Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-03-2018, 7:50 PM

Default Easy Way To Meet Florida CCW Requirements

Florida has one of the most valuable multi-state licenses. However, it requires proof of competency with a firearm, which can be fulfilled in a number of different ways, but many of these require attending a course and doing a live fire competency demonstration. This can be pricey and time-consuming.

One alternative though is a hunters' education course licensed by the state's "Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state." The NRA has an entirely online course, approved by Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, which is free but for a $10 fee that is forwarded to Oregon to issue a certificate. This enables you to fulfill Florida's competency requirement without getting up from your couch. You can apply online as well, and you will just need to get your fingerprints ink-rolled at a police department/sheriff's office.

https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/C...tivityInfoPage

You can also use Texas, which is similarly an entirely online process. Don't do Florida (has in-person component), Connecticut (same), or New Mexico (complicated process).
Old 09-04-2018, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

They have an online system that meets a requirement for in-person live-fire?

it's amazing what you can do with computers these days. :-)
Old 09-04-2018, 5:07 PM

Interesting Califpatriot, does my CA Hunter Education/Certificate satisfy FL requirement?

I did have to fire five shots at the target at 25 yards with with .22 long rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post

It doesn't have a live-fire requirement. Here's the competency requirement:

Quote:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;
The Oregon hunters' ed certificate falls under (h)(1), which doesn't require live fire.
Old 09-04-2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Interesting Califpatriot, does my CA Hunter Education/Certificate satisfy FL requirement?
Yes.
Old 09-04-2018, 6:02 PM

They used to accept your DD214. Bob.
Old 09-04-2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFam View Post
They used to accept your DD214. Bob.
They still do, and you get expedited processing.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Yes.

Started my FL CCW process using CA Hunter Ed. Thanks Califpatriot for the recommendation.

Old 12-12-2018, 5:42 AM

Received a letter several weeks ago saying that I didn't submit proof of firearm competency with the word "online" on the Oregon training certificate circled. Upon calling, they said it was because it was online training which doesn't have a live fire requirement. Doesn't need a live-fire requirement. I sent them a detailed letter going through the statute and demonstrating they are obligated to issue the permit. I also sent a "hunter education card" issued by the Oregon DFW which doesn't say the word online--sometimes with bureaucracies, things like that can be helpful. (I should have sent that in initially.)

My 90 days are coming up in about a week but they have suspended the clock because not all the documents are in. Of course, all of the documents actually are in. If I don't hear from them shortly, I will demand an administrative hearing under Florida Statutes Chapter 120. I see this as being as close to a slam dunk as possible if I can actually get through to a person to make my case who has authority to reverse the decision.
Old 12-12-2018, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Received a letter several weeks ago saying that I didn't submit proof of firearm competency with the word "online" on the Oregon training certificate circled. Upon calling, they said it was because it was online training which doesn't have a live fire requirement. Doesn't need a live-fire requirement. I sent them a detailed letter going through the statute and demonstrating they are obligated to issue the permit. I also sent a "hunter education card" issued by the Oregon DFW which doesn't say the word online--sometimes with bureaucracies, things like that can be helpful. (I should have sent that in initially.)

My 90 days are coming up in about a week but they have suspended the clock because not all the documents are in. Of course, all of the documents actually are in. If I don't hear from them shortly, I will demand an administrative hearing under Florida Statutes Chapter 120. I see this as being as close to a slam dunk as possible if I can actually get through to a person to make my case who has authority to reverse the decision.
I have never heard of anyone getting a Florida CCW without live-fire. Let me know if you end up getting it and the time frame...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-12-2018, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Unless someone is planning on carrying on FL, getting an AZ permit is cheaper, easier to get, good for 5 years and covers every state that FL does except for FL.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-12-2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Unless someone is planning on carrying on FL, getting an AZ permit is cheaper, easier to get, good for 5 years and covers every state that FL does except for FL.
Florida is good for 8 years and $97...about $12 per year. Arizona is $60 for 5 years...$12 per year. Utah and Florida combined gets you the most states currently. I always recommend getting Utah, Florida, and Arizona.

