Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-13-2016, 4:40 PM

I wasn't planning on going as I have been spending a ton of money on Ammo, AR-15 lowers and build kits to prepare for next year. But, a friend just called and said he had a couple of free passes, so I guess I'll drive up and just have fun walking around and looking at guns and maybe take the wife out for a night on the town.
Old 08-13-2016, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Well I had planned on attending but just left Reno yesterday after another medical issue (exsanguinated post biopsy almost didn't make it this time) and helicopter ride. Be a long time before I'll be able to do anything. Was going to look for another C&R SKS with spike bayonet.
I'd bet you'll have to elbow yer way to the ammo dealers.
Have fun all that attend. I'll look forward to all the reports.
Old 08-14-2016, 7:25 PM

Planning to go over on Friday.
Old 08-19-2016, 7:14 PM

Well I didn't spend ANY money today. Thought real hard about a couple of items and maybe I'll look at them again tomorrow.

LOTS of ammo sales today. There seemed to be a continuous stream of hand trucks piled with ammo headed for the door. Depending on the elections it could be really interesting for the Nov show plus the new CA ammo law taking effect soon.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 08-19-2016, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
Well I didn't spend ANY money today. Thought real hard about a couple of items and maybe I'll look at them again tomorrow.

LOTS of ammo sales today. There seemed to be a continuous stream of hand trucks piled with ammo headed for the door. Depending on the elections it could be really interesting for the Nov show plus the new CA ammo law taking effect soon.
I anticipated the ammo would be the hot seller this show and the last 2 shows of the year in Reno. Wait aren't some of those Ammo sellers based in CA??
Old 08-20-2016, 6:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be leaving in a couple of hours.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.
― Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
Old 08-20-2016, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Default I heard about long lines at the ammo booth.

Our local man at the Reno show reports seeing a, "long line out into the hallway", on Saturday morning. Vendors said it was just as bad on Friday.

One customer ahead of our Reporter bought $3,000 worth of ammunition. We don't know what kind of ammo it was or how much it cost because our Reporter really doesn't know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge.
Old 08-21-2016, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

was there sat, O how i wish i had the ability and cash to have bought a couple springfield trapdoors. (45-70).

and the piles and piles of "standard cap mags"

Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Springfield Trapdoors? 45-70, that old obsolete cartridge?
We talking about the same 45-70 cartridge that was the mainstay of the time when the buffalo herds were being initiated from the Great Plains a hundred plus years ago?
Heck, everybody knows that 45-70 bullets just bounce-off wild game now days. And that rifle doesn't even have a scope and it surely isn't tactical, anymore.
Old 11-11-2016, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well it is that time again. The Big Reno show is next weekend ( Nov 18 - 20). I am going , anybody else.
I'll be there.

Where are you planning to eat breakfast?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 11-12-2016, 7:23 AM

After Proposition 63 in California, there goes all the ammo!
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
I'll be there.

Where are you planning to eat breakfast?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
I am staying at a different hotel chain this time since our traditional place has tried to kill me twice with breakfast. STILL P.O'ed at them since I had to cut my trip to the air races short because I felt so crappy.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 11-13-2016, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
After Proposition 63 in California, there goes all the ammo!
I agree, that is exactly what i was thinking. Same as back in '11 or '12? When they were pushing the "no ammo shipped" legislation in Ca... half of the traffic in the aisles of the show was handtrucks loaded full of ammo.
The bad part is not many people buying other stuff, so the non-ammo vendors don't do very well.

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was there for the ammo chaos, MiWall had to send both their 45' trailers back to Grass Valley to resupply.
G/F and I'll be there Fri and Sat, Justin4fun and his cousin are coming for the wkend too.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Is it OK to CCW at the show? I can't seem to find any info on it
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
Addendum to Show Rules

All Firearms without exception must be inspected and tied in order to be sold, displayed or carried in this show and all clips and magazines must be removed and empty. All firearms applies to BB guns, pellet guns, antique, modern, collector type, flintlocks etc. No one, except for law enforcement personnel may carry or conceal a loaded firearm in the show. For CCW permit holders you will unload your firearm and tie it inoperable if you insist on carrying. The general public entering the show with a firearm are instructed to clear security for inspection and have their firearm tied. You are responsible for your firearms and the safety of yourself and those around you, never allow others to handle your firearms unattended and always make sure the firearm is pointed in a safe direction, the ceiling is most often the safest direction. No pyrotechnics, this includes flares, smoke devices and all gunpowder black or white. All federal, State and local laws will be obeyed, this applies not only to firearms but also the sale or display of all items. Switchblade knives are not allowed, definitions of such may be found by contacting the Washoe County Sheriff's Department. Tasers, Stun guns, Stun batons and such will have no power source and never demonstrated. Bows and crossbows will be treated as firearms with arrows in a closed box or packet.
Old 11-13-2016, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll be at the Franklin Armory table. Mostly informational this time as we are still catching up on backorders, but my coworker and I will probably have some personal rifles for sale. We will have bullet buttons on hand and will sell to CA residents through a transfer dealer.
Old 11-13-2016, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
They don't want you to and can ask you to leave as TRAP said. Worst case is they ask you to leave and you have to leave or be trespassed (which you don't want if you have a permit). There is no law prohibiting carry in the venue.

