Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:20 PM

Default Reloading for 44 mag Desert Eagle.

Hey guys, I am newer to reloading I am currently using a lee single stage press with rcbs carbide dies for my 44 reloads. I started by sizing the coal to 1.603-1.605. I found this length was too long to fit into my magazines. So I measured some of my new factory rounds. They measure between 1.563 to 1.570. So I started copying that length. Fixed magazine issue.

Now I am loading up with h110, started by using Winchester large pistol primers for magnum and large pistols. These primers left a ton of unburnt powder in my chamber causing following rounds to have a ton of small dings from the casing powder forming in the chamber with unburnt powder. So I bought federal magnum pistol primers. This solved the problem no with unburnt powder.

The issue I?m facing now is I have multiple rounds that are not chambering properly. I will upload photos. I tried some unique but havnt worked up to a high enough pressure yet to cycle my desert eagle. I bought some 2400 powder today to try but would like to perfect the h110 as I have 3 pounds of it. I?m using older projectiles I acquired in a estate sale. Rainer ballistics .44 jhp.

The powder charge I was running I was running in photos is 22.3 grains h110 With federal large magnum primers. If any additional info is needed please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by Quiet; 05-24-2023 at 5:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar nazis.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:39 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

You can't spell half of the stuff you are using. Good luck with the math.
Old 05-16-2020, 1:04 PM

When I had mine, I started with 2400 and a 240gr JHP. It was was very accurate, and a lot of fun on 100m silhouettes.

I switched to H110 with the 240gr JHP. Still shot very accurate.

I did notice there was "snap" in the recoil with 2400. 2400 also burned cleaner.
The H110 had lees "snap" to it. It seemed dirtier, and made more noticeable muzzle blast, especially when I was on the range late on a few evenings.

Never had any COAL issues using the values from the Speer book.
Old 05-16-2020, 9:12 PM

The Desert Eagle likes full power loads and heavy bullets. Use a 240 grain bullet, or else you're not gonna have a good time. I use H110 or W296 (same stuff) at 23.5 grains and have no problem at all. Lighter weight bullets gave it fits!

The other issue I was having with the Desert Eagle was to be aware of the slide lock. Too loose of a grip and the thumb would accidentally lock the slide back.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:09 PM

I loaded 180'jhp when I had my DE; they shot great, although high compared to 240jhp. You just had to load them full power.

I don't know about the new DE's, but the ones we were shooting back in the 80's and 90's were very accurate. As I mentioned earlier, we used to shoot 100m silhouettes off-hand; that was a lot of fun! The range in Lincoln used to leave the silhouettes out, till some bozos shot them full of holes with high power rifle...
Old 05-17-2020, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See this thread from 10 years ago.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=342308
Old 05-18-2020, 9:39 PM

From the old post, I’m in agreement with #4 post on the charge weights of 296. That’s a lot of powder to light off. I use CCI LP Magnum Primers and a hefty crimp. Also to qualify the bullet use, I would prefer jacketed, “non-exposed” base. Do whatever to not get that gas port clogged up. My $.02
Old 05-21-2020, 5:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Remember that H110/W296 (same powder) is described by Hodgdon themselves as "the powder that screams, 'no wimps, please'!" With those powders, it's best to go ahead and use full-house (max) loads. 2400 is more flexible that way; you can download 2400 and get good results.

Also note that semi-autos in general are less tolerant of downloaded loads than are revolvers. The Desert Eagle is no exception.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian95993 View Post
Hey guys, I am newer to reloading I am currently using a lee single stage press with rcbs carbide dies for my 44 reloads. I started by sizing the coal to 1.603-1.605. I found this length was too long to fit into my magazines. So I measured some of my new factory rounds. They measure between 1.563 to 1.570. So I started copying that length. Fixed magazine issue.

Now I am loading up with h110, started by using Winchester large pistol primers for magnum and large pistols. These primers left a ton of unburnt powder in my chamber causing following rounds to have a ton of small dings from the casing powder forming in the chamber with unburnt powder. So I bought federal magnum pistol primers. This solved the problem no with unburnt powder.

The issue I’m facing now is I have multiple rounds that are not chambering properly. I will upload photos. I tried some unique but havnt worked up to a high enough pressure yet to cycle my desert eagle. I bought some 2400 powder today to try but would like to perfect the h110 as I have 3 pounds of it. I’m using older projectiles I acquired in a estate sale. Rainer ballistics .44 jhp.

The powder charge I was running I was running in photos is 22.3 grains h110 With federal large magnum primers. If any additional info is needed please let me know.

Thanks

1. Clean your gun! DE likes all kinds of rounds, but if you are having jams after about 50 rounds then you got too much power in the chamber. Clean out your barrel and chamber SON...

2. You remind me of the first time I posted about making a 44 mag that had an oal of 16" instead of 1.6"... SO, check what you are reporting here and make sure your facts are correct. Please explain how exactly you sized the coal to 1.603-1.605...

3. You do not size a round to a COAL, you seat the projectile to a certain depth and that gives you a COAL of xx.xx... Projectiles get sized... :\ Deagles like 1.6" COAL or shorter. NO FTX unless you make them shorter. I typically will run 200gr cast and coated loads around the 1.580" mark.

4. UNIQUE? WTF? @!#$#@%!@!!!!!

Please stop your train immediately and do not go anywhere. I will send compliance and a new crew out to relieve you...

Okay okay my blood pressure is back down to a nice 150 over 90 now so let's continue... You are asking to get spit in the face hard by your Deagle. AND you have left out a very important factor here. Have you read any books on reloading? Because I would think that knowing and reporting the bullet weight would be a reflex when talking about things like this. AND 22.x gr is too light for a Deagle running with H110. WTF? Wait WHAT? 22.x??? NO! You trying to give yourself a SDET?

Bullet weight? If it is a rainier then it is prolly 200 or more likely, 240gr, that means you should be starting at around 23.2 gr for a decent shooting round, If you want max blast then take it closer to 24gr, but work it up, don't just start there. If you have a 200gr load then you can probably go up to about 25gr.

AND you best wear eye protection because your Deagle is gonna spit at you for running plated rounds. It is NOT uncommon to remove shrapnel from your cheek and finish shooting with a small trickle of blood down your face when shooting the Deagle with H-110 and using plated rounds. This is why I switched to PC Cast lead... Never been bit since. And of course it is cheaper...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 05-23-2020 at 1:21 AM..
Old 05-24-2020, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

2400 worked best for me, only jacketed bullets. Lead will clog up the gas port like a big dog.