Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Want to Dispel FUD

I am reading on a couple different forums about people in other states deleting all emissions on their diesel trucks. Lots of fear of being stopped at the California border and having their trucks inspected for emissions equipment compliance. I have been across I5, 40, 15 and 10 several times in the last couple years and have seen no sign of this. My understanding is it's not a just a California thing but a federal clean air act deal for emissions.
Is there any truth to this and which agency would camp at the border to check out of state vehicles for compliance?

It sounds like the FUD about CHP stopping vehicles just to search for ammo being brought in from out of state to me.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Small diesel trucks now get smog checked just like a car (visual and OBD scan read) annually as part of the vehicle registration. The techs are pretty savvy to detect missing or non CARB approved equipment.
Commercial vehicles (non pickups) as they go through the scales are subject to vehicle inspection (they can look at smog requirements).
In 20 years of owning a diesel truck in CA, I have never been stopped or checked in a pickup in CA. 3 years ago, my last cross country in my pickup towing my 5th wheel, I was flagged into the scales 3 times in 6,000 miles by different states. I was green lighted every time so no idea why they flagged me (CA exempts pickups in the scales, but other states can flag a pickup just like any other commercial vehicle. Once stopped, even "not for hire" can be inspected by DOT).

Last edited by ldsnet; 12-02-2019 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Added for clarity
Old 12-02-2019, 11:04 AM

The only issue we had was some small trees brought back from Oklahoma by a friend at the inspection station, that and they needed to show proof of some equine vaccinations. I can't really see any agency going out of their way to check for smog compliance except DOT and that would probably be in conjunction with some other violation. I have heard that shops or vendors that do deletes are being crushed to the tune of $50,000 penalties and companies that produce tuners for deletes are fading away.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:21 AM

The Air Resources Board are who check for smog compliance. The ARB will set up in the commercial inspection stations but the officers and inspectors that work there do not enforce the smog laws.

The ARB will set up roadside as well but they need an officer there as they (ARB) has no authority to stop a vehicle.

There have been some rouge ARB employees setting up and stopping vehicles on their own.....the last one's that tried that got their butts handed to them over it.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
3 years ago, my last cross country in my pickup towing my 5th wheel, I was flagged into the scales 3 times in 6,000 miles by different states.
Slight diversion: How was that "flagging" accomplished? That is, by what means did some authority indicate you had to enter the scales?
Old 12-02-2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Slight diversion: How was that "flagging" accomplished? That is, by what means did some authority indicate you had to enter the scales?
In other states, In Motion Weigh and transponders are the thing. If they want your attention, a series of camera flashes go off taking your picture and a billboard lights up that says ENTER SCALES. Very obvious it is YOU they want to talk to. In all 3 cases there wasn't another truck within half mile ahead or behind me.
Old 12-02-2019, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you are towing with a flat bed truck or some other configuration the pickup exemption does not apply and you need to stop at the scales and are subject to inspection. I have heard that some CHP offices have been cracking down on people towing RVs for failing to stop at the weigh stations because of this.

Quote:
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED [100 - 681] ( Division 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

A “pickup truck” is a motor truck with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. “Pickup truck” does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a “utility body.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMo View Post
Almost every poll shows Trump losing very badly, yet poeple still believe some conspiracy. The party p[icked the weakest candidate so they have to own that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2a View Post
Anything to protect Cheeto. Even though he just signed basically a gun confiscation order.
YES, TDS IS REAL, ORANGE MAN BAD

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 12-10-2019, 12:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
The only issue we had was some small trees brought back from Oklahoma by a friend at the inspection station, that and they needed to show proof of some equine vaccinations.
Moving horses from one state to another typically requires a vet-signed record of what's called a "Coggins Test". Anyone without one for their horse(s) is an idiot.

Equine vaccination records may also be examined. Not vaccinating your horse is as stupid as not vaccinating your children.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 12-10-2019, 4:42 PM

I've heard a few different things, not sure what is true and what is not. One thing I heard is that online vendors for diesel performance parts are no longer shipping aftermarket parts to CA, I'm assuming exhaust kits and tuners etc. Something else I've heard was there was going to be some strict laws on "gross polluters" where there will be hefty fines for "rollin coal". I've heard cameras may even be utilized. Like I said this has all been word of mouth, but in CA I wouldn't be surprised one bit.
Old 12-10-2019, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of older diesel (Pre 08) owners are currently scrambling to sell them outside California Before 12/31. I'm not sure why but something about being illegal as of 01/01/20. I have been told DMV stopped renewing their registrations into 2020. Don't know how this will effect long hauls licensed out of state but never underestimate California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 12-11-2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Moving horses from one state to another typically requires a vet-signed record of what's called a "Coggins Test". Anyone without one for their horse(s) is an idiot.

Equine vaccination records may also be examined. Not vaccinating your horse is as stupid as not vaccinating your children.
Couldn't remember the name. My wife's trainer requires all the certs whenever she takes a new horse in for training.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Lots of older diesel (Pre 08) owners are currently scrambling to sell them outside California Before 12/31. I'm not sure why but something about being illegal as of 01/01/20. I have been told DMV stopped renewing their registrations into 2020. Don't know how this will effect long hauls licensed out of state but never underestimate California.
I thought that was medium duty trucks and smaller buses but I don't remember where I read that.

Old 12-11-2019, 3:30 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
I thought that was medium duty trucks and smaller buses but I don't remember where I read that.

That's what it looks like - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/mcs/dieselcomp
Quote:
What vehicles must comply with the CARB Truck and Bus Regulation?

Diesel vehicles with a manufacturer gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds must comply with the CARB Truck and Bus Regulation.
and, https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...bus-regulation
Quote:
All CARB regulations on trucks and off-road vehicles, including the Truck and Bus Regulation, continue to be California law. There have been no direct federal law changes to any other rule. The Truck and Bus regulation is necessary to meet federal attainment standards. This regulation requires heavy-duty diesel vehicles that operate in California to reduce toxic air contaminants (TACs) emissions from their exhaust.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-11-2019 at 3:33 PM..
Old 12-13-2019, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2019, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
HEY HEY HEY.... I refuse to get my horse vaccinated pal! If my horse came down with Autism, my wife would be pissed!

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><