Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-24-2021, 2:30 PM

Default CA CCW While Outside of California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My understanding is WA only recognizes resident permits. We were in WA last year so I got my WA permit. It was easier than paying for groceries.

According to this map on the USCCA App, WA will honor your UT non-resident permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bunnysloper; 03-24-2021 at 2:34 PM..
Old 03-24-2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
My understanding is WA only recognizes resident permits. We were in WA last year so I got my WA permit. It was easier than paying for groceries.
That's not what I see here:

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...n-laws/#ut-map

It looks like Washington will honor a Utah permit resident or non-resident.

Dan
Old 03-24-2021, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nope, they also recognize non-resident permits such as UT and treat them as that home state’s permit.

https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pis...se-reciprocity

The only states that I’m certain that only recognizes resident permits are CO, PA, FL, and MI (non-resident permits won’t work; MI recognizes CA CCW)

iTrader
Old 03-24-2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Nope, they also recognize non-resident permits such as UT and treat them as that home state’s permit.

https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pis...se-reciprocity

The only states that I’m certain that only recognizes resident permits are CO, PA, FL, and MI (non-resident permits won’t work; MI recognizes CA CCW)
When I plug permits from CA & UT into the reciprocity map it shows WA as good "with restrictions." I can't seem to find what those restrictions are.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...3c671f696af3e3

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 03-24-2021 at 5:18 PM..
Old 03-24-2021, 6:49 PM

These sites are good resources:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...ciprocity_map/

and

https://handgunlaw.us/
Old 03-24-2021, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When I plug permits from CA & UT into the reciprocity map it shows WA as good "with restrictions." I can't seem to find what those restrictions are.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...3c671f696af3e3
The restriction for WA is 21 and older allowed to carry as UT issues provisional licenses (18-20 years old in-state residents).

For non-residents, it’s not an issue as UT doesn’t issue those.

Some states issue to under 21, so certain states add that restriction.

iTrader
Old 03-24-2021, 8:58 PM

Quote:
The restriction for WA is 21 and older allowed to carry as UT issues provisional licenses (18-20 years old in-state residents).

For non-residents, it’s not an issue as UT doesn’t issue those.

Some states issue to under 21, so certain states add that restriction.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2021, 5:04 AM

If I have a CA permit already, is there an easy way to add Nevada? Somebody mentioned AZ will issue a permit if the person already has a CA ccw? and nevada honors AZ? Dozens of sites indicate you only need to send your existing permit to AZ and $60, except the AZ state government site.

Last edited by edfardos; 04-02-2021 at 5:35 AM..
Old 04-02-2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
If I have a CA permit already, is there an easy way to add Nevada? Somebody mentioned AZ will issue a permit if the person already has a CA ccw? and nevada honors AZ? Dozens of sites indicate you only need to send your existing permit to AZ and $60, except the AZ state government site.

NV currently honors AZ permit.

I would think CA permit would satisfy the training requirement by AZ.
I used my OK permit as training cert when I initially applied for AZ permit.

Old 04-02-2021, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
I have five handguns listed on my California CCW and those are the ones I have trained with, practiced with and developed carry methods for.

I wouldn't want to make any changes to this scenario regardless of what state I am in.

Dan
^^THIS

And I am saying that as someone with CA, AZ, UT and enhanced ID permits.
Old 04-02-2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Arizona and/or Utah would be better than getting a Nevada CCW.

checkout handgunlaw.us to see what the difference between the two are.
Old 04-03-2021, 5:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In order to get a Nevada permit you need to do the training in Nevada. A non-resident can apply in any county and as long as you meet the minimum criteria you will be issued the permit. I have had my Nevada permit for over ten years and it is worth having. It is valid for five years.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 04-03-2021, 9:33 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
In order to get a Nevada permit you need to do the training in Nevada. A non-resident can apply in any county and as long as you meet the minimum criteria you will be issued the permit. I have had my Nevada permit for over ten years and it is worth having. It is valid for five years.
You also have to apply in person at the Sheriff. And some counties only do it on certain days. Not even sure what they are doing now in Covid times. You have to plan very carefully and maybe even stay overnight, to get the training and application done.

I had a NV permit. Then when it was expiring I went and took the training again, but could not get to the Sheriff office to do the renewal during that stay so it lapsed. But during that 5 year period when I had it, they started recognizing AZ permits again so I just said F it.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-03-2021 at 9:35 AM..
Old 04-04-2021, 6:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
You also have to apply in person at the Sheriff. And some counties only do it on certain days. Not even sure what they are doing now in Covid times. You have to plan very carefully and maybe even stay overnight, to get the training and application done.

I had a NV permit. Then when it was expiring I went and took the training again, but could not get to the Sheriff office to do the renewal during that stay so it lapsed. But during that 5 year period when I had it, they started recognizing AZ permits again so I just said F it.
You are correct about applying in person. The best thing to do is do your training on a Saturday and stay over until Monday morning to go to the Sheriff's office to submit your application. I went through Clark County so being in Las Vegas for the long weekend was a good thing!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 04-04-2021, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You are correct about applying in person. The best thing to do is do your training on a Saturday and stay over until Monday morning to go to the Sheriff's office to submit your application. I went through Clark County so being in Las Vegas for the long weekend was a good thing!
Is it still worth it now that AZ is accepted in NV?

Is renewal in person ?

iTrader
Old 04-04-2021, 8:07 AM

Default More info please

Jake:

If you have the AZ permit, how is the Nevada permit helpful? Serious question. Considered the NV permit and passed on an opportunity to apply while I was there for something else. May have missed out on something...

