Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 74 8.05%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 620 67.46%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 20 2.18%
I paid too much for my Membership! 43 4.68%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.39%
Don't want anything to do with them! 140 15.23%
Voters: 919. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I think most regular shooters of the test would agree that shooting a controlled pair at the 50 in 6 seconds starts getting into the lucky shot territory with a 4" barrel and its associated site radius. The 25 in 2.7 is also a bit more tough. For the rest of the test it doesn't matter too much.

I would guess that these are to the thoracic cavity? And from concealment?

_
Old 03-24-2019, 9:53 AM

There is zero concealment permitted for the Masters test.
And yes, thoracic cavity

I can post the test if you'd like
Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Default president

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
I am still looking for a President membership if anyone is selling...
that's gonna be a hard one, when they started they were $795 each, I heard they are up near $2000?

I have 9, wife has 5, BUT, when we trade them in for timeshare payments (if/when they get built) we get 2 times what we paid: so they are worth $1590 each for us. My guess whoever has them are either saving them for time share final payments, or they were too expensive to sell and there are not many out there.

if you want them for unlimited private classes, then I guess its worth it to you, otherwise its not much different than other memberships?

if you need a private training CERTIFICATE (as all certificates) these are one time use, I think I have a 1+4 left, wife may have a 1+1 left. You can make an offer, but there not cheap either as there are a only a few out there?

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
There is zero concealment permitted for the Masters test.
And yes, thoracic cavity
Whoa!?! That makes for a SMALLER target...

I did a pair to 50-yards from draw once (more than a year back, if I would recall) - my split was about 2.5. But the target was the entire steel silhouette..!

Quote:
I can post the test if you'd like
Yes, please... Thanks!!!

_
Old 03-24-2019, 2:02 PM

Here's the test. Its important to keep in mind that the time you have to complete your shots is significantly less then it looks. The test is given on turning targets 99.999% of the time. The par-time is for when the targets are turned away from the shooter at 45 degrees.

For thoracic cavity shots, this isn't too bad because the 'hit box' is shrinking in the horizontal direction but remains the same vertically because the target rotates about the center. Don't get me wrong...its bad, just not as bad as hostage taker and odd-angles where you not shooting at the center. For those, pretty much as soon as the target begins turning you have lost your shot.

The target begins turning appx .3 to .5 seconds before the end of par-time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HCM.pdf (49.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by mej16489; 03-24-2019 at 2:05 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Here's the test. Its important to keep in mind that the time you have to complete your shots is significantly less then it looks. The test is given on turning targets 99.999% of the time. The par-time is for when the targets are turned away from the shooter at 45 degrees.

For thoracic cavity shots, this isn't too bad because the 'hit box' is shrinking in the horizontal direction but remains the same vertically because the target rotates about the center. Don't get me wrong...its bad, just not as bad as hostage taker and odd-angles where you not shooting at the center. For those, pretty much as soon as the target begins turning you have lost your shot.

Thanks!!!

Whoa!?! Those are hard-core times...

The next time I'm out at FS, need to get some targets for dry practice.

_
Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:

are those times from the holster?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

The PDF shows the scores for DG and G. Does the HCMP class use the standard DG, G and CA?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
They all are. What fun would it be if it wasn't?
Old 03-25-2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
The PDF shows the scores for DG and G. Does the HCMP class use the standard DG, G and CA?
Nope Handgun Combat Master is pass or fail
Old 03-25-2019, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nope Handgun Combat Master is pass or fail
Mainly fail! Bwhahahaha

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 03-25-2019, 7:27 AM

I know I've added my fair share of fail scores.
Old 03-25-2019, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
that's gonna be a hard one, when they started they were $795 each, I heard they are up near $2000?

I have 9, wife has 5, BUT, when we trade them in for timeshare payments (if/when they get built) we get 2 times what we paid: so they are worth $1590 each for us. My guess whoever has them are either saving them for time share final payments, or they were too expensive to sell and there are not many out there.

if you want them for unlimited private classes, then I guess its worth it to you, otherwise its not much different than other memberships?

if you need a private training CERTIFICATE (as all certificates) these are one time use, I think I have a 1+4 left, wife may have a 1+1 left. You can make an offer, but there not cheap either as there are a only a few out there?
When I first bought my President, it was a $2,000.00 upgrade when it first came out. It allowed me to bring up to four (or maybe five) others with me. I recall later that they started to offer a President for a specific price and then you decided how many extra people you wanted to bring for additional costs per person. If I may ask, the $795.00 price that you quoted, was that solely for yourself or did that price include other participants joining with you? Just curious to know.
Old 03-25-2019, 7:33 AM

Old 03-25-2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
That's mostly a remnant of the excel sheet I've compiled over time for the tests. Ultimately its all about getting under that -40

I'm not sure one way or the other if the certificates get stickers or not...in the dozen or so times I've taken the 'course' I've never stayed for the certificates. However, when I look in my course history online they nearly all have a G. I don't really know the rhyme or reason why when they do or don't. I keep a log of all my training shoots as well as my official tests, I've always shot -120 or better on multiple iterations of the test.
Old 03-25-2019, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Yes, from the holster.

I suppose its also important to point out the scoring system for the 10 hostage-taker shots. If you hit the hostage in any fashion that's -10. If you hit the hostage and manage a peripheral hit on the hostage-taker its -8 or -9 depending on major/minor caliber. Hostage and in the head-box is -5

So, to put that in perspective a little bit, on just those 10 shots its possible to shoot -100. If you simply leave your gun in the holster its only -50.

Last edited by mej16489; 03-25-2019 at 8:40 AM..
Old 03-25-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
There is no such thing as "failing" the HCM test.

Those were just "training" tests for you