Edit: I just looked at my Florida permit and it is actually 7 years not 8 years...price per year is about $14. I still recommend getting all 3...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900

Last edited by Whites of Their Eyes; 12-12-2018 at 2:19 PM.. Reason: bad info
Old 12-12-2018, 5:41 PM

anyone get florida yet? why get arizona if you have california? arizona doesn't give you much more than california right? i looked at ccw map and trying to figure out if it's worth it?
Old 12-12-2018, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
anyone get florida yet? why get arizona if you have california? arizona doesn't give you much more than california right? i looked at ccw map and trying to figure out if it's worth it?
CA gets you 28 states. If you add AZ it adds 7 for a total of 35. If you add FL in lieu of AZ you get 36 (adds FL). But neither get you WA. To get WA, you can either go there or get a UT. For OR, you have to go there.
Old 12-13-2018, 5:14 AM

Yup. The likelyhood of driving to those other states are rare. Oregon and Washington are neighboring states. Which are hard to get unless you make the drive to south Oregon. I’ve already all the counties near Portland and got a big no. People still need to focus on California!!
Old 12-13-2018, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Because CA ccw is impossible to get for half the law abiding gun owners in the stste
Old 12-13-2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
I have never heard of anyone getting a Florida CCW without live-fire. Let me know if you end up getting it and the time frame...
Will do. Should be interesting.
Old 12-13-2018, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Yup. The likelyhood of driving to those other states are rare. Oregon and Washington are neighboring states. Which are hard to get unless you make the drive to south Oregon. I’ve already all the counties near Portland and got a big no. People still need to focus on California!!
You can add Washington by getting a Utah permit. Getting Utah and Florida (combined) get you the most states which is 35. If you have California, Utah, and Florida, you get 37 states. I always recommend getting Arizona as well because reciprocity changed quite often. Currently, Arizona is issuing their permit quicker than both Utah and Florida. However, that has gone back & forth over the years.

Again, they are all relatively cheap so I recommend getting all 3...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-13-2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Will do. Should be interesting.
Ya, Florida is having a lot of issues with their CCW's right now (among other things). As you may know, they had issues with not running the background checks last year.

Their Agriculture department issues their CCW's. Their incoming Ag commissioner is very anti-gun, but is a shall issue state. There is talk about moving the CCW unit from the Ag department. We will see...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-13-2018, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
CA gets you 28 states. If you add AZ it adds 7 for a total of 35. If you add FL in lieu of AZ you get 36 (adds FL). But neither get you WA. To get WA, you can either go there or get a UT. For OR, you have to go there.
Which 28 states? The maps I'm using only says 25 states with CA and 33 with CA and AZ.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Which 28 states? The maps I'm using only says 25 states with CA and 33 with CA and AZ.
Don't forget Maine and New Hampshire are Constitutional Carry states

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-17-2018, 6:03 PM

for those that try other states before california,,, try california! it's not that bad! unless you're in LA than youre beyond kinda of sorta screwed.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:48 AM

I got my FL without live fire.. just took the 5 arrow tactical course (Darren Harlow) that's advertised on calguns. The only hard part was getting the prints done by a LEO agency, but Glendale PD does it. Need an appointment.
Old 12-18-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruwrx View Post
I got my FL without live fire.. just took the 5 arrow tactical course (Darren Harlow) that's advertised on calguns. The only hard part was getting the prints done by a LEO agency, but Glendale PD does it. Need an appointment.
In order for it to count for Florida, per their statute, it is supposed to have live-fire if it was either a state certified class or an NRA instructor. Florida has had a lot of issues with their CCW's recently, including not completing background checks. You may have squeaked by. If something ever comes of it, it will likely fall on your instructor.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-18-2018, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I should have noted that the 28 states includes Maine, New Hampshire and West Virginia.
Old 12-18-2018, 7:10 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post

Florida does not specifically require live-fire, it's just that most courses available that satisfy the requirement (such as NRA basic handgun) do.
Like AZ, any NRA course satisfies the requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-18-2018, 7:14 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
In order for it to count for Florida, per their statute, it is supposed to have live-fire if it was either a state certified class or an NRA instructor. Florida has had a lot of issues with their CCW's recently, including not completing background checks. You may have squeaked by. If something ever comes of it, it will likely fall on your instructor.
I don't see a specific live-fire requirement....

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Con...-Documentation
Quote:
Approved Training Courses

To qualify for a concealed weapon license, Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm. A copy of a Certificate of Completion or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
  • Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
Training Certificate Requirements

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:
  • Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the state of Florida, etc.) and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.
For Active Military and Veterans

• Active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm experience with a firearm gained during service:
    • Military orders including call to active-duty letter;
    • A statement of military service that identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period (it must be signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer or commander of your unit or higher headquarters);
  • Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.
Other Acceptable Forms of Training Documentation

Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in an organized shooting competition is also acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-19-2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I don't see a specific live-fire requirement....