Thank you.

Quote:
In order to get a Nevada permit... I have had my Nevada permit for over ten years and it is worth having...
Old 04-04-2021, 8:23 AM

Get yourself a OR, NV, AZ, FL non resident. Pretty much sealed deal you can carry almost everywhere with whatever you want.

Old 04-04-2021, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
Jake:

If you have the AZ permit, how is the Nevada permit helpful? Serious question. Considered the NV permit and passed on an opportunity to apply while I was there for something else. May have missed out on something...

Thank you.
Depends on whether you are in a federal school zone. Consider the following.
18 U.S. Code § 922 (q)(2)(A) “It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.”
18 U.S. Code § 922 (q)(2)(B) “Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— ... (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;”(emphasis added) It is for this reason that I have WA & UT despite the fact that my Enhanced Idaho CWL is recognized by both States. My NV expired because I could not fit going to Reno into my schedule before it expired.
Old 04-04-2021, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Depends on whether you are in a federal school zone. Consider the following.
18 U.S. Code § 922 (q)(2)(A) “It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.”
18 U.S. Code § 922 (q)(2)(B) “Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— ... (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;”(emphasis added) It is for this reason that I have WA & UT despite the fact that my Enhanced Idaho CWL is recognized by both States. My NV expired because I could not fit going to Reno into my schedule before it expired.
One could argue that with reciprocity, that OOS’ requirements suffice that of the home state.

I see what you mean though

iTrader
Old 04-05-2021, 3:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
Jake:

Thank you.
Nevada has a yearly meeting of their county sheriffs. They go to Carson City and sit around and decide which other states CCW permits to recognize or not recognize. Reciprocity and recognition is a dynamic issue and I was tired of Nevada changing which non-resident permits they choose to recognize (Or not!)on a yearly basis. The state went through a several year process in which they recognized and then stopped recognizing the Arizona and Utah permits. I was stopped on the way back from Las Vegas one time on my way home on I-15 for speeding by NHP. I Had my Arizona permit and the officer told me when I IDed myself as a CCW holder and was carrying that Nevada no longer recognized Arizona. He told me about the above and suggested that I get a Nevada non-resident permit if I come to Nevada frequently. He did not hassle me and was very cool. No citation either. I decided to get my Nevada permit so I would never again need to worry about which permits Nevada accepted or did not accept. They will always recognize their own permits. That was more than ten years ago and I am glad I have it!

Last edited by Big Jake; 04-05-2021 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-05-2021, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nevada has a yearly meeting of their county sheriffs. They go to Carson City and sit around and decide which other states CCW permits to recognize or not recognize. Reciprocity and recognition is a dynamic issue and I was tired of Nevada changing which non-resident permits they choose to recognize (Or not!)on a yearly basis. the state went through a several year process in which they recognized and then stopped recognizing the Arizona and Utah permits. I was stopped on the way back from Las Vegas one time on way back home on I-15 for speeding by NHP. I Has my Arizona permit and the officer told me when I IDed myself as a CCW holder and was carrying that Nevada no longer recognized Arizona. He told me about the above and suggested that I get a Nevada non-resident permit if I come to Nevada frequently. He did not hassle me and was very cool. No citation either. I decided to get my Nevada permit so I would never again need to worry about which permits Nevada accepted or did not accept. They will always recognize their own permits. That was more than ten years ago and I am glad I have it!
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Good to know the process and your reasoning on doing so.

iTrader
Old 04-05-2021, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Good to know the process and your reasoning on doing so.
One more point to make on this....

When traveling in Nevada with a non-resident permit that they recognize the LEO has no way of checking to see if the permit is valid other than calling the state that issued it to check on its validity. That is a hassle for the LEO. If you have a Nevada CCW than they can run that on their computers in their patrol cars and they have instant access to the state data base in Nevada to check the validity of the permit. This makes their job easier and they appreciate it. It may help to get you out of a citation. No guarantees of course!

Old 04-05-2021, 1:10 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
One more point to make on this....

When traveling in Nevada with a non-resident permit that they recognize the LEO has no way of checking to see if the permit is valid other than calling the state that issued it to check on its validity. That is a hassle for the LEO. If you have a Nevada CCW than they can run that on their computers in their patrol cars and they have instant access to the state data base in Nevada to check the validity of the permit. This makes their job easier and they appreciate it. It may help to get you out of a citation. No guarantees of course!
One of the legal requirements for NV to honor another State's CCW permit is the ability for a NV LEO to check the validity of that State's CCW permit via an electronic database which is accessible at any time. [NRS 202.3689(1)(b)]

This requirement is the main reason why NV does not honor CA.
CA has this database, but will not let NV LEOs have access to it.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-05-2021 at 2:08 PM..
Old 04-05-2021, 6:39 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
One could argue that with reciprocity, that OOS’ requirements suffice that of the home state.

I see what you mean though
Agreed, but a plain reasonable reading of the statute leads one to believe otherwise. Because this is federal law, the recognition by the state of another states permit probably doesn't matter. This particular wrinkle has made me think harder about CCing outside of Ca or the other states i have permits from.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-07-2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
This is just me and I do it to avoid being hassled by misinformed LE.

I don't carry/bring a gun that isn't listed on my permit. This is to assist me in dealing with California LE should I get stopped right after I cross the state lines back into CA.
Agree, no need to make it overly complicated. I would think that it is safer and smarter to carry what you are most familiar with and that should be what you carry daily no matter the state boundaries.