It would be really hard to tell if someone had an LCP in a pocket holster. Hypothetically.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-13-2016, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you! I figured just as much.
Old 11-14-2016, 8:14 AM

Quote:
I am staying at a different hotel chain this time since our traditional place has tried to kill me twice with breakfast. STILL P.O'ed at them since I had to cut my trip to the air races short because I felt so crappy.
Our favorite place for breakfast in Reno is the "Squeeze Inn", which is not cheap ( but worth it for the huge amount of food) and it has a '60's hippie type décor. Don't let that discourage you, as they have HUGE omelets and breakfasts, and are always cool and friendly to us when we wear our gun related attire.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Report from Friday: 75% of cars in lot have California plates. Feeding frenzy on ammo, as many exiting with hand trucks full of ammo. Asked one fellow that was leaving with a hand truck full of thousands of rounds of ammo, if he was from California, and he said "yup" with a big grin.
They are worried about ammo checkpoints entering California on Hwy 50 and 80 after January 1.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM
In Memoriam

Try "Peg's Glorified Breakfast" in Reno
for good food also.
-g
Old 11-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Still large lines today but nothing unmanageable. Miwall staff looked tired but did well to take care of customers. Lots of overpriced guns and parts. Still, it is a nice way to spend a few hours.

FYI, Winchester primers were a decent buy at $124/5000 (+tax).
Old 11-19-2016, 6:17 PM

I bought some odds and ends at the show but nothing major. Looking out my hotel window at the rain knowing that it is snowing at Donner Summit right now. I may have to use the 4WD in my truck tomorrow to get home

Old 11-20-2016, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I bought some odds and ends at the show but nothing major. Looking out my hotel window at the rain knowing that it is snowing at Donner Summit right now. I may have to use the 4WD in my truck tomorrow to get home
Gotta use that 4WD occasionally to keep it in shape! Chains from Donner lake to 3 mi past Kingvale West bound this AM. Don't forget if yur in a chain control zone you still have to have chains to show the CHP if screened (rarely happens except to commercial vehicles) even on a 4x4 with snow tires! Watch out for the pinheads that think they can drive 60 in a chain control, they're the ones that screw up and get the road closed!
Hope you scored some goodies and have a safe trip home!

Sitting here in Tahoe watching it snow
Old 11-20-2016, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Gotta use that 4WD occasionally to keep it in shape! Chains from Donner lake to 3 mi past Kingvale West bound this AM. Don't forget if yur in a chain control zone you still have to have chains to show the CHP if screened (rarely happens except to commercial vehicles) even on a 4x4 with snow tires! Watch out for the pinheads that think they can drive 60 in a chain control, they're the ones that screw up and get the road closed!

I decided to punt on going to the show on Sunday and saw that 50 was open and clear at 7 am this morning so I went that way. 80 is just not fun in the snow with the idiots

Old 11-20-2016, 5:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I hit Donner about 10:30 this AM & had to deal with the back up, chain control and extra hour to pass the checkpoint - what the hell is wrong with these drivers? Paying attention to the road, not slamming on the brakes is beyond their abilities and I have to do chains. A little snow on wet road, but clear skies. My grandmother could have driven a motorcycle over Donner with no problem today.

I asked a statie if I could get a bye because I'm from New England, he said nope. When I chained up a fellow came over thinking I needed help ($$$) and safe to say our POV of flatlander driving abilities were the same.

The show was OK, I wasn't inclined to buy anything in particular. Saw a Colt Detective Special in 32 Colt New Police (32 S&W) that was 2nd issue style (exposed ejector, short ramped sight, old style stocks) but supposedly made in 1975. Which I found odd, since in 1973 I thought Colt switched over to the new style for Detective Special, Cobra and Agent.
Old 11-20-2016, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I decided to punt on going to the show on Sunday and saw that 50 was open and clear at 7 am this morning so I went that way. 80 is just not fun in the snow with the idiots
Good choice! Yeah we have to deal with the idiots every year, that includes many locals that are just as stupid!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

