Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 04-23-2019, 9:34 AM

Default M&P 9 Shield Holster?

Just recently purchased one. What do you guys use? I’ve been using an alien gear for my XD but I’m leaning more towards a single clip for the M&P, probably AIWB. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM

blackhawk has a very affordable and useful ambi holster for less than $15
Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM

I’ve tried a few different ones: Tulster Profile, Aliengear, crossbreed minituck, and CYA Supply Co. Right now I’m using the CYA holster for appendix and it’s great. I also just got a Raven Concealment trigger guard which is the lowest profile. Waiting for my G-Code Phenom Stealth since it’s low profile and has the “tactical fuzz.” I don’t recommend crossbreed or Aliengear for the Shield. I personally like the CYA Supp Co holster and hoping the G-Code Phenom Stealth is my new EDC. Oh, you can also checkout Tier One Axis Slim it Agis. I have one of them for my Glock 26 and they’re the most comfortable Kydex AIWB. Lot of this is personal preference and A LOT of trial & error. Happy hunting.
Old 04-23-2019, 5:25 PM

I have a tier 1 axis slim I could sell you. I like it. But I like my T-Rex Sidecar better. Pm me if you want to meet up somewhere and check it out. I live in Tracy.
Old 04-23-2019, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I just picked up a Blade-Tech klipt, for mine, so far so good. Not as bulky as the Alien Gear I had been using. Alien Gear isn't bad it's just too damn big for the Shield.
Old 04-24-2019, 7:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use a Uncle Mikes iwb cheap holster. I have a few others but the cheap 10 one seems to be the most comfortable. It is worth a try because there cheap.
Old 04-24-2019, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

I use a Destantis mini scabbard. Inside the waistband is uncomfortable to me.
Old 04-25-2019, 8:58 AM

I use a CYA. If there is something better out there, I haven't had any reason to go look for it.
Old 04-26-2019, 8:10 AM

Old 04-26-2019, 8:25 AM

Foxx IWB leather and kydex. Works well
Old 04-26-2019, 9:24 AM

TXC holsters is the way to go for AIWB, esp if you decide to carry an extra mag or complimentary edge weapon. They are fully modular with flexible hinges and customizable. They also have built in wedges to help push the grip towards your body aiding in concealment.
https://txcholsters.com/
Old 04-26-2019, 3:05 PM

I have been using Sticky recently. I like the comfort and am impressed how well it stays where you place it. The thing I find awkward about this style of holster -- with no clips at all -- is using public restrooms. Where do you put your weapon when you have to sit down? And then trying to get your t-shirt tucked in and pants zipped up while holding your pistol is like a juggling act. There is typically no place to set your pistol down; you can't put it on the floor for risk of someone seeing it under the wall of he stall. The last time I went through that juggling act I heard a faint "click" and was unsure where it came from. But after I got everything back together I checked the magazine and sure enough, somehow I had hit the mag release (its the stock version).
Anyway I really like the Sticky, but I think I would prefer a soft holster with one belt clip to help keep things in place. What do the rest of you do with a sticky when you have to use a public restroom?
Old 04-26-2019, 3:12 PM

Bravo concealment torsion. Nice fitting holster.
Old 04-26-2019, 7:05 PM

I prefer the Vedder IWB holster for the Shield. I recently sold the Shield 9 that I had and I'm going to put several holsters up for sale. Let me know if you're interested via PM and I'll tell you what I have.

I have Vedder holster for all of my handguns except for my Kahr K-9 because Vedder does not make one for that gun.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:55 PM

I have Tier1 holster for a Shield for sale in the Marketplace.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM

I've tried several different IWB holsters for my Shield, but I keep going back to the CYA. It's well made, reasonably comfortable, and conceals well. Most of the time, though, I carry OWB in a UBG Phaetos leather holster.
Old 05-30-2019, 6:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’ve been using a single clip Multi Holsters IWB kydex holster for several years with no complaints.
Old 05-30-2019, 7:01 PM

I have two holsters for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got this one for my hikes in the woods, Lots of high stepping, climbing over crap etc, an inside the waistband just does not work for me on the trail. It does the job, holding the Shield but I am not crazy about it. It is not the most comfortable when you have to bend down / squat etc, the hard edge/corner tends to jab into my hip. Also it has no barrier between the section of the pistol above the holster and the wearer, I get the safety poking into my skin now and then and end up sweating on the gun. I have to have a shirt between me and the pistol to make it comfortable which means to CCW I have to wear 2 layers, Too hot for that, looking for a better OWB holster. But for being out and about in town, it works just fine.

