Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-06-2019, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Louis Rossmann's "APPLE GENIUS BAR STRIKES AGAIN!"

Phanboiz will cry for a ban, again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RlVC3xwJN0
Old 08-06-2019, 6:28 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Oh the Apple... it burns...

Had you bought some a few years ago, you could have paid off your cc debt by now.
Old 08-07-2019, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Oh the Apple... it burns...

Had you bought some a few years ago, you could have paid off your cc debt by now.
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I did buy my house at the end of 2009 (which came with a separate computer/office/reloading bedroom)... even if the bubble might pop in the next 5 years:

However, I am STILL stacking PMs like Brass, Lead, and Copper deeper than most Apple fanboys, and won't pay the TAX/Check/extortion fee for YEARS...
Old 08-07-2019, 3:50 PM

So apple hired a halfwit to diagnose their products, not earth shattering news. Have you ever talked to a bestbuy geek squad repair person? Neither of those company's pay for quality employees. The best bet is to learn to do the repairs yourself. That way you don't have to get your panties in a bunch about apple fanboys/android fanboys that think different about something then you do.
Old 08-07-2019, 5:05 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I did buy my house at the end of 2009 (which came with a separate computer/office/reloading bedroom)... even if the bubble might pop in the next 5 years:

However, I am STILL stacking PMs like Brass, Lead, and Copper deeper than most Apple fanboys, and won't pay the TAX/Check/extortion fee for YEARS...
"APPLE" and oranges. Glad you bought a home. Glad it doubled.

Had you bought APPL at the same time, it's up 5 times. But... you need a place to live. So that's not the same issue right?

You're doing fine from what I've read. But your hate for a successful company like apple makes no sense. Let it go. It's too bad you talked your dad out of his
APPL investments. He'd probably be rolling in dough!

And PS, there's no housing bubble currently. The one (mid 2000's) you are familiar with was created by Bawny Fwank. No similar conditions exist today.

And PSS. Many of us bought homes decades before you. We also already "stacked" everything we need for the foreseeable future. We now buy what we want. Prepping has been pretty well covered.
Old 08-08-2019, 3:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
...It's too bad you talked your dad out of his
APPL investments. He'd probably be rolling in dough!
He bought a house ~two blocks from Hunting Beach at the top of the market...

When a company blatantly lies to customers, one cannot simply call them on it, or spread the word, on Calguns.

Last edited by the86d; 08-08-2019 at 3:44 AM..
Old 08-09-2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
So apple hired a halfwit to diagnose their products, not earth shattering news. Have you ever talked to a bestbuy geek squad repair person? Neither of those company's pay for quality employees. The best bet is to learn to do the repairs yourself. That way you don't have to get your panties in a bunch about apple fanboys/android fanboys that think different about something then you do.
About ten years ago, I was looking at joining "The Geek Squad"..... They said I was "over qualified".

"Office Depot" wanted to hire me as the shop manager. I almost took the job, but when they started explaining "policy", there were several things they do, that I feel is unethical. I didn't take the job.

Was offered a job at Staples...... Well, I don't fix/built computers for $11/hr.

I opened my own repair business here, and it's "moderately" successful at times, very successful at other times, but I do probably 70% of all laptop repairs locally, and growing.

The problem with the "Big Box" computer stores, they either have some unethical practices, or don't pay enough.

A computer repairman isn't a McDonalds employee, and deserves a living wage.
Old 08-09-2019, 1:33 PM

"A computer repairman isn't a McDonalds employee, and deserves a living wage."

They sure do but none of the companies like apple or bestbuy will pay them that. Plus I know for a fact that bestbuy doesn't treat their employees right. At least the one my son worked at.
Old 08-09-2019, 2:01 PM

Care to elaborate on some of the unethical practices?
Old 08-09-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
It's in the video.Pretty interesting.Not susprising to me.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Sure... Telling a customer that it would be cheaper to buy a NEW laptop, rather than fixing their OLD one, that they like (I'm a repairman, not a salesman). This is SELDOM true nowadays. Unless you're changing a motherboard on a bottom of the barrel, budget model, this is far from true. Unfortunately, most people believe this lie.

Using "refurbed", or used equipment, instead of new, and charging it out as "new".

Removing an "Earth-shattering" virus, that took "all their skills" to do, when all they needed was a good cleanup, and charging extra. I charge a $60 flat rate on any repair that ends up being a clean up/maintenance issue. THIS includes virus removal. I charge $30 to do a factory reset, program re-install, unless I already have that customers image. In which case, I charge $10, unless they're under my warranty plan. $60, is what I charge per hour. As I said before, nothing I can't fix, in under an hour. If part replacement is needed, then it's $60+the part.

Corner cutting. I won't even buy DOG FOOD at Fry's. I know WAY too many ex-employee's there, and have my own experiences there.

Doing things like cutting wires, and re-splicing, instead of taking something apart to fix.

One store had a policy (no longer), of keeping a computer overnight unnecessarily, in order to charge more... I can COMPLETELY tear ANY laptop down, repair it, and have it up, and running in under an hour (except for Macs). There's NO excuse for this. If you want to install USED parts, you MUST ask the customer if they mind, BEFORE doing this, and tell them the risks.

One of the reasons some places do this, instead of pulling a NEW part off the shelf, they'll wait to get another model a customer has broken, and buys a new one, leaving the old one to be "recycled" (sometimes, being charged a recycling fee), then take a part out of the broken, used machine, and install it as a "new" part, in another customers machine. Usually, ram, display (if it matches), and disk storage.

Replacing IPS screens, with a TN panel, and charging out an IPS panel. You wouldn't believe how often they get by with this one.

Keeping a copy of customers "private" pictures, and/or data.

Swapping out SSD/HDD's unnecessarily, and charging a premium for it, then installing the old SSD/HDD into another customers computer, and charging them for a "new" SSD/HDD. The horror of this? They don't wipe the old drive. They simply re-format it.

Charging customers for mistakes THEY make....... THIS is probably the most common one.

Shall I go on?

Last edited by Dragunov; 08-10-2019 at 2:21 AM..
Old 08-10-2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
"A computer repairman isn't a McDonalds employee, and deserves a living wage."

They sure do but none of the companies like apple or bestbuy will pay them that. Plus I know for a fact that bestbuy doesn't treat their employees right. At least the one my son worked at.
I know they don't. During my interview there, I told them there are certain practices I would NOT involve myself in. That's when they decided that I was "over-qualified".
They don't want you knowing "too much".

Apple service is CRAP. Macs are a PITA to repair, and half the time, it doesn't get done right. Louis Rossmann has a THOUSAND horror stories on Macs.

This is one of many reasons I don't own a MacBook, or buy things at "Big Box" stores, or buy NEW computers. I'd rather get "Last years model" and do my own repairs and upgrades.

Last edited by Dragunov; 08-10-2019 at 1:39 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 4:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

https://youtu.be/_hYHwkIuEMo