Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-22-2021, 9:45 AM

Default Can a manufacturer engrave an 80% receiver as if it was 100%?

So with all the home built stuff going on. It seems easier to just go through the DROS process.

I was wondering if a manufacturer can engrave a serial number and all complianct information on an 80% and send it to an ffl for the DROS process?

Then the end buyer could complete the frame as they wish wihil following all compliant needs.

This would make the gun available for transfer to family or anyone down the line
Old 04-22-2021, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why would you WANT to have to do extra work to a DROS'd receiver?
By default, the manufacturers do 100% of the work and mark the receiver and then apply finish before shipping it out to a dealer who transfers it to you.

Exactly what benefit would you get from having to machine on the receiver after you DROS it?

The AK makers sell 100% completed receivers without trunnion holes if that is what you are asking about.
They do all the fire control holes though and that's what determines if the reciever is a firearm or not.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-22-2021, 7:41 PM

kind of an odd scenario. Who exactly would you get to do this? I can't see any 07FFL selling something like that. And I can't see any FFL agreeing to transfer something that isn't actually a firearm. That would be like engraving a number on a pipe and trying to DROS it. Nobody would let you do that. There are places that will engrave 80%s to order, but since it's still a paperweight they mail it right to you. Obviously there's "process" stuff for CA but for the rest of the country it's a good arrangement.
Old 04-22-2021, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just drill a small hole in the fire control pocket area a quarter inch deep. ATF will consider it a firearm at that point.
Old 04-22-2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Why would you WANT to have to do extra work to a DROS'd receiver?
By default, the manufacturers do 100% of the work and mark the receiver and then apply finish before shipping it out to a dealer who transfers it to you.

Exactly what benefit would you get from having to machine on the receiver after you DROS it?

The AK makers sell 100% completed receivers without trunnion holes if that is what you are asking about.
They do all the fire control holes though and that's what determines if the reciever is a firearm or not.

The why is what if someone wanted to roll there own MP5 clone or uzi center section reweld or ww2 tube receiver ect. Not explicit to ar/ak stuff.

The benefits are that this firearm will be able to be passed down to family or legally sold if wanted to down the line.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
kind of an odd scenario. Who exactly would you get to do this? I can't see any 07FFL selling something like that. And I can't see any FFL agreeing to transfer something that isn't actually a firearm. That would be like engraving a number on a pipe and trying to DROS it. Nobody would let you do that. There are places that will engrave 80%s to order, but since it's still a paperweight they mail it right to you. Obviously there's "process" stuff for CA but for the rest of the country it's a good arrangement.
It's not that odd, the current conversation on the ghost gun is if there is intent to build a gun from an object then that object is therefore a firearm. Just as with solvent traps.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower lover View Post
The why is what if someone wanted to roll there own MP5 clone or uzi center section reweld or ww2 tube receiver ect. Not explicit to ar/ak stuff.

The benefits are that this firearm will be able to be passed down to family or legally sold if wanted to down the line.
So have a local FFL07 mark your 80% that he manufactured it and then DROS it to you and then finish it out yourself.
Once it's marked and tax paid, it's a firearm, regardless of if it's functional.

There are still suppressors being built today on pieces of tubing that were serialized and NFA registered during the run-up to the FOPA in 1986.