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Con...-Documentation
This is their official instructions for filling out the application:

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/con...structions.pdf

Please read question 6, specifically, the please note section...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-19-2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Florida does not specifically require live-fire, it's just that most courses available that satisfy the requirement (such as NRA basic handgun) do.
Like AZ, any NRA course satisfies the requirement.
The section that requires live-fire is 790.06(h) of the Florida Statutes, which was quoted by the OP. It requires it for any NRA, state course, or course by an NRA instructor.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-19-2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
The section that requires live-fire is 790.06(h) of the Florida Statutes, which was quoted by the OP. It requires it for any NRA, state course, or course by an NRA instructor.
Correct. But not for hunters' ed.

I reached out to the head of the licensing division explaining this and he responded personally to me within minutes, thanking me for bringing this to his attention and promising to look into this. Don't know what they'll do, but California state government would just blow you off.
Old 12-19-2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:

I reached out to the head of the licensing division explaining this and he responded personally to me within minutes, thanking me for bringing this to his attention and promising to look into this. Don't know what they'll do, but California state government would just blow you off.
Yes, I was referring only to the state certified firearms safety classes and/or classes by NRA instructors. I tried to make sure I directed my responses to be specific as some other responses contained inaccurate and/or misleading information.

The Hunter's ed appears as though it may be a workaround. The "similar agency" of another state part is the part I am worried about and they definitely seem to be slowing it down. I am curious to see what comes of this. Please keep us posted. My interpretation of the Florida law agrees with yours.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-27-2018, 5:58 AM

It worked. Issued yesterday without live fire.
Old 12-27-2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:
That is awesome!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Nice, how many days did it take for them to issue? My app has been 15 weeks since I applied online. Thanks

Old 12-27-2018, 12:47 PM

After applying online, it was about another 3 weeks until they received my fingerprints. At that point, the application was complete. From that point, it was about 60 days until they mailed the incomplete notification telling me that proof of competency was insufficient. Within 7 days, they had received a fax from me contesting that decision. No action was taken on that for 15 days, at which point I escalated it. Within 10 days of me escalating it, the license was issued. Overall, right around 90 days.

15 weeks seems long. Has it been 15 weeks since they received your fingerprints? Because the 90 day clock doesn't start until all documents have been submitted.
Old 12-27-2018, 2:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

I got mine without live fire too. I called before I applied and asked if they will accept my CA hunters ed. I didn’t bring up the fact that there was no live fire.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 12-27-2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:

15 weeks seems long. Has it been 15 weeks since they received your fingerprints? Because the 90 day clock doesn't start until all documents have been submitted.

Yes, that’s what I thought. Applied online on 9/11, submitted/sent fingerprints 9/12, they received 9/14.
I never received anything indicated incomplete. Online status received and in processing, I also chatted with them 3 weeks ago, they just said call back in 3/4 weeks. I will call them next week.

Old 12-27-2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
I got mine without live fire too. I called before I applied and asked if they will accept my CA hunters ed. I didn’t bring up the fact that there was no live fire.
Problem with mine was that I submitted the Oregon DFW certificate that was generated online immediately after I had completed the course, and it had the phrase "Online Hunter's Education." That got them all worked up. Oregon's DFW also sends you a "hunter's education card" that doesn't mention it is from an online education class. Had I waited a few weeks until I got that card in the mail and sent that instead of the certificate of completion, it likely would have avoided this whole mess.
Old 12-27-2018, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Problem with mine was that I submitted the Oregon DFW certificate that was generated online immediately after I had completed the course, and it had the phrase "Online Hunter's Education." That got them all worked up. Oregon's DFW also sends you a "hunter's education card" that doesn't mention it is from an online education class. Had I waited a few weeks until I got that card in the mail and sent that instead of the certificate of completion, it likely would have avoided this whole mess.

Ahhh. That explains it. I usually send copies of my other non-resident CCW permits along with my application. I figure it wouldn’t hurt especially if it’s a state that they have reciprocity with. I think I received my FL permit within 30-40 days.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 12-28-2018, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats dude. FWIW, I also have my NV permit, so if you wanted to qualify for NV, OR, WA,FL,AZ,UT - I would recommend making a trip out of it and get it all done in NV @ any NRA certified class (took mine @ 702 Rage) and that was with Live Fire to cover any Non-Rez permits that would require it - and you get NV which requires you take the class in the county you apply.

Be safe!