Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 6:38 AM

Default CA CCW "listed guns" req in other states

CA's CCW is only valid when carrying the guns listed on the permit.

When traveling to another state that does not list guns on permits, do those restrictions still apply? (I'm guessing that from a LEO perspective they wouldn't, but it could be a problem in court if you had to use it?)

(A non-resident permit like Florida that doesn't list guns and is recognized is obviously a good workaround, just curious.)
Old 09-12-2018, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

My $0.02..in other states (freedom states) as long as you have a state permit or reciprocity then your GTG, as other states do not really give a crap about listed weapon on your permit like CA

Now I could be wrong, & will be call on it if I am.
Old 09-12-2018, 8:16 AM

I think that if a state that accepts a LTC from Ca. only the guns listed on the permit are good. However if I were to use a Utah ccw in a state that accepts it, I could use any hand gun that I legally possess. I.E. I take a trip to Va and my brother hands me one of his had guns to borrow while I am in his state. If I have a Utah ccw I am legal to carry that gun in Va.
Old 09-12-2018, 5:45 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Since it's nearly impossible to make heads/tails of CA's ridiculous laws (and how other states might interpret them), get an AZ non-resident CCW and carry what you want.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:55 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

IIRC, that's up to the state where you are at the time. Some seem to say 'your out of state permit is good if you follow all your state's rules, and our state's rules.'
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-12-2018, 7:30 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The permit says it is only valid with the listed guns. I wouldn’t test it. If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

I would (and have) get another permit like AZ if you want to carry an unlisted gun out of state. An AZ permit is like $60/5 yrs and you get it by mail if you have CA CCW already.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
The permit says it is only valid with the listed guns. I wouldn’t test it. If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

I would (and have) get another permit like AZ if you want to carry an unlisted gun out of state. An AZ permit is like $60/5 yrs and you get it by mail if you have CA CCW already.
What he said.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-13-2018, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

Depends on the state - some are constitutional carry for residents only.