Ultra Carry IWB from Precision Holsters, I believe they are veteran owned and ran as well. I Fking LOVE this holster, It is so comfortable, more than my owb holster. Hard exterior and soft leather on the body side, the leather extends up the entire length of the slide keeping it off my skin. The gun side of the leather is as pictured but the back side is different, very soft cloth like texture, does not cause you to sweat, and if you did your gun is not going to get soaked. I forget I have it on. If you are going IWB I would give this one some consideration. I got it from a local gun shop for just over $60 I guess. Worth every cent. I do not feel the need for anything else other than when I go hiking, with all the climbing it begins to get uncomfortable on the area where the hip and leg bend. Outside of that it is super comfortable and stable. Comes with the quick attachment clips so you do not have to undo your belt to mount or dismount it.
You can see how narrow the base is compared to the holster shown above it, yet it is just as solid and stable.

3. I have been thinking about switching out my kydex OWB hiking holster for one of these russian made leather holsters I see on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-M-P-Com...orig_cvip=true

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 05-30-2019 at 7:17 PM..
Old 06-02-2019, 1:51 PM

It all depends on how chubby everyone is or FaT
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7WTCBePyp2GCamIM" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/scared-donald-trump-bernie-sanders-3o7WTCBePyp2GCamIM">via GIPHY</a></p>
Old 06-14-2019, 7:32 PM

Definitely check out stealthgear usa on Amazon almost the same price as aliengear and way better.
Old 06-24-2019, 4:39 PM

I use a Concealment Express Kydex Appendix IWB holster and find it very comfortable. Adjustable retention and cant. Belt clip options for 1.5" or 1.75". Clip stays put on the draw. I don't see much difference, if any, with my custom made high dollar kydex holster.
Old 06-24-2019, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Tried a Stealthgear and wound up sending it right back. The fit/finish wasn't all that great and one of the metal T-nuts was right on the edge seam and it dug into my side. Not comfortable at all.

Also tried another all kydex holster, but I can't remember the name. The shape made for a bloody affair when drawing the gun as it was right in the way when getting a grip on the gun.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-09-2019, 1:51 PM

I use Sticky too. I typically just set it on top of the toilet (if no tank then it balances it on the metal part), wedge between the handicapped rail and wall, in the toilet seat cover dispenser, or on the toilet paper dispenser. Never have had a problem finding a place to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrail View Post
I have been using Sticky recently. I like the comfort and am impressed how well it stays where you place it. The thing I find awkward about this style of holster -- with no clips at all -- is using public restrooms. Where do you put your weapon when you have to sit down? And then trying to get your t-shirt tucked in and pants zipped up while holding your pistol is like a juggling act. There is typically no place to set your pistol down; you can't put it on the floor for risk of someone seeing it under the wall of he stall. The last time I went through that juggling act I heard a faint "click" and was unsure where it came from. But after I got everything back together I checked the magazine and sure enough, somehow I had hit the mag release (its the stock version).
Anyway I really like the Sticky, but I think I would prefer a soft holster with one belt clip to help keep things in place. What do the rest of you do with a sticky when you have to use a public restroom?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 07-09-2019, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

AIWB holsters are very specific and have unique features. I prefer a single offset clip with a wing of some type.

You also have to determine spare magazine and belt system as well. Some prefer a side-car type mag carrier while some prefer to carry it elsewhere if at all. Belts will vary, but I believe that the Blue Alpha Gear or similar Vedder EDC hybrid nylon belts are the best. Especially when you have to go make poopy.

I have a Zorn Skinny Rig for sale in my thread. If that is a style that you prefer, give it a shot.

