Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 01-07-2019, 6:28 AM

Default Moderators. Know what you have.

When I was a kid here in CA I hunted with a Sheridan pump air rifle. I wore the thing out. I remember one time walking down a street to get to a field to hunt rabbits a Sheriff stopped me and did not realize it was a pellet rifle. He thought it was cool and told me not to load it until I was off the road. When I became a bigger kid a friend of mine that I hunted with showed me some air gun magazines that had the newest innovations of PCP rifles from England. We were hooked.
One of the biggest things that caught our eyes is that they were advertised with what the British called a Moderator that came affixed to the rifle barrel.
We ordered them after making enquiries over there and here about this thing on the end of the barrel we called barrel weights.
Fast forward to the early 2000s and Americans manufactures were incorporating “shrouds” affixed to their products.
Be aware of after market “Barrel Weights”. Here is a article that Tom Gaylord the god father of air rifles wrote.
https://www.pyramydair.com/article/A...August_2006/32
Old 01-08-2019, 5:13 AM
CGSSA Leader

Wow, just wow!
What about all the new airguns are coming out with moderators already attached as a stock item?
Almost all high end pellet guns coming out are "moderated", I'd hate to drop 2k on an FX Impact only to find out I'm in violation of the silencer law.
Food for thought
Old 01-08-2019, 8:01 AM

Default Cavate emptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Wow, just wow!
What about all the new airguns are coming out with moderators already attached as a stock item?
Almost all high end pellet guns coming out are "moderated", I'd hate to drop 2k on an FX Impact only to find out I'm in violation of the silencer law.
Food for thought
Manufactures came out with affixed moderators built in that cannot be removed. This put that part of the rifle legal as far as manufacture are concerned with the BATF. State jurisdictions are a different matter. Aftermarket manufactures are just rolling the dice.

Last edited by deadshot; 01-08-2019 at 8:14 AM..
Old 01-08-2019, 8:30 AM

Default Cavate emptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Wow, just wow!
Food for thought
Manufactures came out with affixed moderators built in that cannot be removed. This put that part of the rifle legal as far as the BATF is concerned. That made manufactures of air rifles off the hook for shipping in the US. State jurisdictions are a different matter.
Old 01-11-2019, 9:27 PM

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for possession of a moderator designed for, and used, strictly on an air gun? How about manufacturers, Donnyfl for example - have they come under scrutiny of the feds for these products? Or distributors like Airguns of Arizona - any prosecutions there? The point is, if moderators were in the crosshairs of the BATFE I'm pretty sure we would all know about it by now.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTPO View Post
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for possession of a moderator designed for, and used, strictly on an air gun? How about manufacturers, Donnyfl for example - have they come under scrutiny of the feds for these products? Or distributors like Airguns of Arizona - any prosecutions there? The point is, if moderators were in the crosshairs of the BATFE I'm pretty sure we would all know about it by now.
This. To think otherwise is to fan the flames of an imaginary conflaguration of FUD.
Old 01-13-2019, 7:22 AM

Default Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTPO View Post
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for possession of a moderator designed for, and used, strictly on an air gun?
Yes. All it takes is one DA to make a example. You better have Saul on speed dial. Go ahead and use one. It is only a grey area.
Old 03-14-2019, 6:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Typical calgun hand wringing regulation junkie FUD thread.

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Default LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Typical calgun hand wringing regulation junkie FUD thread.
Yeah, Your a real pirate .
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the DOJ gets most of its unnecessary enforcement ideas from threads like this on Calguns. Keep up the good work, gentlemen! Your state government thanks you.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Curses, he's on to me....

Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Default LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I think the DOJ gets most of its unnecessary enforcement ideas from threads like this on Calguns. Keep up the good work, gentlemen! Your state government thanks you.
Like this is the first time or site that has addressed the issue.
Old 03-14-2019, 2:05 PM

Thought this was interesting quote from the article linked above in the “Why doesn't somebody write to the head of BATFE and request that they make a ruling about airgun silencers” sub section:

“So, if a device can be REMOVED from an airgun and ATTACHED to a portable firearm and diminish its report, that device is then legally defined as a silencer.”

The DonnyFL threaded adapter for my soon to be MROD is 1/2 x 20 pitch, and the accompanying TATSU moderator is the same. Based on the statement above I do not believe any rifle I own is in the same pitch; so I can own the moderator without “fear.”

Of course I doubt the statement from that article is legal advice, but it’d be an interesting case if ever charges were brought.
Old 03-14-2019, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
.... “Why doesn't somebody write to the head of BATFE and request that they make a ruling about airgun silencers” .....
What a mind bogglingly stupid idea. Let's invite CA DOJ as well. And while we're at it, let's drive nails thru our cranks real slow....

And fwiw, donnyFL's stuff is highly overrated and would surely blow apart if used on a powder burner...

Last edited by Paul_R; 03-14-2019 at 2:44 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 2:46 PM

This thread inspired me to get an airgun
Old 03-14-2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
What a mind bogglingly stupid idea. Let's invite CA DOJ as well. And while we're at it, let's drive nails thru our cranks real slow....

And fwiw, donnyFL's stuff is highly overrated and would surely blow apart if used on a powder burner...
Non-related to the topic, but do you have experience with the donnyFL products by chance?

Feel free to PM me; was looking at there products after stumbling onto TKO moderators.
Old 03-14-2019, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Mods should delete this fudfest of a thread...
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 03-15-2019, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Mods should delete this fudfest of a thread...
I thought the Moderators were being alerted to this thread by the title of it. LOL
Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Fast forward to the early 2000s and Americans manufactures were incorporating “shrouds” affixed to their products.
Be aware of after market “Barrel Weights”. Here is a article that Tom Gaylord the god father of air rifles wrote.
https://www.pyramydair.com/article/A...August_2006/32
Quote:
Manufactures came out with affixed moderators built in that cannot be removed. This put that part of the rifle legal as far as manufacture are concerned with the BATF. State jurisdictions are a different matter. Aftermarket manufactures are just rolling the dice.
Quote:
Yes. All it takes is one DA to make a example. You better have Saul on speed dial. Go ahead and use one. It is only a grey area.
From the article cited:
Quote:
Airgun silencers
by Tom Gaylord
exclusively for PyramydAir.com. © Copyright 2006 All Rights Reserved
The prisons are overflowing from the past +12 years of successful prosecutions.