The "idiots" were on the road going both ways! My 2.5hr trip up Fri afternoon took 4hrs! Bob, missed seeing ya at the show. Left early this morning to beat the backup, must have been ahead of dfletcher, and the plows. Got nasty on the summit to just the other side of Boreal, but no problems in 4wd, rolled right through.
Finally got to shake hands with Grumpyoldretiredcop, and he wasn't even grumpy.
Kind of a weak Fall show, prices were high, some were just laughable. Went looking for a M1A scope mount for my son, found a Springfield 3rd Gen laying with odds and ends for $10. Found the spare ammo holder for my Navy Victory shoulder holster for $5.
Stopped at the RCGE table for 2 boxes of Swede ammo and a 1911 mag. While standing there, ID'ed some expensive mags they almost sold to some buyer that thought they fit something else, so I got a deal on what I was buying. Thanks again River City!
I'm not a gambler, but sat with Justin4fun at the roulette table and won back what I spent on the show, so I left happy.
Manny (croweman) made a deal for something special. I'll let him post his find, I'll just say it's an old Winchester with a brass receiver.
Old 11-21-2016, 7:42 AM

You mean this old thing......good to see you Dave! And a pleasure to meet you flyingbrian!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161120_111550.jpg (88.0 KB, 49 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
"Well I guess that's when you have to put on your big boy pants, let your balls drop and find out what's it like to be a man and take some responsibility."
Old 11-21-2016, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
The "idiots" were on the road going both ways! My 2.5hr trip up Fri afternoon took 4hrs! Bob, missed seeing ya at the show. Left early this morning to beat the backup, must have been ahead of dfletcher, and the plows. Got nasty on the summit to just the other side of Boreal, but no problems in 4wd, rolled right through.
Finally got to shake hands with Grumpyoldretiredcop, and he wasn't even grumpy.
Kind of a weak Fall show, prices were high, some were just laughable. Went looking for a M1A scope mount for my son, found a Springfield 3rd Gen laying with odds and ends for $10. Found the spare ammo holder for my Navy Victory shoulder holster for $5.
Stopped at the RCGE table for 2 boxes of Swede ammo and a 1911 mag. While standing there, ID'ed some expensive mags they almost sold to some buyer that thought they fit something else, so I got a deal on what I was buying. Thanks again River City!
I'm not a gambler, but sat with Justin4fun at the roulette table and won back what I spent on the show, so I left happy.
Manny (croweman) made a deal for something special. I'll let him post his find, I'll just say it's an old Winchester with a brass receiver.
If you getup and get going you can usually beat a lot of the BS as the hotels don't start emptying out until 9 (idiots think that's early)-11, then the traffic starts to build and backup after that, at least that's what we see here on the South Shore. If we are going to the Valley we NEVER on a Sunday we NEVER leave later than 0700!
Dave guess those jerks gotta get there BEFORE they return to make the trip miserable coming AND going! As usual they leave their brains behind, if they ever had any!
Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and Justin4fun, I imagine he filled you in on what's going on with me, plus the move to ABQ, NM. Got to shoot a 9mm submachine gun there last month and private party parking lot sales are still legal there, at least last month they still were no waiting periods, all C&R's shipped directly to your door, etc and a private gun club on land south of Kirtland AFB! They only take a limited number of new members annually (hoping my son-in-law applies and gives me the guest card) takes a key card to get in, 2 pistol ranges, 2 rifle ranges that are 400 & 800 yd, trap and skeet. They do national competitions according to the member that guested us in for the morning, a very pleasant experience!
I'll PM you later today with a couple questions as I have to go to Reno in a few minutes. Glad you got some goodies and Hope all is well with you.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Sounds like I didn't miss much. Hopefully the spring show will be better.
Old 11-21-2016, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweman08 View Post
You mean this old thing......good to see you Dave! And a pleasure to meet you flyingbrian!
Give me the serial on it, I want to see what year it was made! It's a .44 Flat rim fire, should have two firing pins.
Old 11-21-2016, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter View Post
Sounds like I didn't miss much. Hopefully the spring show will be better.
The place was packed on Saturday. I think this is the last show that has truly private buy & sell for NV residents, considering the Nov vote on background checks. And ammo buying for CA residents may be a challenge next year.
Old 11-21-2016, 5:56 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweman08 View Post

Such a tease! That beauty deserves a thread of its own.
Old 11-21-2016, 7:05 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Give me the serial on it, I want to see what year it was made! It's a .44 Flat rim fire, should have two firing pins.
It was made in 1871...i already checked! 79897....i also checked the firing pin.....it had been converted to CF...only one firing pin....no striker.....but the shocker.....the bore is beautiful! The lands have smoothed out a bit but still pretty good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
"Well I guess that's when you have to put on your big boy pants, let your balls drop and find out what's it like to be a man and take some responsibility."
Old 03-02-2017, 6:09 PM

Well it is that time again. The Big Reno show is next weekend ( Mar 10- 12). I am going , anybody else.

Old 03-02-2017, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well it is that time again. The Big Reno show is next weekend ( Mar 10- 12). I am going , anybody else.
Nope, packing to get outta this stupid state 15 days to go!
Old 03-02-2017, 7:40 PM

I'll be there.
Old 03-02-2017, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

I'll probably go, but not much of a road trip for me.

Quote:
Nope, packing to get outta this stupid state 15 days to go!
Where you headed?