Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2019, 1:44 PM

Default Shooting at Night---Legal?

Before calling the U.S. Forest Service, I thought I was ask the legal beagles here. I want to test my weapon light and do some night shooting just to familiarize myself with the differences between day and night.

I live surrounded by the National Forest. I shoot in the National Forest. There are plenty of safe places to do this but the very sound of someone shooting at night is likely to freak nearby people out.

Is this legal?
Old 09-12-2019, 1:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not in angeles nf. No target shooting except at ranges. In other locations you will get a visit from leos or dfw.
Old 09-12-2019, 6:45 PM

No, this is Sequoia National Forest. There are shooting rules but basically you can shoot anywhere 150 FEET away from a structure, not over water, not over a highway, not in a campground and so on. "Night"is not specifically mentioned.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
No, this is Sequoia National Forest. There are shooting rules but basically you can shoot anywhere 150 FEET away from a structure, not over water, not over a highway, not in a campground and so on. "Night"is not specifically mentioned.
No night shooting in BLM or National forest. That and it violates Rule number 4 of "always be sure of your target and what's behind it".
In most cases this is impossible at night.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Another reason is that sound carries long distances and most people in campgrounds are sleeping. I don't mow the yard in the morning before 9 AM.

Old 09-19-2019, 1:00 PM

Seems pretty dangerous to me, I wouldn’t want to even if I could
Old 09-19-2019, 5:44 PM

If you do call and they say no ask what law so I can read it myself. I'm not aware of a no shooting at night law. There is no hunting at night regulations for sure.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)

308 Rifle for sale
Old 09-20-2019, 5:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
If you do call and they say no ask what law so I can read it myself. I'm not aware of a no shooting at night law. There is no hunting at night regulations for sure.
It's not a law it a regulation, If you read the BLM and national forest regulations you'll read that a condition of using the land is not shooting at night. they can kick you out. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Did you also know that there is a fire permit needed as well?
Old 09-20-2019, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
It's not a law it a regulation, If you read the BLM and national forest regulations you'll read that a condition of using the land is not shooting at night. they can kick you out. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Ok, what regulation then?

I am not aware of it, which is why I asked.

Btw when I giggle it I don't find it.

I do find this.

Quote:
https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

Target shooting is allowed on national forest or grassland unless restricted. Check your local ranger district for more information about local restriction.

In or within 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
Across or on a national forest or grassland road or body of water.
In any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
Into or within a cave.
Firing tracer bullets or incendiary ammunition.
Disturbing, injuring, destroying, or in any way damaging any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resource, structure, site, artifact, property.
Abandoning any personal property or failing to dispose of all garbage, including targets, paper, cans, bottles, appliances
I'll stick with the assumption the fire permit question was asked in good faith. Yep, I'm aware as well as what our requires.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)

308 Rifle for sale
Old 09-20-2019, 6:43 AM

May be on a location by location basis under the regulations. See for instance, https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...ing/california
No shooting in Riverside or San Bernadino counties essentially between sunset and sunrise.
Old 09-20-2019, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunuser17 View Post
May be on a location by location basis under the regulations. See for instance, https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...ing/california
No shooting in Riverside or San Bernadino counties essentially between sunset and sunrise.
Which is where things change from time to time. But that page did have in the past the same sunset to sun rise limit for San Diego and Imperial county
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

With a full moon one can see well at night. Logic is not used in law enforcement.
Old 09-20-2019, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunuser17 View Post
No shooting at night in Riverside County, it is legal to shoot at night in designated areas in San Bernardino County, use the SBC Recreational Shooting Map. It is legal in the State but a county or City can prohibit it.
Old 09-22-2019, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
No shooting at night in Riverside County, it is legal to shoot at night in designated areas in San Bernardino County, use the SBC Recreational Shooting Map. It is legal in the State but a county or City can prohibit it.
^^^. This. Everything else I read up to this point was FUD, especially without providing the law source.

Some counties permit night target shooting and some don’t. Also night hunting is permitted in various locations throughout the state. Search the F&G code for the boundaries. It’s easy to find in the Mammal hunting regs.

Quote:

If there’s no law, how do they legally kick you out?

Fire permits are needed in some non-established campgrounds within a NF. However permits are almost NEVER required at established and officially designated NF campgrounds.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 09-22-2019 at 7:09 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 7:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can you use your fire permit for tannerite?
Old 09-22-2019, 9:57 AM

I shoot in the summer in Tulare County but in the bounds of the USFS. In the winter it is Kern County, on BLM land.

Neither is anywhere near a campground. There are some houses which can hear me, especially on the BLM boundary and they might get upset which is why I am checking.

These are known areas to me and I know what is behind them. I would have to set up targets in light or twilight and then wait for it to become dark.

People keep saying you have to shoot in the dark to know what expectations are. I am getting a new white light and need to check it out also.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old 09-22-2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
No night shooting in BLM or National forest. That and it violates Rule number 4 of "always be sure of your target and what's behind it".
In most cases this is impossible at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post
Seems pretty dangerous to me, I wouldn’t want to even if I could
fudd fudd fudd ... allll the FUDD from both of you

its not as though he said he was going to just shoot blindly into the night. His post specifically says hes going to test his weapon light. Meaning he can see using the light. Also, by making this post he's doing due diligence and doing research on the matter. I would imagine this also means he would know to set up with a backstop or berm.

You people are incredible. People do night shoots all. the. time. Grow a pair
Old 09-22-2019, 6:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We use to set up in Mojave
Camp on an alluvial fan

Set up targets in the canyon

Find a place with a good backdrop

Enjoy shooting at night.

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-22-2019, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last I checked still OK to shoot in my area (Sierra foothills) of Fresno County at night, kind of annoying though.
Also last I checked fire permit (which is free and easy to get at any USFS office, good for calendar year) is required for stoves, fires on USFS and BLM lands, we are talking primitive camping here, not required in established campgrounds.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 PM

Would like to know this info as well. I have IR I’d like to zero and practice with.
Old 09-23-2019, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
Would like to know this info as well. I have IR I’d like to zero and practice with.
The actual answer is call the applicable ranger or blm office and ask them is there is any regulation preventing shooting during certain hours.
And then, report back.

308 Rifle for sale
Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift350 View Post
fudd fudd fudd ... allll the FUDD from both of you

its not as though he said he was going to just shoot blindly into the night. His post specifically says hes going to test his weapon light. Meaning he can see using the light. Also, by making this post he's doing due diligence and doing research on the matter. I would imagine this also means he would know to set up with a backstop or berm.

You people are incredible. People do night shoots all. the. time. Grow a pair
Exactly as I see it.
Spent many hours during numerous overnight "events" out past Mohave over the years, always safe, never had any issues from anyone. You learn stuff from shooting after dark, it helps improve skills. Also a good way to practice light-use discipline, map reading with different light colors, etc.
Old 09-24-2019, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you consider most crime happens at night it makes sense to practice defense at night.
Old 09-24-2019, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
The actual answer is call the applicable ranger or blm office and ask them is there is any regulation preventing shooting during certain hours.
And then, report back.
Of course, and this is preparation for that call. BLM offices are hundreds of miles away and consequently they may know less that you think. The USFS is full of bad information and so it would be nice to know just a bit before calling.

But you are right and even if perfectly legal, I want to notify them and find out how they feel about this.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As far as safety, it can easily be done with a good backstop and a clear view.
Old 10-18-2019, 6:39 PM

Local indoor range here does “ night shoots” where they turn the lights off on the lanes. I know not the same as outdoors, but you get the same training coping with muzzle flash
Old 10-19-2019, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They must have a bullet proof roof?