Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 8:46 AM

Default CFARS Email Asking for Photos

Got three emails today from my June submitted recievers.

I’ll have to look as I did some 1911s and some ARs as to which they are referring to. But the body of the email says this:

Quote:
Verify your answer to the question "receiver only?". If the firearm is fully assembled, it is not receiver only. Please provide the caliber and barrel length of your firearm. Please provide clear full-length pictures of both sides of the firearm, one close up of the serial number, magazine release, make and model. Upload these pictures to this transaction and resubmit for processing.
Some are unbuilt even unmilled lowers I had serialized.

Thoughts on this? I hope I don’t get more
Emails. I did about 12 combined. Only 4 Ar’s are actually complete.
Old 12-05-2018, 8:56 AM

Now 7 listed as incomplete.
Old 12-05-2018, 9:15 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I just got those too. The emails list the serial number in question - so take a closer look and you will know which gun each email is referencing.

I got those emails for all my AR receivers and AR pistols but none for pistols assembled from Glock 80% frames (yet).

Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Now 7 listed as incomplete.
Dude you better mill them lowers out asap. That's where alot of people thought they could get away with paper registrations. With no need for pictures at the time people thought I'll volunteer register some **** I can build or mill later. Recently the DOJ is like surprise *****es we want pictures ! Technically you have broken the law by registering your unmilled lowers as completed receivers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Got three emails today from my June submitted recievers.

I’ll have to look as I did some 1911s and some ARs as to which they are referring to. But the body of the email says this:

Some are unbuilt even unmilled lowers I had serialized.

Thoughts on this? I hope I don’t get more
Emails. I did about 12 combined. Only 4 Ar’s are actually complete.
They won't accept the unmilled and Uncompleted ones. The DOJ Registration process said you could only register full assembled rifles acquired on or before Dec 31, 2016.

Quote:
11 CCR § 5472
§ 5472. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Weapons That Will Not Be Registered as Assault Weapons.
(a) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a firearm unless it was lawfully possessed on or before December 31, 2016.
(b) The Department will not register a firearm that was required to be registered under prior assault weapon registration laws in effect before January 1, 2017. These weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms known as “named assault weapons” and are listed in Penal Code section 30510 and sections 5495 and 5499 of Chapter 40.
(c) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon if the firearm is featureless, except for bullet-button shotguns as described in section 5470(d).
(d) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon if the firearm has a fixed magazine that holds ten rounds or less.
(e) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon unless the firearm is fully assembled and fully functional.
(f) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a firearm manufactured by a federally-licensed manufacturer if the firearm does not have a serial number applied pursuant to federal law.
(g) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a FMBUS if the firearm does not have a serial number assigned by the Department and applied by the owner or agent pursuant to section 5474.2.
Note: Authority cited: Section 30900, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 30515 and 30900, Penal Code.
HISTORY
1. Relocation of article 3 heading from preceding section 5470 to precede section 5472 and new section filed 7-31-2017; operative 7-31-2017. Submitted to OAL for filing and printing only pursuant to Penal Code section 30900(b)(5) (Register 2017, No. 31). For prior history, see Register 2011, No. 52.
This database is current through 11/23/18 Register 2018, No. 47
11 CCR § 5472, 11 CA ADC § 5472
Old 12-05-2018, 3:38 PM

Who said anything about registering an AW? I'm not trying to do that. All mine at featureless.

What about just registering a milled and stripped lower?

We're talking two things, reg'ing an AW and reg'ing a home build. I'm referring to home built featureless AR and home built 1911s. I was under the assumption I needed to reg any lower that was engraved/serialized by me 80% or 100%.