I personally am now using the LLOD holster with mag caddy.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
I use Sticky too. I typically just set it on top of the toilet (if no tank then it balances it on the metal part), wedge between the handicapped rail and wall, in the toilet seat cover dispenser, or on the toilet paper dispenser. Never have had a problem finding a place to put it.
There have been cases where folks have found left behind firearms in toilet stalls. Can you imagine that sinking feeling?
I'm very regular so having to take a dump after I leave the house in the morning is almost non existent ;-)
Sticky holsters and the like are great for short peroid use and inactive activities. Normal day to day activity, I don't use them.
IWB or OWB with full sized firearms (Commander1911) is pretty easy in the toilet. Just don't let your pants hit the floor which would be discusting anyways.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-21-2019, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

https://packinfurdefense.com/products/s-w-m-p-shield

Very comfortable and highly adjustable.
Old 08-29-2019, 7:53 PM

I personally love and brand called Multi-Holster. It is hard to find as they don't have any dealers. I recommend them highly for CCW carry other paddle or IWB. Their paddles don't come out of your pants with the gun due to the "teeth" the holster has. Much better than many big brand names that just suck IMO.

Duty Gear
Old 09-09-2019, 9:19 AM

Bravo concleament DOS
Old 09-21-2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
I use a Destantis mini scabbard. Inside the waistband is uncomfortable to me.
Desantis speed scabbard is awesome for OWB. Vedder lghtuck is awesome for IWB. I use both depending on clothes.
Old 09-21-2019, 8:03 PM

Crossbreed holsters with two clips for single stacks like Shield is too much holster for too little gun, in my opinion. Sticky holsters is not enough holster for any gun, really. The sweet spot for small guns, in my opinion, is single clip kydex like Vedder Lighttuck.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/361.htm
Old 09-22-2019, 3:22 PM

TT gun leather Slim XC.
The Shield and it’s competitors are all about thinness (~1 inch thick).
A holster like the Slim XC or other holsters with the clips to the sides of the holster body keeps the clips from “stacking” on top of holster/gun adding to overall thickness.

Last edited by thorium; 09-22-2019 at 3:33 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 2:30 PM

I use the crossbreed mini tuck for the shield and full tuck for G19, for me 170 pounds and thin very comfortable the leather once formed to you makes the gun disappear, you do have to put up with the 2 clips to remove them but it spreads the weight of the gun better, I carry at 4 o’clock with no bulge on either weapon. You do have to put up with the shell not really holding the gun if you turn it upside down but once on I have not had issue with either gun falling out.
I tried multiple holsters as you should to find the one that fits the best and comfortable all day otherwise you will not carry it.
Old 10-16-2019, 9:12 AM

I recently purchased a CYA with the single fat clip and I don't like it very much. The problem I have with it is that the clip gets in the way when you want to draw your firearm. You can't get a good grip on the gun because you have nowhere to place your index finger while drawing because the clip is in the way. I'm searching for another holster, one that has two clips.
Old 10-16-2019, 2:15 PM

Q-Series Stealth Holster, it is a tiny "minimalist" holster with a very strong and secure steel clip that is also tuckable. Only thing about it is that it has no sweat-guard so you need to wear and undershirt/wife-beater with this.
Old 10-16-2019, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseg1320 View Post
I recently purchased a CYA with the single fat clip and I don't like it very much. The problem I have with it is that the clip gets in the way when you want to draw your firearm. You can't get a good grip on the gun because you have nowhere to place your index finger while drawing because the clip is in the way. I'm searching for another holster, one that has two clips.
Try an offset single clip like the RCS clip. The Zorn Skinny Rig design comes to mind. I also dislike the giant single clip in the center.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 11-04-2019, 4:52 AM

Blackpoint Tactical Mini-Wing https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/miniwing/

Off The Grid Concepts
https://otghex.com

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 11-04-2019, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrail View Post

I like Sticky/Clinger for casual use, but changed to the new AlienGear Grip Tuck recently for my G26 cuz it has the clip you are looking for......grippy, softer holster with a clip....comfortable, works fine

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Arrow

Desantis Slim Tuk.

Affordable, doesn’t break the bank and has adjustable ride height / cant.

Last edited by j.primo; 11-08-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsq45 View Post
Just recently purchased one. What do you guys use? I’ve been using an alien gear for my XD but I’m leaning more towards a single clip for the M&P, probably AIWB. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
For what: Concealed carry or open carry?

I use an old Bianchi Tuxedo shoulder holster for my Shield. It has a holster for a 1911 Officers. It fits good enough. I did a lot of hiking in the mountains and it never fell out.

DeSantis makes a nice one (Sof Tuck) for inside the waistband carry.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

Last edited by Carcassonne; 11-09-2019 at 5:18 PM..