Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-18-2023, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Fun with .45 Colt

A while back, I traded into a Uberti Henry 1860 in .45 Colt. I had dies, brass, and primers, but no official ".45 Colt" bullets. I did have a huge pile of 200gr SWC.45acp bullets, and since they were the same diameter, I decided to use them. I also had some "obsolete" powder on hand - AL-5 and W540 (now HS-6), so I decided to see if I could make them work. Consulting my vintage Lyman cast bullet manuals, I saw both powders used for this caliber for heavier bullets, so I worked up a couple of loads for each using the heavier bullet published data as a guide.

First, I loaded up a couple of test dummy rounds - a seated bullet on an empty case with no primer. Turns out, that was a pretty good idea because the SWC nose, seated to the customary length, was a bit too long and was jamming on the cartridge lift. Seating it a tad deeper solved the issue, so I put together 20 test loads - 10 for each powder using the same bullet.

I fired the 10 rounds, each at their respective 6 inch bullseyes, off-hand at 50 yards. During the firing, I checked and re-checked the rounds in the magazine for bullet set-back. None was observed during both strings. I was petty impressed with the results.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-18-2023, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah thats real good for off hand

Good job on making it work
Old 01-18-2023, 9:08 AM

fun, looks good and using old stuff - perfect
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 01-18-2023, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
fun, looks good and using old stuff - perfect
About a year ago I was at a gun show and a fellow had three cans of AL powder - two of AL-5 and one AL-8. He wanted $15 for all three, and I do love a deal. The AL-5 worked well for me in .38spl (as did the W540), so I figured I'd try it out for this caliber since I had it on-hand. Also - those old Lyman cast bullet manuals are a wealth of information on powder/bullet combo's that have fallen out of favor.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-18-2023, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Hard to go wrong with .45 Colt.

Actually, thanks to an old reloader dude, I have a 1971 Sierra reloading manual with AL-5 and AL-7 reloading data for handgun cartridges. Interesting stuff.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-18-2023, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Actually, thanks to an old reloader dude, I have a 1971 Sierra reloading manual with AL-5 and AL-7 reloading data for handgun cartridges. Interesting stuff.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-18-2023, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post

It is shotgun powder after all, so not surprising it would work for pistols. The trick is finding recipes.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've never been able to throw away old loading manuals. A couple of times I got screaming deals at garage estate sales.
I still have some 540 too. Used to use it for 9X21, worked very well in that and .40. Just a little faster than 571 IIRC. I think WSF was it's replacement.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 01-19-2023, 1:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think I have a 3lb can of AL-5 that I have not played with, primarily due to lack of data.
Old 01-19-2023, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

'bossman, it's pretty hard not to have fun shooting .45 Colt, whether rifle or revolver. It's my favorite cartridge to shoot in the desert.. You did good!

MLC
Old 01-19-2023, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I think I have a 3lb can of AL-5 that I have not played with, primarily due to lack of data.
Yup - it's hard to find recipes for obsolete powders. They can be found in old paper manuals from the 60's and the 70's, but you're not going to see them in Quickload.

Old 01-19-2023, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
'bossman, it's pretty hard not to have fun shooting .45 Colt, whether rifle or revolver. It's my favorite cartridge to shoot in the desert.. You did good!

MLC
While I like .45 Colt just fine, I really have a thing for 44-40 and 38-40.

The Uberti 1860 Henry comes in two chamberings, .45 Colt and 44-40. The reason I have the .45 Colt version is because that is what the fellow had that I was trading with. Even though I would have preferred the 44-40, I do have to admit that the .45 Colt is both easy to load for and a great deal of fun to shoot.

Also - a belated shout-out to Cowboy T, who sent me a pile of .45 Colt brass gratis a while back.

Old 01-19-2023, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
I still have some 540 too. Used to use it for 9X21, worked very well in that and .40. Just a little faster than 571 IIRC. I think WSF was it's replacement.
According to Hodgdon, HS-6 is the equivalent:

https://hodgdon.com/hs-6/

Quote:
HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant and identical to Winchester’s discontinued 540.

Old 01-19-2023, 2:15 PM

I got into reloading over 25 years ago specifically because of the .45 Colt and how I could put up powerful loads for the Ruger Blackhawk I owned at the time. It is still one of my favorite handgun calibers and is a LOT of fun to experiment with the variety of published loads.

Right now I am experimenting with a hot .45 Colt load for use in the .45 Colt cylinder of my Freedom Arms Model 83. Hotter than I would try in any of my other .45 Colt revolvers since the FA is a tank. Much fun.

Dan
Old 01-19-2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
While I like .45 Colt just fine, I really have a thing for 44-40 and 38-40.