Quote:
11 CCR § 5472
§ 5472. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Weapons That Will Not Be Registered as Assault Weapons.
(a) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a firearm unless it was lawfully possessed on or before December 31, 2016.
(b) The Department will not register a firearm that was required to be registered under prior assault weapon registration laws in effect before January 1, 2017. These weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms known as “named assault weapons” and are listed in Penal Code section 30510 and sections 5495 and 5499 of Chapter 40.
(c) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon if the firearm is featureless, except for bullet-button shotguns as described in section 5470(d).
(d) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon if the firearm has a fixed magazine that holds ten rounds or less.
(e) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon unless the firearm is fully assembled and fully functional.
(f) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a firearm manufactured by a federally-licensed manufacturer if the firearm does not have a serial number applied pursuant to federal law.
(g) The Department will not register as an assault weapon a FMBUS if the firearm does not have a serial number assigned by the Department and applied by the owner or agent pursuant to section 5474.2.
Note: Authority cited: Section 30900, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 30515 and 30900, Penal Code.
HISTORY
1. Relocation of article 3 heading from preceding section 5470 to precede section 5472 and new section filed 7-31-2017; operative 7-31-2017. Submitted to OAL for filing and printing only pursuant to Penal Code section 30900(b)(5) (Register 2017, No. 31). For prior history, see Register 2011, No. 52.
This database is current through 11/23/18 Register 2018, No. 47
11 CCR § 5472, 11 CA ADC § 5472

Last edited by Psychbiker; 12-05-2018 at 3:43 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 3:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I received 6 emails stating apps received for volreg and under review. Not a word about pics now or on original applications. All were 80%
Old 12-05-2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I received 6 emails stating apps received for volreg and under review. Not a word about pics now or on original applications. All were 80%
Hope yours go through. I did this back in late June and just not getting responses. From the wording, it sounds like the photos are optional not mandatory meaning they are asking to see if they get them. I might get by with my explanation and changing of some information like 'single shot' for the 1911 frames.

I still think the DOJ did not understand the scope of the home building process and the fact that an AR is rifle via the frame/receiver only so by them wanting pictures of a 'complete' rifle, it's kinda odd. Many owners build them, store them and wait for to slap an upper on them at some point.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

I just got the same email. I registered my lowers only. If I read it correctly? Photos only apply if it was fully assembled?
I just said YES receiver only.
Ymmv

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM

I just received this same email for a S&W M&P 15-22. This is a factory made .22 not a AR. To my understanding the .22 does not need to featureless as long as you only have a 10 Rd magazine correct?

Disregard my question, I called my local FFL and confirmed rimfire rifle does not need to be featureless. And my magazine is only 10 round capacity so no issues here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by CaliTrav; 03-19-2019 at 1:53 PM.. Reason: Called my FFL to confirm
Old 03-20-2019, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Do as most of us who have gone through this nonsense had done. Update your volreg and in the comments state emphatically, that your receivers have NEVER been built into fully functional firearms. State emphatically, that the law and regulations DO NOT require the submission of photos and ask them to reference the regulation that would allow them to request photos if they believe they can. DO NOT SEND PHOTOS! PERIOD!

Don't do a new volreg, just update the ones that are in progress. And while yes, you are supposed to only registered fully milled and finished receivers, only you know the state of your 80% items. DO NOT talk about them here.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee

Last edited by Mute; 03-20-2019 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-18-2019, 7:08 AM

Hello I got a message from the doj
Saying pictures in review. so am I officially registered or do I have to wait for them to look at the pictures and how long does it take for them to look at the pictures normally
Old 05-18-2019, 7:37 AM

Last edited by justmedave; 05-18-2019 at 7:40 AM..
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven45acp View Post
Hello I got a message from the doj
Saying pictures in review. so am I officially registered or do I have to wait for them to look at the pictures and how long does it take for them to look at the pictures normally
Please post the exact text of what they sent you, but remove any identifying info like name, serial and so on.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM

I got my serial number from the doj had it engraved at the barrel stamps and they sent me an email saying reviewing images so am I officially registered can I go to the shooting range or do I have to still wait
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM

The doj sent my serial number last week I had it engraved on my lower I also got my Barrel engraved so am I officially registered can I go to the shooting range or do I have to wait for them to finish reviewing the photos
Old 05-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The doj sent my serial number last week I had it engraved on my lower I also got my Barrel engraved so am I officially registered can I go to the shooting range or do I have to wait for them to finish reviewing the photos
Just go about your business and do whatever you want. How many times have your guns been inspected at the range? It's also a misdemeanor offense if they're not registered sooooo....
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM

I am in the waiting game as well for 8 months finally got kicked back 2 times had to answer a few questions on the process of making the pistol single shot and if the barrel had a gas tube. Now just waiting again.
Old 05-20-2019, 4:07 PM

^ I wonder what they are doing with that info AND who’s reviewing/responding.

