Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-09-2020, 10:40 PM

Default What is the actual shooting portion of the LA CCW test?

I've been looking all over the internet and I can't find the same course of fire for any of the CCW qualification courses. The videos or articles that I've found all have different courses of fire. Some have you shooting from three distances (15 feet, 7 feet, and 3 feet). Some have you shoot from just two distances. Some are timed tests, and some are just accuracy with no time limit. Some say 5 shots, some 6. Haha.

Can any of you tell me what exactly you had to do for the shooting portion of your CCW exam? I can't find that info for Los Angeles anywhere.

Thank you!

jerdog3
Old 09-09-2020, 10:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

LA county CCW?

Seriously, the reason you can't find this information is because there are so few people who actually have a CCW in LA County.

The topic of getting a CCW in LA County has been beat to death on this forum. Use the search function and you will find out.

People generally recommend moving to a different county if you want a CCW because it isn't going to happen in LA County.

Last edited by Paseclipse; 09-09-2020 at 10:51 PM..
Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
LA county CCW?

Seriously, the reason you can't find this information is because there are so few people who actually have a CCW in LA County.

The topic of getting a CCW in LA County has been beat to death on this forum. Use the search function and you will find out.
Haha! That's a funny imoji! I get it, or I should say, I know I won't get it (a CCW that is), but I want to try. I'm a good person with no criminal history. I have done some very good things in my life, feeding the homeless, volunteering at the special olympics, and much more. And I have trained a lot with top instructors. If there is any way a citizen in Los Angeles can get a CCW, I think I have a chance (like in Dumb and Dumber! Haha!).

I'll look for the info again, but I'd like to hear what people have to say here.

Thanks for the laugh. I really do like that imoji!
Old 09-10-2020, 3:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post
Haha! That's a funny imoji! I get it, or I should say, I know I won't get it (a CCW that is), but I want to try. I'm a good person with no criminal history. I have done some very good things in my life, feeding the homeless, volunteering at the special olympics, and much more. And I have trained a lot with top instructors. If there is any way a citizen in Los Angeles can get a CCW, I think I have a chance (like in Dumb and Dumber! Haha!).

I'll look for the info again, but I'd like to hear what people have to say here.

Your philanthropy is admirable, however, it will make ZERO difference in your chances for getting a CCW in L.A. County. Don't even bother trying!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 09-10-2020, 3:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP has a dream lethim live it out. Makes no differenece in LA if you are a saint and the devil is chasing you no ccw here. Who knows what the quals are since no one has taken them since Parker was chief. (LOL)
Old 09-10-2020, 6:16 AM

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

What are the golden gates of heaven like?

The shooting portion of the LA CCW involves knowing there is no such thing as an LA CCW.
Old 09-10-2020, 6:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecklerNKoch View Post
The shooting portion of the LA CCW involves knowing there is no such thing as an LA CCW.

Oh I'm quite sure the protected classes can have them.

Probably no qual required.
Old 09-10-2020, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Oh I'm quite sure the protected classes can have them.

Probably no qual required.
Even then doubtful. Truly elite persons don't bother carrying guns, getting in harm's way. They have staff of around the clock security personnel.
Old 09-10-2020, 6:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you've had almost any sort of pro training the shooting portion of the LA CCW is the least of your worries.

Go for it and good luck.

To answer your question - "Can any of you tell me what exactly you had to do for the shooting portion of your CCW exam?"
Riverside
18 rounds fired;
6 at 15 yards,
6 at 10,
6 at 7.
70 percent on target.
No time limit

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member

Last edited by Jimvh2; 09-10-2020 at 6:54 AM..
Old 09-10-2020, 7:36 AM

Quote:

Why would you want a denial on your future record? My Riverside CCW, for example, asks if I ever been denied a CCW before. Maybe not a big deal, but I like to check all those "No" check boxes for simplicity of the process. Don't waste your time and money with LA elitists.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimvh2 View Post
If you've had almost any sort of pro training the shooting portion of the LA CCW is the least of your worries.

Go for it and good luck.

To answer your question - "Can any of you tell me what exactly you had to do for the shooting portion of your CCW exam?"
Riverside
18 rounds fired;
6 at 15 yards,
6 at 10,
6 at 7.
70 percent on target.
No time limit
Thank you for answering my question!

To everyone else, Hahahahaha! Man you guys are funny. Haha! At first I was getting annoyed that nobody was answering my question and telling me to stop trying, but every time I read another answer, I started smiling, then chuckling, and then laughing! If Jim didn't answer my question, I'd have fallen out of my chair! Haha Oh man! So it's true what they say. Only cops and criminals get to carry guns in Los Angeles.

