Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance Calgunners Helping Calgunners

Old 11-14-2018, 4:34 AM

Default Delete

Delete

Last edited by Yemff; 11-22-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 4:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

fire rated safes don't save anything in intense house fire. Sorry for their loss. Don't they have insurance?

Last edited by edgerly779; 11-14-2018 at 4:53 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 8:44 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemff View Post
... I don't imagine an insurance claim for a house happens very quick.
Depends on the policy and the company; in many cases, on-site damage assessment can lead to payouts in a couple of days.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-14-2018, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
fire rated safes don't save anything in intense house fire. Sorry for their loss. Don't they have insurance?
FUD

It depends on the fire rating of the safe.
Placement of the safe in the home greatly affects the degree of fire protection too.
On the local news they showed a local Agoura family retrieving the contents of their small safe (looked like a 2'x2' cube) from their burned down house.
The fire department bashed it open for them with sledge hammers, even the sons graduation plaque was fine.
Old 11-14-2018, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
FUD

It depends on the fire rating of the safe.
Placement of the safe in the home greatly affects the degree of fire protection too.
On the local news they showed a local Agoura family retrieving the contents of their small safe (looked like a 2'x2' cube) from their burned down house.
The fire department bashed it open for them with sledge hammers, even the sons graduation plaque was fine.
One of the members on this forum (Spade I think) showed pictures of his gun safe contents after another fire earlier this year, nothing survived. I believe they were stored in sea containers on his property. Looked like the fire came through the floor. I was told the best location for these "fire proof" safes is along an exterior wall. Supposedly they would be exposed to less heat as the wall burns away fast.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
One of the members on this forum (Spade I think) showed pictures of his gun safe contents after another fire earlier this year, nothing survived. I believe they were stored in sea containers on his property. Looked like the fire came through the floor. I was told the best location for these "fire proof" safes is along an exterior wall. Supposedly they would be exposed to less heat as the wall burns away fast.
Concrete floor against block wall is optimal.
Yes, mine is inside the house but against an exterior wall, on tile floor on slab.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Underwriter's Laboratories really does test a safe before giving them their approval and a fire rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5Y4gWWhLE
Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Additionally, some plans cover "loss of use".
Old 11-14-2018, 3:09 PM

Ten tips for homeowners facing fire or smoke damage. Good luck.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ter-29640.html

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 11-14-2018, 5:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Underwriter's Laboratories really does test a safe before giving them their approval and a fire rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5Y4gWWhLE

Dang! That was quite impressive. I wonder what kind of temps are typical in a wildfire like the ones we’re experiencing now.
M&P 15 (Mine)