I nearly **** myself when I got my incomplete emails and then asking for photos etc. I did nothing and 6 months later I got physical letters in mail saying all complete.

The process I feel is a crap shoot. We’re expecting whoever is reviewing knows 100% the laws and features etc. I’m skeptical.

Granted, I’m also skeptical about the legality of my ‘complete’ letters. How would they hold in court if it ever got there. One letter approved includes a 1911 build. No photos, no reply to their ‘incomplete’. Just months letter “approved”. Ok, works for me. Then again, I feel ca DOJ is happy to know we (those) reg’ing) are on the books and not worried.

All assumptions.
Old 05-25-2019, 6:06 AM

Can somebody help me on this question I did a personal firearm eligibility check the letter stated I'm allowed to possess a firearm that's all it said went to my gun store to purchase 7 Days Later come back with the denial so how can I get a denial on purchasing but I can build and they've already sent me a serial number I don't understand
Old 05-25-2019, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Can somebody help me on this question I did a personal firearm eligibility check the letter stated I'm allowed to possess a firearm that's all it said went to my gun store to purchase 7 Days Later come back with the denial so how can I get a denial on purchasing but I can build and they've already sent me a serial number I don't understand
You will receive a letter in the mail from the DOJ with the reason for the denial.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager56 View Post
I am in the waiting game as well for 8 months finally got kicked back 2 times had to answer a few questions on the process of making the pistol single shot and if the barrel had a gas tube. Now just waiting again.
Im curious what you did ..? suggestions? im in the same boat ?
Old 06-02-2019, 8:43 PM

Answered the questions regarding the process in making it single shot by referring to Quiet’s sticky in California handguns section. The next day got another question on gas tube and replied it did not have one. Now two weeks no response. Hopefully it will process.
Old 06-04-2019, 9:47 PM

can somebody answer this question for me I got my serial number issue in Play Store my firearm last month on the 15 also sending all the images how long is it going to take for this is complete
Old 06-04-2019, 10:55 PM
Banned

Your answer: the dickweeds working for the state gov't have no clue as to how to proceed.

When the time for revolution comes, it will be a quick no brainer assuming the model of John Ross is followed...not to the "T", but in the spirit, for sure.
Old 06-05-2019, 9:17 PM

Hello room I need some help I did a background check I passed my background check they allowed me to get a serial number for my firearm to register it I sent the pictures in the way they asked me now today I have an ATF officer call me on the phone and state that like to see my firearm which I sent pictures in It's a polymer polymer80 build and I happen to be on the phone with an attorney when they called me in the attorney said do not talk to him do not meet with them unless I have a lawyer with me and I'm like why I didn't do anything wrong so the next thing I know my mother told me 15 ATF and police cars pulled up to the house with a picture of me I have not violated any laws I have done nothing wrong so why are they doing this to me cuz somebody tell me is it because I'm black I don't know
Old 06-05-2019, 9:29 PM

Tagged

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 9:38 PM

Destroy it ASAP
Old 06-06-2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Hello room I need some help I did a background check I passed my background check they allowed me to get a serial number for my firearm to register it I sent the pictures in the way they asked me now today I have an ATF officer call me on the phone and state that like to see my firearm which I sent pictures in It's a polymer polymer80 build and I happen to be on the phone with an attorney when they called me in the attorney said do not talk to him do not meet with them unless I have a lawyer with me and I'm like why I didn't do anything wrong so the next thing I know my mother told me 15 ATF and police cars pulled up to the house with a picture of me I have not violated any laws I have done nothing wrong so why are they doing this to me cuz somebody tell me is it because I'm black I don't know
Troll?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Banned

Whoa. You "happened" to be on the phone with an attorney when they rolled up? Hint, most people don't "happen to be on the phone with an attorney" very often. Sounds like there's a pretty good reason you're on a list...not related to skin color.