Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-19-2018, 6:04 AM

Default Southern Cal 2018 Quail & Chuckar

So with the upland bird season coming up, does anyone have a sense of whether it's going to be a good, bad, or indifferent season?

I've been out to the Mojave a couple of times in the past few months for jackrabbit hunting and did not see or hear any game birds. I'm planning on scouting some other spots west and northwest of Inyokern soon.

Jim Matthews' upland forecast should be out in the next few weeks.
Old 09-19-2018, 8:18 AM

Quail number are low in my area of town, I can judge the strength by the numbers that I see around my home and throughout my community.
But IMO there's enough forage and H2O out in the field to sustain large numbers of them. The majority of birds left the desert around August 25th, some are returning, that's not related to quail or chuckar though.
Old 09-19-2018, 9:44 AM

down my way quail are thick. always busting coveys when are are dog training.
Old 09-19-2018, 9:49 AM

Central coast areas I hunt had a double hatch of quail this year. Should be a good year.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:28 PM

I hunt yotes all year round I get out about twice a week. I've been seein more quail in my huntin areas than I have ever seen before. Lots of coveys in huge numbers. It should be a great season for quail this year.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM

I'd put it at bad-mediocre in the desert areas mentioned in the OP. The drought absolutely slaughtered the birds, and they simply haven't spread back out from the few local spots the survivors hung out in. Guzzlers went completely dry back in '15/'16.

There are good bird populations in other regions of California, just not the high desert or eastern Sierra right now.
Old 09-20-2018, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The ranch owners in El Paso decided not to lease hunting rights so we get to use because of work we did on ranch. W4 donated 5 duck blinds and a jon boat. 100s of quail on propety and lots of ducks. Some hogs