI told me that it will take between 30-60 days for the background. I think during this time, once they run my NCIC and JAI, that I will be scheduled for psych and a polygraph. If I pass that, then it's the medical. If I pass that, then I'm put on a list of candidates ready to go to the academy. Does this sound about right, Captain Mike?
Old 10-07-2019, 7:19 PM

The department is playing it safe with new hires. Over the last couple of years the department has invested a lot of money hiring new staff, either fresh off the street or county transfers from other departments such as DPSS. The problem is new hires are not prepared to deal with the juveniles in our detention centers. They take the position with no knowledge of what they will be actually doing as a DSO or GSN. You are dealing with juveniles that are sometimes bigger than you, not willing to follow verbal commands, with violent backgrounds and gang entrenched. Then you add another 15-20 juveniles in the same unit with you and it's just you and one backup plus a senior DSO manning the center office, who is also in charge of the other side of the bldg with 20 kids and 2 staff.

New hires, are not willing to deal with the jobs duties. Some say it's too dangerous, some get hurt for having to engage and physically stop juveniles from fighting. So what do they do? They quit. The department has been investing a lot of money in each new hire to just have them quit. So they've decided to just hire temps with no benefits. Maybe a few months down the road if they see you're legit and have stayed around and rolled with the punches they'll offer you a permanent spot.

I have a friend who was called and offered a temp DSO position about 2 months ago. He was told he would be offered/guaranteed between 8-24 hrs a week as a DSO. He had a full-time job (40 hrs a week) with benefits already and was being asked to pick between that and 8-24 hrs and no benefits. He called me and asked for my advice. I understand he wanted to work for probation, it has been his dream job to work with juveniles since our days in college but to give up a steady, well paying job to "try" out with the probation department.....it's just too risky in my opinion. I will be honest, the benefits and opportunities are great in this department. The management could be better but as long as you're a hard worker they will not affect you.

Those are my two cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by JMCANO; 10-07-2019 at 7:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 8:42 PM

True^
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 PM

if you get offered an as needed DSzo position you will work as many hours as you want. expect 64 hours a week. Depending on where assigned, GSN will work 24 hours plus. if you hey a Hall, you can work 64 hours a week. if you get a camp, then the hours are less. good luck.
Old 10-13-2019, 2:17 PM

Hi Everyone!

I have several questions regarding the Psych Exam that Iím hoping you could answer.

What does the Psych Exam consist of?
True/False?
Multiple choice?
Strongly Agreeóó> Strongly Disagree?
Fill in the Blank?
Writing?
How long do you have to complete it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 5:43 PM

Capt Mike,

What changes will this have on hiring?

https://chronicleofsocialchange.org/...na-power/38079

Old 10-15-2019, 8:55 PM

the psych test is two parts. the first is the MMPI test. you can find lots of info online. the second part is the results from your mmpi are sent to a law enforcement clinician that discusses with you any anomolies from the MMPI and then does a full law enforcement psych evaluation to determine your fitness and judgement for a law enforcement job.

the new commissioners doesn't change anything at the line officer level. they are just a new oversight panel that can inspect and subpoena. nothing new. just another day working in law enforcement in california.
Old 10-16-2019, 2:53 PM

Thanks CaptMike!

I appreciate your prompt response. Is there a time limit? Is the written and oral psych on the same day?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 PM

the only time limit is is that your process expires after 1 year from the date of a conditional offer letter.

written and oral will be at least 3 to 4 weeks separated. they have to send out the written psych to be graded which takes a while. the results are then forwarded to the assigned psych. it takes time
Old 11-03-2019, 8:39 AM

Default LA Co Probation accepting applications for Deputy Probation Officer I

Written Exam
Date: 06/06/2018

Oral exam for DSO ( I was unable to go on the scheduled date, provided verified proof)
Date: 06/29/2018

Oral exam for GSN
Date: 07/19/2018

Tested into Band 1

Background Interview
8/20/2019

Polygraph
10/10/19

Received a letter that I was rescheduled for DSO Oral Exam on
10/21/19 exam scheduled for 11/2/19

Received Background Disqualification letter for DSO
11/1/19

I still attended the Oral Exam for DSO on
11/2/19

CaptMike or anyone who has gone through the process and could help me out,

I recently received a letter stating that I was disqualified during the background investigation because of conduct, judgment, and integrity. What does that mean? Should I appeal? What are the chances of me winning an appeal? I was entirely honest during my entire background investigation process. I am so bummed right now.

Last edited by mev18; 11-03-2019 at 8:48 AM..
Old 11-04-2019, 8:44 PM

Unfortunately I do not know the specifics of your background investigation. based on what you stated, this could be that the BI found something that showed poor judgement or choices in your history. It could be something as simple as having multiple traffic citations in a short period if time or having smoked marijuana recently to some type of history that was deemed to be not appropriate for the job. That does not mean that this will automatically prevent you from getting the job in the future. If I was in your situation, I would appeal. a certain number of appeals actually get their packet reviewed and then get offered a position. Dont lose hope. go through the appeal process and see what happens. Also, If it doesn't work right now, apply again next year and things may change. good luck.
Old 11-06-2019, 4:01 PM

Default LA Co Probation accepting applications for Deputy Probation Officer I

CaptMike,

Thank you so much for always taking the time to respond. You have been super informative in your collective posts. Iím sure everyone here appreciates your ongoing contribution to this forum. Also, thanks for giving me a sense of hope when things didnít go the way I anticipated.

Last edited by mev18; 11-06-2019 at 6:46 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 6:20 AM

I heard that 200 dso items that the dept wants to hire by Jan. 2020, the dept don't even have funding for. Just prep work in case we get funds for. Now that is really cruel playing with those people hopes.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:32 PM

Yes, that is correct. We do not have the funding right now to hire permanent staff, that is why the folks applying are being offered as needed positions. If the board approves reducing the supervision ratio to 1 to 5, then those as needed may become permanent pretty quick. Also, we are still so short staffed that the as neededs will get as many hours as they want plus more. they could work 64 hours a week if they want.

That's how I was hired, as needed and made permanent after 4 months.