Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-13-2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
The case is to overturn the MA AW law entirely, not just the "series" prohibition, correct?
IIRC this was directed towards Maura's June 22 Op-Ed/Enforcement notice but it goes on to argue that the whole AWB thing is 2A-prohibited.

If you listen to the orals they basically end up with the "AR-15 = 'the like' = M16 = Machine gun". It was absolutely disastrous.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
IIRC this was directed towards Maura's June 22 Op-Ed/Enforcement notice but it goes on to argue that the whole AWB thing is 2A-prohibited.

If you listen to the orals they basically end up with the "AR-15 = 'the like' = M16 = Machine gun". It was absolutely disastrous.
It sounds exactly like the recent Rupp case in California. The judge found that the AR-15 was "Like" the M16, and the select fire difference was basically irrelevant. Since the Ar-15 was like the M16 it could be banned, per the judges logic.
Old 09-25-2019, 2:47 PM

Supreme Court case page

Cert petition: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...r%20I%20br.pdf
Old 09-25-2019, 2:57 PM

I like counsel for the petitioners address . . . 1 Constitution Wharf.

At this point, I'll take about anything as a favorable sign.
Old 09-25-2019, 3:47 PM

Having someone that really knows the subject matter is important, but we all know the judges decision that "AR-15=M-16" would have happened regardless of how well or poorly the orals went.

The conservatives on SCOTUS know the difference, so this really isn't an issue in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post

Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Here's the Court's docket on this case.
Old 12-20-2019, 4:15 PM

Brief of respondents Maura T. Healey, et al. in opposition

Reply of David Seth Worman, et al.
Old 01-03-2020, 8:11 PM

Default DISTRIBUTED for Conference

Dec 23 2019 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 1/10/2020.
Old 01-04-2020, 8:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How do any of these arguments superceed "shall not be infringed"???
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 AM
code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
How do any of these arguments superceed "shall not be infringed"???
Short answer: there is a large disagreement on what "infringed" means when it comes to "reasonable restrictions" on a right enumerated in the constitution.

Familiarize yourself with "scrutiny"
https://legaldictionary.net/strict-scrutiny/
Old 01-04-2020, 10:56 AM

Do all SC petitions go to conference and that’s where they either move on or die or is there something before conference? Just curious. We have been talking about this one for a while.

Thanks

Stuart
Old 01-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

It seems like the assumption was that this was getting held per the NYSRPA case along with many other cases.

Now it's not held, and it's getting distributed. So that's may mean they're looking to take this as a replacement case.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:57 AM

Or, could be independent of NYSRPA, since this deals with “Arms,” not necessarily “Keep” or “Bear.” But, it may even be more mundane than that, relating to latency in enforcement of the law and whether and how much that is permissible.
Old 01-04-2020, 1:52 PM

This might be a good vehicle for "common use" but otherwise the case is pretty weird. A little summary from my memory:

1) MA adopted the federal AWB ban in the 90s with grandfathered AW and mags.
2) MA gun sellers basically removed adjustable stock, bayonet lug, and the threaded barrel (all flash hiders/compensates are pinned) and you have a MA compliant AR.
3) In 2016, AG said "Oh, btw all these MA-compliant rifles are actually AW but I won't prosecute you! "
4) MA dealers are confused and some just keep selling them.

Why I think it is weird is at first it seemed they wanted to argue the AG exceeded her authority with the notion that MA-compliant AWs = copies of AW that are banned. The status quo would be that her guidance was exceeding the intent of MA legislature. Instead, IIRC at the appeal, we got to "Well, the initial ban was unconstitutional so I guess the guidance is also irrelevant." In the appeals, IIRC, they have the two-step approach and some other like military-context consideration. In these last briefs, they basically sum it all up: "The approach taken is wrong, please address this." To me, it seems the "point" is a little muddled which might make SCOTUS feel uneasy.
Old 01-04-2020, 8:41 PM

One other thought occurred to me: if SCOTUS is possibly trying to send a message to VA by taking Worman. Maybe not, but that could be interesting.
Old 01-05-2020, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
One other thought occurred to me: if SCOTUS is possibly trying to send a message to VA by taking Worman. Maybe not, but that could be interesting.
That problem in VA is mainly due to SCOTUS inaction.. If they had decided an assault weapons ban case (either side winning) then the tensions would be calmer I think. It not just assault weapons tho, VA is planning more then that.
Old 01-05-2020, 7:09 AM

Agreed, and maybe they finally see the writing on the wall: that if they don’t get off their rears and defend the constitution, it will cause a shooting war.
Old 01-05-2020, 7:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
SCOTUS would have to be blind and deaf not to realize that the vacuum of clear jurisprudence left in Heller's wake and the resulting lower court confusion is on the verge of leading to one level of government taking up arms in defending against another level. This is their job to fix and they know it... our scheme of ordered liberty has become vulnerable due to the divergent attitudes on what Heller does or doesn't allow.

I strongly suspect that regardless of how NYSRPA goes that Worman will be heard in the near future, and that tensions in VA will be eased, with both sides there withholding further escalation pending an outcome in Worman.
Old 01-08-2020, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
SCOTUS would have to be blind and deaf not to realize that the vacuum of clear jurisprudence left in Heller's wake and the resulting lower court confusion is on the verge of leading to one level of government taking up arms in defending against another level. This is their job to fix and they know it... our scheme of ordered liberty has become vulnerable due to the divergent attitudes on what Heller does or doesn't allow.

