Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-17-2019, 5:29 AM

Default C&R Purchases in Reno

I'm heading to the Reno area April 10th and am bringing my FFL along. So I am looking for suggestions on where I can find some C&R toys, maybe knowing of a store or possibly of someone that is clearing out their collection. I'd like to hear about some leads if anyone has any, cheers.
Old 03-17-2019, 2:14 PM

When I head to Reno for C&R it is for "The Big Reno Show" (formerly known as The Big Reno Gun Show). Lots and lots and lots of C&R there. Past two times I've gone I have come back with something new [to me].
Old 03-17-2019, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

I used to say Cabelas, but they decided to enforce laws that don't exist.
Old 03-18-2019, 9:05 AM

See Dan @ Sunrise Pass arms in Minden in the Johnson Lane area. Dan just acquired around over 300 C&R rifles from an estate.

Last edited by Nevada Hudson; 03-23-2019 at 9:11 AM..
Old 03-20-2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
See Dan @ Sunrise Pass arms in Minden in the Johnson Lane area. Dan just acquired around over 300 C&R rifles rom an estate.
I'll give this place a look, good lead.
No gun show that week, I've been to that one and had good results.
Learned Cabela's the hard way myself, felt like some sort of criminal when they told me 'oh we can send it to your local FFL dealer'.
Old 03-21-2019, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRonRRT View Post
Learned Cabela's the hard way myself, felt like some sort of criminal when they told me 'oh we can send it to your local FFL dealer'.
Double Down on Sunrise Pass, Dan is a great guy, Google for location and store hrs. He's south of Carson City, north of Minden. WAAAAAAy too many CA gun guys don't bother to drive down there and really miss out!
Old 03-21-2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:

I hate when a dealer doesn’t understand the laws. The whole reason I got my 03 was to make collecting easier.
Old 03-22-2019, 6:21 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrooklyn View Post
I hate when a dealer doesn’t understand the laws. The whole reason I got my 03 was to make collecting easier.
Cabelas turned to the dark side once they were purchased by Basspro.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 03-23-2019, 8:08 PM

I looked this place up and found a facebook page that wouldn't load as well as a phone number. Google has the hours, so from what everyone is saying here, it sounds reliable enough. Hope the prices are reasonable, I know that pretty much anything out of state goes for less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Double Down on Sunrise Pass, Dan is a great guy, Google for location and store hrs. He's south of Carson City, north of Minden. WAAAAAAy too many CA gun guys don't bother to drive down there and really miss out!
Old 03-23-2019, 9:21 PM

Tagged
Old 03-24-2019, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I looked this place up and found a facebook page that wouldn't load as well as a phone number. Google has the hours, so from what everyone is saying here, it sounds reliable enough. Hope the prices are reasonable, I know that pretty much anything out of state goes for less.
Up until 2 years ago (before we moved to New Mexico) Sunrise Pass would receive all my C&R's and charge me a 20 dollar transfer fee, now I think he also has to charge NV St sales tax. But still it was FFL to FFL transfer no NICS, 4473 etc. Dan also bought some items from at a very fair price. Two years a ago I in turn picked up a consignment M1 Carbine fer $650 which as it turned out had been auctioned by the CMP in 2008 for $850. Even has the hangtag with the odd and original parts identified by CMP, that same M1 would pull in excess of $1500 on the CMP Auction today. I'm sure Dan's pricing is very fair for the quality of what you get. He's a former CA resident so knows CA gun laws and super nice to talk with, always makes time to have a conversation and has number antiques and C&R's usually quite an education when you visit his shop. I "think" Sat hours are by prior arraignment. So call ahead to confirm!!!!!!!
Wish We were closer so I could get there before Nevada Hudson and the other locals that know about this shop gets all the good stuff
Old 03-24-2019, 8:15 AM

Sunrise pass Arms 2516 H Business Pkwy H, Minden NV 89423 (775) 267-2284
Old 03-24-2019, 8:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
Sunrise pass Arms 2516 H Business Pkwy H, Minden NV 89423 (775) 267-2284
North of Minden, East of HWY 395 toward end of Johnson Lane I think. Never made it to the new location as he moved after we did.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Up until 2 years ago (before we moved to New Mexico) Sunrise Pass would receive all my C&R's and charge me a 20 dollar transfer fee, now I think he also has to charge NV St sales tax. But still it was FFL to FFL transfer no NICS, 4473 etc. Dan also bought some items from at a very fair price. Two years a ago I in turn picked up a consignment M1 Carbine fer $650 which as it turned out had been auctioned by the CMP in 2008 for $850. Even has the hangtag with the odd and original parts identified by CMP, that same M1 would pull in excess of $1500 on the CMP Auction today. I'm sure Dan's pricing is very fair for the quality of what you get. He's a former CA resident so knows CA gun laws and super nice to talk with, always makes time to have a conversation and has number antiques and C&R's usually quite an education when you visit his shop. I "think" Sat hours are by prior arraignment. So call ahead to confirm!!!!!!!
Wish We were closer so I could get there before Nevada Hudson and the other locals that know about this shop gets all the good stuff
My first and so far only trip was last Sept after the Reno air races. I also picked up a former CMP M1 Carbine from him. He also had a very nice union switch and signal 1911A1 in the front cabinet priced at $5K.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I heard today from a friend that Reno Cabelas gun library folks recently told him C&R rifles were probably ok to release to CA residents but not handguns.

However, they will ship guns for free to a Bass Pro near you, and charge no transfer fee. You only pay DROS and tax. And if you have 03+COE you should be able to walk out with it after that.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
My first and so far only trip was last Sept after the Reno air races. I also picked up a former CMP M1 Carbine from him. He also had a very nice union switch and signal 1911A1 in the front cabinet priced at $5K.
Glad you made it down to see Dan, he's also a great gunsmith!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I heard today from a friend that Reno Cabelas gun library folks recently told him C&R rifles were probably ok to release to CA residents but not handguns.

However, they will ship guns for free to a Bass Pro near you, and charge no transfer fee. You only pay DROS and tax. And if you have 03+COE you should be able to walk out with it after that.
I "guess" that's good news but needs confirmation, but STILL doesn't follow the law!

I have to go by the ABQ, NM Cabela's to see of they STILL have the Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 on the rack fer almost $600 no, it's a standard 22 lr. Been there almost a year now, I told them twice already they have it priced too high!
Oh Well!