Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2020, 1:21 PM

Default Do Good and Disappear

Had a wonderful conversation with a good friend about this the other day- the act of giving to, or doing for someone else, perhaps anonymous, so as to not receive gratitude or personal benefit.

What a powerful reaffirmation that God is responsible for all good in the world- a statement that I don’t get to take ownership for Good.

Have you ever found your bill paid for? Did someone leave encouraging words or a gift on your doorstep when you were in crisis?

Can I ask the forum to generate and share ideas of ways we can Do Good and Disappear?
Old 04-25-2020, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Possibilities are endless on this IMHO

Seems all you have to do is pay attention, & it will come to you.
Old 04-25-2020, 1:40 PM

Grouchy, I deeply appreciate your thoughts. Kudos!
Old 04-25-2020, 1:42 PM

One sunday morning in 2018 I sensed a inspiration to ask the pastor and his missus if they would like to visit Israel, YES, from both of them and he asked another man to come over to us and explain that at a conference out of state a possible trip for pastors was discussed. We gave them a few hundred $$ for such a trip and asked that it be dedicated for such a trip. We kept it close and some months later the pastor told the congregation that he and his missus were plaining a trip there for 2019. Then he told the people that I and my missus who started the process. I did not see that coming but it was out then and other folks joined in. That was an excellent trip and he was asked last minute to assist in a large Jordan River Baptismal service and also for group prayer leader on the trip. I and the missus were thankful I got that one right.

Yes Grouchy I just shared as you asked.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 04-25-2020 at 1:43 PM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 04-25-2020, 2:45 PM

Commit a random act of kindness?
Old 04-25-2020, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

My dad taught me that charity should always be anonymous
Old 04-25-2020, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Saw something like this the other day on a buddy's Christian F-B page (can't find it now... NATURALLY...) - cartoon, of a guy giving a bag of food to a down & out looking family, while taking a selfie of himself doing it.
Old 04-25-2020, 3:36 PM

Wife was talking with a neighbor about how hard it is to find a certain brand of baby formula (baby is very picky and will only feed on that brand/type). When thy do find it, it is limited to 1/customer. 3 days later a box full of them showed up on their door step.
Old 04-28-2020, 2:10 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hmm, I was about to post an anonymous deed that my wife and I did years ago...but would that be humble-bragging? I don't know...

Oh well, I'll share just in case it gives somebody an idea.

We once left bunch of Ralphs gift cards and anonymous thank you notes to our pastoral staff for pastors appreciation month (October ). Reminds me, we should do it again this year.
Old 04-28-2020, 8:27 AM

Not bragging, just properly responding to the thread title. Good job Bro. In Oakley we have a appreciation month also.

Psalm 1
Old 04-28-2020, 8:43 AM

Now days it has to be done while recording yourself on video. Then you have to post the video of you doing something good like giving a homeless guy a happy meal on YouTube. You have to make sure you Monetize the video so you get paid for views. If it goes viral you make a nice little income off of it and all for the price of a happy meal and not only that, everyone gets to know how generous and nice you are.

I hate those people.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."
Old 04-28-2020, 8:44 AM

Coach younger folks. When I've been associated with an individual athlete, sometimes hear negativity toward a parent(s). They get an ear, then most times a pointed suggestion.

Do for the family without recognition and reward. Especially something that might not be noticed immediately. The kind of thing a mom comes across one day and wonders,

"This was a mess. I didn't sort it. Who did?"

A manner described by many in many means. Commit covert chores.
Old 04-28-2020, 6:40 PM

I graduated my officer academy 5 days before Christmas. Because of the way the payroll works, academy pay is a different pipeline from regular line officer pay. Also, there were accounting office closures for Christmas. We were going to get a small paycheck for our last couple weeks at academy; but, because we missed the regular line officer pay cycle, our next paycheck wasn't coming for 6 weeks. (!!!) I was chatting with a veteran officer one day and I had jokingly mentioned something about losing weight due to our pay snaffu. I admitted that I barely had enough food to pack a lunch everyday and I was on the PB&J plan.

A week later, she saw me in the employee parking lot and waved me over. She told me that she felt bad that we had to wait so long for a paycheck and she didn't want me to go hungry. "We're family" she said, "and we look out for our family." She then discreetly handed me a $100 gift card to a grocery store. I was very grateful because I did indeed need some groceries.

Like Dano3467 said, pay attention and the opportunities will come to you.

Last edited by BadKitty; 04-28-2020 at 6:42 PM..
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

locally and/or international. sponsor child/children who are orphans or in poverty.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.
Old 05-22-2020, 1:21 AM

It’s simple for me. My girlfriend is originally from the Philippines. Not only do we send clothes, shoes, etc... for the poor there, but we’ve also bought lunch for entire schools of poor kids, school backpacks/school supplies for poor kids, donated goods for typhoon victims, donated goods to orphans, etc... Mostly anonymous. We’ll either send the goods ourselves or provide money to a trustworthy person there. The need is so great that we’re never going to run out of things to do. Even a small amount of money can do so much there if you’re wise with your spending. For the most part, the recipients have no idea who we are.

Giving is easy. Find a need and fill it.
Old 05-22-2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Bear View Post
Had a wonderful conversation with a good friend about this the other day- the act of giving to, or doing for someone else, perhaps anonymous, so as to not receive gratitude or personal benefit.

What a powerful reaffirmation that God is responsible for all good in the world- a statement that I donít get to take ownership for Good.

Have you ever found your bill paid for? Did someone leave encouraging words or a gift on your doorstep when you were in crisis?

Can I ask the forum to generate and share ideas of ways we can Do Good and Disappear?

A HUGE thumbs up to this post! Grouchy you are indeed my brother! There is a local university a couple of blocks from my office. And the saying there is that every blade of grass has the name of a donor on it. It bothers me when people donate for their own glory and gratification. I look at it as God's money; not mine. To God be the glory!
Old 05-24-2020, 1:20 PM
Banned

Nothing at all wrong with this, however I don’t believe there is anything wrong with known giving either. I think the situation can dictate which. Of course WE know it is God who is behind all good... He IS all Good! But how many who have been given a gift through anonymity, felt a strong desire to want yo thank the person responsible? I know I have. Even in light of thanking The Lord. (A given). So, while certainly there is no wrong in it, I don’t necessarily believe it should be the focus. I do know some would feel almost “cheated” because of NOT being able to thank a person. We can not simply assume that everyone will thank God. We know in fact, that most people won’t.
Old 05-26-2020, 7:44 PM

One of the easiest methods I've come across when it comes to doing something while remaining anonymous is donating via something like GoFundMe and keeping your info private. This method works for anyone, and is especially good for those who are stuck at, whether due to the current situation or health issues.

Another one I am fond of is leaving food and water near a sleeping homeless person (cautiously, as they can be startled).

Which ever you choose, God bless you and your purpose.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 PM

See what you think of this one : Walked by a guy sleeping on the red bark by the Jack in the box joint near to my home a couple of years ago. He had been there a couple of days. I bought a extra burger and drink and handed it to him as I was leaving, ' thank you sir " he said two or three times. Thank Jesus not me I said twice and left. Never saw him again.

Psalm 1
Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

This thread reminds me of Matthew 6:5-6; “And when you pray, you shall not be like the [b]hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you [c]openly."

I believe doing good in private is a corollary to the above verse.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
This thread reminds me of Matthew 6:5-6; ďAnd when you pray, you shall not be like the [b]hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you [c]openly."

I believe doing good in private is a corollary to the above verse.

AMEN!