The Uberti 1860 Henry comes in two chamberings, .45 Colt and 44-40. The reason I have the .45 Colt version is because that is what the fellow had that I was trading with. Even though I would have preferred the 44-40, I do have to admit that the .45 Colt is both easy to load for and a great deal of fun to shoot.

Also - a belated shout-out to Cowboy T, who sent me a pile of .45 Colt brass gratis a while back.
Sounds like a fun gun. I like the 44-40 too but the 45 Colt is way easier to load and find brass. I really want a 73, and thought I wanted one in 44-40, but might just get one in 45 Colt. I know it is not an original caliber but have a ton of brass, mold and dies.
Old 01-19-2023, 7:26 PM

Nice job I love the 45 colt. I have 2 pounds of Winchester 540 in the cylinder tins and several other discounted powders from the past including top mark. I have load data on many old powder including al 5 if anyone is interested. And yes the Lyman handbook of cast bullets 1 and 2 are absolutely gold and a must have in my opinion to any serious reloading bench
Old 01-20-2023, 8:16 AM
Probationary Member

45LC is a great round. I haven’t been reloading nearly as long as some of you so I don’t have these older powders lying around but the 45LC is the reason I started reloading. Titegroup has been my go to for this round since I’ve always had it available to me. I guess I should be more open to other powders (new or old) as they make themselves available.
Old 01-20-2023, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post
45LC is a great round. I haven’t been reloading nearly as long as some of you so I don’t have these older powders lying around but the 45LC is the reason I started reloading. Titegroup has been my go to for this round since I’ve always had it available to me. I guess I should be more open to other powders (new or old) as they make themselves available.
I use W231 and W296 for the .45 Colt since I have these powders for several other handgun calibers (32 S&W Long, .32 acp, .38 Special, .45 acp and .357 Magnum for the W231 - .357 Magnum, .45 Colt and 454 Casull for the W296).

Dan
Old 01-20-2023, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGOX View Post
Nice job I love the 45 colt. I have 2 pounds of Winchester 540 in the cylinder tins and several other discounted powders from the past including top mark. I have load data on many old powder including al 5 if anyone is interested. And yes the Lyman handbook of cast bullets 1 and 2 are absolutely gold and a must have in my opinion to any serious reloading bench
I'd love to see what you have for W540 and especially AL-5 (and AL-8 as well).

Old 01-20-2023, 2:40 PM
Probationary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
I use W231 and W296 for the .45 Colt since I have these powders for several other handgun calibers (32 S&W Long, .32 acp, .38 Special, .45 acp and .357 Magnum for the W231 - .357 Magnum, .45 Colt and 454 Casull for the W296).

Dan
Thanks Dan!

The 45LC was the first caliber I loaded for and at the time, I went with Titegroup. Even though I've added numerous powders and calibers to the list of what I reload, I've always just stuck with Titegroup for the 45LC. I still have a few pounds of it left and I don't use it for anything else so it will last a while. I kind of just stuck with what works. I know I have other powders that will work but I'm keeping those for other calibers.
Old 01-20-2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see what you have for W540 and especially AL-5 (and AL-8 as well).
I think HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. As for AL5 most data was for 12g 20g maybe 357 if I remember correctly I'll have to look at AL8. What kind of data are you looking for?
Old 01-20-2023, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGOX View Post
I think HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. As for AL5 most data was for 12g 20g maybe 357 if I remember correctly I'll have to look at AL8. What kind of data are you looking for?
I'd primarily would like to know what I can use AL-8 for in pistols

Old 01-20-2023, 6:15 PM

^^^^^
22 Remington Jet
.22-250 Remington Reduced Load
.220 Swift Reduced Loads
.225 Winchester Reduced Loads
.25 Automatic / .25 ACP
.256 Winchester Magnum (Cast Bullets)
.357 Magnum
.40-65 Winchester
.41 Magnum / .41 Remington Magnum
.44 Remington Magnum
.44 Special
.44-06
.45 ACP
.45 Colt

I'm sure there's more
Old 01-20-2023, 11:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'd primarily would like to know what I can use AL-8 for in pistols
Looks like a magnum handgun powder so 357-41-44mag and the like.
Some loading manual pages posted here:
https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/th...al-8-question/

Lyman 44th (1967) has 44mag data for it.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 01-20-2023 at 11:06 PM..
Old 01-21-2023, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Looks like a magnum handgun powder so 357-41-44mag and the like.
Some loading manual pages posted here:
https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/th...al-8-question/

Lyman 44th (1967) has 44mag data for it.
Well now, that was useful - thanks!