I strongly suspect that regardless of how NYSRPA goes that Worman will be heard in the near future, and that tensions in VA will be eased, with both sides there withholding further escalation pending an outcome in Worman.
There is no confusion from the lower courts. They cherry picked language in Heller to justify their rulings to ban semi automatics like the AR15 even though Heller explicitly states commonly owned weapons are protected. Lower courts have taken a calculated risk that SCOTUS won't do a damn thing. It still appears they've made the right gamble as SCOTUS appears likely to ***** out on even a slam dunk case like NYSRPA.

Last edited by kuug; 01-08-2020 at 7:32 AM..
Old 01-08-2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Doubt it, I think they're just going to dial back the scope to a narrowly tailored decision - property rights and transport - worded in a such as way to prevent use as a linchpin for a carry case.

That would also allow moving forward on some other cases that otherwise would have continued to be held awaiting a larger scope decision.

I definitely like to see some action on this Worman case...

=8-)
And I would still count a narrowly tailored decision as *****ing out. The blatant disrespect the appeals courts have shown the 2nd amendment must be addressed in full with a wide ranging decision. They shouldn't be allowed to limit the carry of weapons outside the home to intermediate scrutiny. Just as they shouldn't be allowed to duck the Heller decision on AR15s, again treated with intermediate scrutiny based on an incredibly vague and statistically false public safety claim. How an appeals court, whose judges are still active aI might add, rubberstamp licensing that limits where you can even use your gun is beyond preposterous. Roberts has shown he is more than ok with all of this. There should have been zero questions from the conservative justices about whether the case was moot or not. We all know damn well that NY had years to change their policy and they didn't until it came up for SCOTUS review. Roberts is more than ok with not only New York democrats showing his institution disrespect by evading review and trying to weasel out of the case, but also the senate democrats with their open threats.
Old 01-10-2020, 3:22 PM

Worman was discussed at today's conference but not granted cert. 3 other cases were granted cert but they are not 2A related. Further orders from today's conference will be announced on Monday. It is likely the case will be stayed, or scheduled for the next conference.
Old 01-13-2020, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't it have been redistributed today, if SCOTUS wanted to look further? I think it might have gone into the zombie state like the others.
Old 01-13-2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Shouldn't it have been redistributed today, if SCOTUS wanted to look further? I think it might have gone into the zombie state like the others.
It's been stayed. It will join the rest of them. That's good news for NYSRPA, it indicates that they feel no need to grant cert to another case to set the new standard for 2nd amendment cases.
Old 01-13-2020, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

It also means they plan something for this case. If they didn't they would have just denied.
Old 01-13-2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
It also means they plan something for this case. If they didn't they would have just denied.
Could be as simple as remanding it back to the appeals court based on a newly established standard of review, or they are saving it for next term as a nationwide case. Only time will tell, we'll be awaiting for the NYSRPA results before this case goes anywhere
Old 01-14-2020, 4:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd bet on remand pending NYSRPA. SCOTUS is simply holding all 2A cases worth a grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabellum View Post
↑ This insight cannot be ignored. With regard to number of shots fired, the average number needed to incapacitate an assailant is 16.8, as shown by the grossly inaccurate shooting of law enforcement against questionable threats: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...ved-shootings/
Please forgive my ignorance, but where in your referenced links does it show the average number of shots needed to incapacitate an assailant is 16.8?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:48 PM

I think what he means is average number of shots fired, not necessarily hits made, by police officers in order to stop an assailant. The police officers aspect is important, as in this day and age officers seem to have a habit of shooting their guns to slide lock. So if you have one officer emptying his 17 round mag in his Glock, and one assailant stopped, the average shoots way up.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

HOT DANG!!!

Quote:
Apr 27 2020 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 5/1/2020.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....ic/19-404.html
Old 04-27-2020, 11:59 AM

Well this is certainly an interesting turn of events
Old 04-27-2020, 1:08 PM

So does this mean it has officially been “dislodged” from purgatory?
Old 04-27-2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfshrevident View Post
So does this mean it has officially been “dislodged” from purgatory?
Every case they had stayed is going to conference this friday. We're just likely to see them all denied cert as they are to be granted given how treacherous Roberts and Kavanaugh have shown themselves to be.
Old 04-27-2020, 1:38 PM

My gut says they will pick a new case and purgatory the rest. Highly doubt they take an AWB case, I'm leaning towards a carry case but maybe Pena.
Old 04-27-2020, 3:37 PM

I'd say since most of us were way off on NY, why even bother predicting what we're likely or not likely to see? None of us knows anything. We'll see soon enough.
Old 04-27-2020, 4:20 PM

USSCt has always been selective in what they hear and decide on almost every subject. So many cases are appealed, there's only 9 of them, so some issues get thrown out with the bathwater (old saying).

But there is hope with what Alito said on the NY case, how Thomas has been complaining for years after Heller & McDonald the USSCt has been ducking the issue, and now how Kavanaugh, Gorsuch also think the issue on some levels needs to be decided so states will have guidance on how to proceed.

And I'm a pessimist. April showers bring May flowers. Yuck. Can't believe I just said that.
Old 04-27-2020, 9:49 PM

I think Paladin said there’s movement next week in conferences.

I think they will deny cert on this as the magazine cases are coming through the courts. If Duncan is upheld in the 9th then there will be a circuit split. The best case for “common-use” is probably Pena.
Old 04-28-2020, 1:35 PM

If they take another case, it means another year's wait for a decision.
Old 04-28-2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
If they take another case, it means another year's wait for a decision.
and another year of hoping they don't just change the law so Roberts will moot the case