Having said that, I'd still like to try and I'd also like to hear what you did on your shooting qualification. Who knows, you may help me start something here. An avalanche starts with a single stone. I'm not sure that's actually true, or an actual saying, but lets stay positive guys.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jerdog3
Old 09-10-2020, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

jerdog3

This is the thread to ask your LA Co CCW application questions and where to find out the latest intel re the sheriff’s claim to be issuing more CCWs. Read the last 2 or 3 pages of posts.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352761

Last edited by Paladin; 09-10-2020 at 11:37 AM..
Old 09-10-2020, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

How many of those things did you do directly for the benefit of the sheriff? And even if you did it would probably require a bag of dead presidents too.
Old 09-10-2020, 1:37 PM

The most important part of applying for a CCW in LA Co is the "good cause statement". That's where everyone gets denied.
Old 09-10-2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Don't even bother trying!
I think that this is a common attitude that contributes to the reason that there's no issue of permits. Forget about the political stance of the Sheriff. Think about demand. If everyone says "eff it, why bother" then there's no applications. No applications shows there's no interest and therefore the Sheriff thinks no one cares about CCW. When they look at the stats, if there are any, maybe it shows that CCW permit applications are so little the County people don't need to consider change. Not voicing means no change to the current standing. I don't know how it all works, but that's my logic and my beliefs. Sitting around and cracking sarcasm at people trying isn't going to get anything done. I just figure why not try.

Good on the OP @jerdog3 for applying and trying. I applied knowing that I would get denied. But I wanted to be someone that voiced interest rather than sitting back and waiting for something to happen.
Old 09-10-2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowShootist View Post

I applied knowing that I would get denied.
I still don't understand this logic though, an average person has zero chance of getting CCW in LA but applies anyway; is it just to get on the denied party stats?

I think the better approach would be to try to elect Sheriff that is pro CCW. Just my $.02

Last edited by LoadedM333; 09-11-2020 at 5:55 AM..
Old 09-10-2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
I think that this is a common attitude that contributes to the reason that there's no issue of permits. Forget about the political stance of the Sheriff. Think about demand. If everyone says "eff it, why bother" then there's no applications. No applications shows there's no interest and therefore the Sheriff thinks no one cares about CCW. When they look at the stats, if there are any, maybe it shows that CCW permit applications are so little the County people don't need to consider change. Not voicing means no change to the current standing. I don't know how it all works, but that's my logic and my beliefs. Sitting around and cracking sarcasm at people trying isn't going to get anything done. I just figure why not try.

Good on the OP @jerdog3 for applying and trying. I applied knowing that I would get denied. But I wanted to be someone that voiced interest rather than sitting back and waiting for something to happen.
Thank you WS!
I totally agree. If everyone who wanted one applied, and had actual good cause, we can make a case that we are having our rights denied us. But if only 500 out of 10,000,000 apply, it's not that bid of a problem in their eyes I guess.
Old 09-10-2020, 4:59 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
What is the actual shooting portion of the LA CCW test?

I've been looking all over the internet and I can't find the same course of fire for any of the CCW qualification courses. The videos or articles that I've found all have different courses of fire. Some have you shooting from three distances (15 feet, 7 feet, and 3 feet). Some have you shoot from just two distances. Some are timed tests, and some are just accuracy with no time limit. Some say 5 shots, some 6. Haha.

Can any of you tell me what exactly you had to do for the shooting portion of your CCW exam? I can't find that info for Los Angeles anywhere.
LOS ANGELES COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT (01-2019)

Shooting Proficiency Standards With Regards to Required Live-Fire Shooting Exercises (For Issuance of CCW Licenses)

Required Target: NRA standard B-27 target

Total number of rounds to be fired: 72.

Course of fire: 24 rounds fired without time limitation at each of the three distances as specified.

Firing distances: 3 yards, 5 yards, and 7 yards.

Minimum passing score: 70 percent of rounds fired at each distance (17 of 24 rounds) must score within the 7-ring of the B-27 target.

Other requirements: The student shall be required to safely load, unload, and reload their handgun during the course of fire.

This course of fire shall be required for the first firearm the applicant will be licensed to carry. All subsequent firearm qualification courses of fire shall consist of 20 total rounds (10 rounds at 5 yards and 10 rounds at 7 yards). The passing score will remain 70 percent of hits (7 of 10 rounds) within the 7-ring of the B-27 target at each distance.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-10-2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:

Disagree. All the sheriff has to do is see how many permits are issued in the surrounding counties. Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties are flush with approved applications. He doesn't care and, IMHO, the more denials he has on his record the better position he is in with his masters. He's a politician first and a law enforcement officer second.

