Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-15-2024, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a real difference between the regular VCS barrel mod and the VCS FliteControl Optimized barrel mod?

I recently picked up a few cases of low recoil 8-pellet Federal FliteControl 00 buckshot and I plan to use it the majority of the time through my shotguns, and that's what will stay loaded for HD. However, I also want to use up my low recoil Fiocchi 00 buchshot and Winchester Super X 00 buckshot at the range for practice through the same shotguns, along with low recoil Federal TruBall slugs, Fiocchi rifled slugs, and Remington rifled slugs.

Is the VCS FliteControl Optimized barrel mod only intended to use Federal FliteControl shells and nothing else through your gun? I'm not really concerned about patterning with the Fiocchi and Winchester buckshot, but I don't want to damage or put any undue stress through the barrel with non-FliteControl shells.
Old 02-15-2024, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari_d_sparki View Post
This is interesting. The shotgun I dropped off in Vegas and recently got back is shooting very well.
It is a Winchester 20ga Defender made in the US. So it has a 18" barrel and 6 round tube.
This last Sunday I did two rounds of 16 yard trap using 1300fps steel #7 shot. It is shooting so tight that I'm going to have to start at 17 or 18 yards.
Recoil with 3" #2 steel is minimal.
While this is my 5th Vang Comp barrel, it is only my second 20 ga.
The benefit of their work is that you get tight patterns and reduced recoil regardless of ammo.
My Vang Comp 870 has less recoil than a Versa Max Tactical Competition with an extended ported choke that I sold. I loved that shotgun but it recoiled more and was less useful than my Vang Comps.
Sounds pretty awesome, you're making me thinking about doing something like this.

God Bless America
Old 02-15-2024, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a few questions for those of you in the know...

Does the barrel need to be a fixed choke barrel?

Does the backbore open up the ID of the barrel (12 gauge) form the forward end of the forcing cone forward to something like .729 or .730?

Has anyone here had this done to a barrel that has choke tubes?

If it can be done on a barrel with choke tubes, is there less of a benefit of having the work done?

I didn't see anything on their website regarding barrels with removable chokes.

God Bless America
Old 02-16-2024, 6:40 AM

I thought HD barrels were for the most part cylinder. Would screw in chokes mess with the process?

"The Hillary Clinton school of failure."
Old 02-16-2024, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
I thought HD barrels were for the most part cylinder. Would screw in chokes mess with the process?
That's why I'm asking. Currently, I don't really have a shotgun barrel that I'd like to try this out on.

But, if I come across the right barrel or shotgun, I might pick it up.

Just want to make sure I don't acquire something that won't work.

God Bless America
Old 02-16-2024, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
That's why I'm asking. Currently, I don't really have a shotgun barrel that I'd like to try this out on.

But, if I come across the right barrel or shotgun, I might pick it up.

Just want to make sure I don't acquire something that won't work.
The old 870 barrels that come with the 2.75in receivers are to thin for the process
Old 02-16-2024, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
Is there a real difference between the regular VCS barrel mod and the VCS FliteControl Optimized barrel mod?

I recently picked up a few cases of low recoil 8-pellet Federal FliteControl 00 buckshot and I plan to use it the majority of the time through my shotguns, and that's what will stay loaded for HD. However, I also want to use up my low recoil Fiocchi 00 buchshot and Winchester Super X 00 buckshot at the range for practice through the same shotguns, along with low recoil Federal TruBall slugs, Fiocchi rifled slugs, and Remington rifled slugs.

Is the VCS FliteControl Optimized barrel mod only intended to use Federal FliteControl shells and nothing else through your gun? I'm not really concerned about patterning with the Fiocchi and Winchester buckshot, but I don't want to damage or put any undue stress through the barrel with non-FliteControl shells.
Don't worry about it, it will shoot anything better than it did before.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 02-16-2024, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

BOBGBA: I have several barrels with various degrees of Vang Comping done.

2 barrels have the whole thing done IE: forcing cone, back boring, porting, and then the forward 2" of the barrels are tapered back down to .729. The constriction on the muzzle is between IC and Mod Choke IE: .015 choke or .715

I have another barrel that has the forcing cone done, no Back Bore, no Ports and then threaded for Rem Chokes. I got it done that way because I use a Rifled Choke Tube in that gun as well as IC and MOD choke tubes for 3 gun shoots. I shoot slugs in that barrel so I didn't want the slug flopping around in an enlarged bore before it got to the Rifled Choke Tube.. I'm going to Port that Barrel, and would have got it done, but the work was done while I stood there and watched them do it, and I forgot to tell them to Port it.!

That barrel works well for what I do with it.

Keep in mind that the barrels with the full Treatment shoot everything well including slugs and here's a group I shot at Front Sight at 50 yards with my 20" gun. They shoot Buckshot exceptionally well, and both of mine do <7" at 25 yards !

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464735.jpg (86.3 KB, 42 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-16-2024 at 10:58 AM..
Old 02-17-2024, 7:57 PM

Man... I been thinking of going through Vang also.. but I have a local Smith that will do the porting for me. I'm thinking more back on the barrel, since my 18.5 is threaded for choke and it has the heat shield. Somewhere around where the barrel and mag tube meets at the distance 🤔
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240217_191328.jpg (82.4 KB, 8 views)