Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-01-2024, 8:12 AM

Default Solar power stations

If you have first hand experience, I'd like to hear your opinion (review) of your solar power station. My uses would be for power outages at home and for RV applications. I'm currently looking at models in the 1.5kWh to 2kWh range from Bluetti and Pecron. I'd like to hear what you have and what you like/dislike about it from your experiences. Thanks in advance.
Joshua 24:15.
Old 03-01-2024, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Think size, flexibility and exact uses you need them for (laptops/modems/TV/fridge etc?). My uses are different than yours. Size will dictate how easily you will be able to move your power station from place to place. 2 smaller vs 1 gigantic?

Solar panels don't output their rated power at all times. Look for *honest* reviews or comparisons between each.

Prices have come down quite a bit since. Technology has come a ways since the first units hit the market as well (Bluetti/Jackery etc). A lot of cheap brands out there too.

Price each unit and compare and find out what fits for you and your pocketbook.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-01-2024, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

For use in emergencies, I would go for a tri-power generator, especially if you have either CNG or LPG available at your house
Old 03-02-2024, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I use a Bluetti AC300 and a couple batteries as a backup for a couple ponds, and also load shift to avoid peak pricing. The system has worked flawlessly while meeting a demand of over 1 kW.

Their customer service is adequate, but like most organizations overseas, email customer support is slow. My only real complaint is that the remote management software routes through Chinese servers. I had lost remote management access after I had blocked an Alibaba subnet. Customer service was reluctant to tell me the IP addresses of their servers, so I had to go through my log files to find it.

I was considering adding Bluetti batteries to a solar system as part of a demonstration project, but couldn?t coordinate the installation cost estimate within their timeframe. The new Tesla Powerwall 3 batteries look pretty impressive with the ability to charge/discharge simultaneously and can accept multiple charging points like solar panels, an EV and generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
For use in emergencies, I would go for a tri-power generator, especially if you have either CNG or LPG available at your house
I run a trifuel generator and thus far have only used natural gas. I have never lost natural gas service in my lifetime, so it?s a pretty reliable and convenient fuel source. I also keep propane and gasoline as backups.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Jackery 500 as backup to run my CPAP. I can get three night of sleep be needing a charge.
Also a 2000 solar generator. You have to be careful. If you are charging. You can not use more power than what's being charged or you will damage the unit.
But I know at night. No charging. I can get 2 nights of power to run the fridge for at least 8 hours a night.
Bought them for mainly night time use

Have generator for daytime use

I chose Jackery because they are in Calif. Easier to get them serviced if needed.
Best to buy on Black Friday.
Old 03-02-2024, 6:00 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The latest generation Bluetti units which vary in size and therefore price, are more than likely worth the investment. I first learned a bit about basic, off-grid (regardless of location, it just means not connected to a power grid) solar power, which is first and foremost, battery power about ten years ago.

It's how the battery/battery bank is best charged that has had some of the guesswork removed by outfits like Bluetti.

I am of the opinion that one should avail themselves of BOTH off-grid solar battery electric power (which includes inverters to 120V) - and - a liquid/gaseous fuel i.c.e. generator set (along with the requisite, "prudent" supply of appropriate fuel).

If you're just looking for the best, easiest to use and most reliable "kit" I'd be looking to Bluetti products. There are others, and more than likely a Big Three (adding Jackery and another popular brand).

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 03-03-2024, 4:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks like I am getting 60 panels 3 phase system for removing them, A new system is going in 20 kw 3 phase system I want to see if I can run 3 phase a/c units with them They were installed on facility and never energized. Getting string inverters and inverter and all cabling and racking. Be a fun project.