The LAST thing I would want is a denial on my application.
Old 09-10-2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you WS!
I totally agree. If everyone who wanted one applied, and had actual good cause, we can make a case that we are having our rights denied us. But if only 500 out of 10,000,000 apply, it's not that bid of a problem in their eyes I guess.
That's the rub. The sheriff determines what he deems "good cause." It's very subjective, not objective at all.
Old 09-10-2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
LOS ANGELES COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT (01-2019)

Shooting Proficiency Standards With Regards to Required Live-Fire Shooting Exercises (For Issuance of CCW Licenses)

Required Target: NRA standard B-27 target

Total number of rounds to be fired: 72.

Course of fire: 24 rounds fired without time limitation at each of the three distances as specified.

Firing distances: 3 yards, 5 yards, and 7 yards.

Minimum passing score: 70 percent of rounds fired at each distance (17 of 24 rounds) must score within the 7-ring of the B-27 target.

Other requirements: The student shall be required to safely load, unload, and reload their handgun during the course of fire.

This course of fire shall be required for the first firearm the applicant will be licensed to carry. All subsequent firearm qualification courses of fire shall consist of 20 total rounds (10 rounds at 5 yards and 10 rounds at 7 yards). The passing score will remain 70 percent of hits (7 of 10 rounds) within the 7-ring of the B-27 target at each distance.
Quiet, when you do "speak" you say a lot! Thank you for this!!!
Old 09-10-2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
The most important part of applying for a CCW in LA Co is the "good cause statement". That's where everyone gets denied.
That's akin to an urban legend.

If Shakespeare or Voltaire were to conjure a good cause would it suffice?

If you hired a think tank to propose one for you, you'd still get denied.

A good cause is nothing more than tangible matter to deny.

The reality is the city has pre-determined that it shall not give out CCWs.

Don't take the above statement as an absolute. There will always be a diplomat or a temporary issue to a consulate official. I am describing the ordinary.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:50 PM

I believe that you have to shoot the nads off of a gnat at 100 yards to qualify for a CCW in LA County, or move to Orange County, whichever is easiest...
Old 09-11-2020, 7:38 AM

Quote:

Villanueva knows that CCW is not an issue to worry about in LA County elections. Bob Lindsey, a pro-CCW candidate, got less than 20% votes in 2018 primary. AV can deny as many CCWs as he wants and still be re-elected due to the majority of the LA County voters being liberal left who still believe guns are bad. In fact, the more CCW applications he denies, the better he looks in the eyes of his constituents by "keeping the guns off the street" and "saving babies". You know the narrative.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demisx View Post
Villanueva knows that CCW is not an issue to worry about in LA County elections. Bob Lindsey, a pro-CCW candidate, got less than 20% votes in 2018 primary. AV can deny as many CCWs as he wants and still be re-elected due to the majority of the LA County voters being liberal left who still believe guns are bad. In fact, the more CCW applications he denies, the better he looks in the eyes of his constituents by "keeping the guns off the street" and "saving babies". You know the narrative.
Yea thats one way to look at it. But denials are people wanting to take the legal venue to carry. By denying them actually means promoting illegal carry. And yes, I know the people that put Villanueva there won't see that.

So the general consensus is to do nothing... Sounds like one of them, damn if you do and damned if you don't, situations haaha.
Old 09-11-2020, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demisx View Post
Well AV also touted that he’d issue more than his predecessor (we all know it’s a lie now) where GC wasn’t impossible to achieve.

iTrader
Old 09-14-2020, 9:10 PM

One of the questions on the CCW application is if you've ever been rejected for a CCW. I suspect answering in the affirmative is a negative point. Given that LA County won't issue to you anyway, I would think you would be better off not applying until you move to a better county.
Mauserguy
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
One of the questions on the CCW application is if you've ever been rejected for a CCW. I suspect answering in the affirmative is a negative point. Given that LA County won't issue to you anyway, I would think you would be better off not applying until you move to a better county.
Mauserguy
2 things Mauser Guy.

1. Quint is one of the single greatest characters in move history. Good job on your choice of avatars.

2. I look at getting denied a CCW in Los Angeles like losing a fight to Mike Tyson. Would you really hold that against a person? I'm guessing any place I might move to, and unless I win the lottery I ain't moving, will recognize that.

jerdog3
Old 09-15-2020, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's akin to an urban legend.

If Shakespeare or Voltaire were to conjure a good cause would it suffice?

If you hired a think tank to propose one for you, you'd still get denied.

A good cause is nothing more than tangible matter to deny.

The reality is the city has pre-determined that it shall not give out CCWs.

Don't take the above statement as an absolute. There will always be a diplomat or a temporary issue to a consulate official. I am describing the ordinary.
Are you seriously suggesting that CCWs are issued to foreign nationals by the sheriff in LA county? I'd be interested in seeing some evidence of this, and I know a few guys who survived the clinton purge of DSS that would also be interested.

