Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-05-2019, 1:24 PM

Default Help With Wads That Can Hold 1.25 oz. Lead Shot #6

Need advice on which wad to use for #6 shot 1.25 oz weight in a 2 3/4 shell. Does the top of the pellet stack needs to be level with the wad rim?

I have bought 3 different types of wads one with explicitly saying 1.25 oz load and it can barely hold 1.125 oz

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Oldjedi; 10-05-2019 at 1:51 PM..
Old 10-05-2019, 1:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

With lead not a big deal. Obviously to young to know about fiber mono wads. You can get more shot in a federal 2 3/4 low base shell than any other 2 3/4" WE used to load 1 5/8 ounce of #2s lead for geese in fed low base. Just do not get wet as they were paper hulls.
Old 10-05-2019, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just follow published loads like in Lyman Shot Shell loading book. Anything else is asking for trouble.
Old 10-05-2019, 7:50 PM

^^^
Yep, shotshell loading is very specific and needs to be closely followed. The components have to 'stack' inside the hull, it's important to use what is stated in the recipe.
Hull Brand is important as any of the remaining components of;
Primer
Powder
Wad
Weight of shot.
If you're weighing or using volumetric shot is also important as well.
It sounds as if you're using a wad that does not match the hull recipe. A 1.25 ounce wad may not work in a AA hull depending on the recipe hull brand. The loading book tells you all the above component information. Use it.
Old 10-05-2019, 8:28 PM

Your hulls will dictate which wads you can use..
What hulls are you planning to use ???
What wads have you purchased ??
Post your hulls and wads ...
Cheers...
Old 10-06-2019, 12:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No the shot cup does not need to completely contain the payload. Many commercial high payload shells have rather short shot cups.

You "need" no shot cup at all. It's there to help protect from leading. Does tend to produce tighter patterns.

Some experiments show pellets outside the shot cup help fill in the fringe.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 10-06-2019, 12:46 PM
CGN Contributor

You can bring the load level with filler. In a 12ga use 20ga cards inside the shot cup.
Old 10-06-2019, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
You can bring the load level with filler. In a 12ga use 20ga cards inside the shot cup.
His issue is the opposite.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 10-06-2019, 9:37 PM

Warning: Don't screw with these recipes. You do it and don't know what you're doing, kaboom. Rapidly.

Don't mess around with 12ga handloads unless you really know what you're doing. Please don't slap one of these random wads into some random hull, cheap or not, and expect it NOT to blow your shotgun to smithereens.

They're pulled out of Advantages Manual 10th.

Federal FB 2-3/4, PT1260 w/ 18cw20 in base 34gr of SR4756, fold crimp -- 1365fps

A little more common powder:
Federal FB 2-3/4, PT1251 28gr of Unique, fold crimp -- 1350fps

Or if you're cheap like me and try to focus on multi-use powder and cheap hulls:
Fiocchi 2-3/4, PT1220, 22gr Green Dot, Fold crimp -- 1230FPS
Fiocchi 2-3/4, PT1232, 28gr Long Shot, Fold crimp -- 1185FPS
Old 10-07-2019, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FWIW, it's pretty hard to blow up a modern shotgun. Wrong powder (grabbed red dot when you meant to grab blue dot) or barrel obstructions are the typical precursors.

Though wise to follow published recipes, catastrophic failure is rare.

No one's ever blown up a shotgun by subbing a wad to improve stack height on an otherwise viable recipe.

A number of BPI's loadings have been independently tested and found to be significantly over-pressure.

But this post wasn't about stack height, substitution, etc. OP is looking for a full containment by the shotcup on a lead shot load. It's simply not needed. For example, the AA12R is a common wad for 1-3/8 - 1-1/2 oz loading. Yet it's shot cup is shorter than many wads designed for 1-1/8 oz.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 10-07-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-08-2019, 6:42 AM

I picked up helpful tips. Unfortunately no one had any pointers as to which wad to use so the pellet stack is level with the rim. I eventually want to move over to steel shot or copper. I have looked high and low for one wad that will do everything! As you can imagine there isn't one. I am gravitating towards MG42 by Gualandi sold by BPI. The cup is deep enough for my needs and I can always use cards to lift the shot level higher.

If anyone has explicit experience loading with this wad, please share your thoughts. Is the shot pattern consistent with other wads?

Last edited by Oldjedi; 10-09-2019 at 6:00 AM..
Old 10-08-2019, 4:19 PM

Well, to be fair, your original post was pretty vague, thus the vague responses. It's tough to have good pointers when information isn't forthcoming.
Just sayin.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldjedi View Post
I picked up helpful tips. Unfortunately no one had any pointers as to which wad to use so the pellet stack is level with the rim. I eventually want to move over to steel shot or copper. I have looked high and low for one wad that will do everything! As you can imagine there isn't one. I am gravitating towards MG42 by Gualandi sold by BPI. The cup is deep enough for my needs and I can always use cards to lift the shot level higher.

If anyone has explicit experience loading with this wad, please share your thoughts. Is the shot pattern consistent with other wads?
I use the MG42 with 1oz of steel #4 shot. Was the pattern consistent with other wads? yes after I tried different recopies and found the one that is good enough for my purposes
Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
FWIW, it's pretty hard to blow up a modern shotgun. Wrong powder (grabbed red dot when you meant to grab blue dot) or barrel obstructions are the typical precursors.

Though wise to follow published recipes, catastrophic failure is rare.
Yeah, I'm just preferential to being paranoid when it comes to 12ga load recommendations because of the low pressures, so I always make it sound like it'll cause Ragnarok with that extra grain of longshot.

And I apparently missed his specific use-case desires but, whatever, can't get em' all.

There's a boomer emoji but not one for the topic going over my head... maybe this?
Old 10-13-2019, 3:46 PM
CGN Contributor

I looked in the BPI Advantages manual and they have a bunch of loads. Most seem to use their PT1260 Multi Metal wad. They also use straight wall hulls like Cheddite or Rios. I buy straight wall hulls in bulk for around 5 cents a round primed. Here is an example load.

Rio hull, 28gr Universal Clays, PT1220 wad, 1 1/4oz #6.

They show that as generating 10400 psi. That is a stiff load. You might want to buy the BPI manual as they have a greater variety of loads.
Old 10-13-2019, 4:42 PM

My experience loading 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot is that the Remington RP 12 wad would be the best choice to hold all the shot within the wad. I use mostly Rem hulls. Use only data for RP 12 wads and listed components.