OP as opposed to giving the government any more of my money than I absolutely have to, I think giving $10 to the first homeless person you see will be just as effective in your quest. Of course the big difference is you'll at least have some idea where your money went.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:01 PM

Let's address the "white elephant" in the room. You will need to show that you are a BLM, ANTIFA, and Greenpeace supporter as a life long ambition. You love Hollywood, and have dedicated your life to Barbara Boxer, Barbara Streisand, Diane Feinstein, Taylor Swift, and are an avid practicing member of the AME Church. Heck you've even attended Al Sharpton's daughter's wedding and met her kids. Now you are Golden and they will hand deliver your CCW to your residence with 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

There, I've given you and the rest of Los Angeles the answer in how to achieve not only a handgun CCW but approval for automatic weapon possession. Just say thank you.

Other than all of the above, you are hosed brother.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Let's address the "white elephant" in the room. You will need to show that you are a BLM, ANTIFA, and Greenpeace supporter as a life long ambition. You love Hollywood, and have dedicated your life to Barbara Boxer, Barbara Streisand, Diane Feinstein, Taylor Swift, and are an avid practicing member of the AME Church. Heck you've even attended Al Sharpton's daughter's wedding and met her kids. Now you are Golden and they will hand deliver your CCW to your residence with 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

There, I've given you and the rest of Los Angeles the answer in how to achieve not only a handgun CCW but approval for automatic weapon possession. Just say thank you.

Other than all of the above, you are hosed brother.
You're the first person that has managed to discourage me. Haha.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that CCWs are issued to foreign nationals by the sheriff in LA county? I'd be interested in seeing some evidence of this, and I know a few guys who survived the clinton purge of DSS that would also be interested.

OP as opposed to giving the government any more of my money than I absolutely have to, I think giving $10 to the first homeless person you see will be just as effective in your quest. Of course the big difference is you'll at least have some idea where your money went.

I'm sure you'd love the evidence. It'll probably arrive in a one of those Disney boxes, you know, where you open it up and like a lantern the whole room glows at once.

There are people who get treated fluffy and special for being who they are and in exchange of what we need. Sometimes, even, our country sends people off to other countries expecting the same treatment. Even the State Department throws light on it as Categories of Persons Entitled
to Privileges and Immunities.

Such people are given personal inviolability. They don't make the news, you don't get evidence of what they can do, and Special Bilateral Agreements allow this to happen.

Please don't start playing your semantics. I never circled around "CCWs are issued to foreign nationals by the sheriff in LA county".

Last edited by HecklerNKoch; 09-15-2020 at 6:45 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 6:54 PM

In San Bernardino County:

Which gun are you required to shoot for the CCW shooting portion? Could I use a competition modified G34 for instance?

What about in Riverside County?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Please don't start playing your semantics. I never circled around "CCWs are issued to foreign nationals by the sheriff in LA county".
If you say so.

I guess you must have meant U.S. citizens who are diplomats or consulate officials in LA county when you said this "There will always be a diplomat or a temporary issue to a consulate official." We are talking about CCWs in LA county still right?
Old 09-15-2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
If you say so.

I guess you must have meant U.S. citizens who are diplomats or consulate officials in LA county when you said this "There will always be a diplomat or a temporary issue to a consulate official." We are talking about CCWs in LA county still right?

The point was the guy above was stuck on the idea of "if we can crack the golden code of the good clause then we're in!"

My point was "they" [whomever, Mother Mary...]needs [something] to be able to deny you. If it's not your first born, it's your good clause, because they won't be denying you on the basis of the color of your eyes.

Then I went on to say, for guys like you, don't read into this too far, this is for the ordinary citizen wanting to carry in Los Angeles, that there will always be an exception, a royal, a diplomat, a Vladimir, a person whose blood is more red than mine, a freakin' Saudi prince whose detail will walk around that day as he shops on Rodeo drive armed to protect his royal muffin.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:45 AM

For Murrieta/Riverside
18 Shots. Must have 15 in center mass. can retest 3 x to pass.
6 shots at 3 yards
6 shots at 7 yards
6 shots at 10 yards.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6ty View Post
For Murrieta/Riverside
18 Shots. Must have 15 in center mass. can retest 3 x to pass.
6 shots at 3 yards
6 shots at 7 yards
6 shots at 10 yards.
Thank you so much Three6ty! That's great info! I'm hoping that's the same for Los Angeles.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

LASD July 26, 2020 Version: LASD CCW Shooting Standards
Old 09-16-2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Quote:
...must score within the 7-ring of the B-27 target.
Looking at the B-27 target, that's pretty easy. If one can't meet that standard they shouldn't have a firearm!
Old 09-16-2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
That's awesome info / link! Thank you so much.

Not that I'm overly concerned about failing at any of the distances, but I wonder what would happen if you passed with two guns, and failed with the third? Do you just get the license for 2, or do you have to retake the entire test?