Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-21-2019, 9:53 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enegue View Post
Who hurt you dude? I hope you’re okay.
How cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Dignity, Respect, Purpose - Live It!
Old 09-22-2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enegue View Post
Sometimes I feel like I’m repeating myself and think that I’m probably just not explaining this well enough. But I don’t understand where you get the “propaganda they can use” part from. Where is this coming from? I am in the digital industry and have been for a long time. I’m saying that no one at MSNBC cares or looks at these poll “results” because they never created this poll, some random person did. Just like I created that poll I linked. There is no propaganda that this could be used for....ah, never mind, it’s pointless for me to keep trying.
I would be wary of dealing in absolutes. You are saying that because of the existence of more traditional polling techniques (typically conducted over the phone with larger randomizes sample sizes, including more data such as political affiliation age sex religious beliefs location etc. typically included in the report) that there is zero instances of online polls being used in any form of mention in mainstream news. Also, being involved in an industry does make you privy to insider information and additional experience, but may not necessarily mean you are familiar with every single one of the practices of every single one of the businesses operating within it.

In fact, this NYT article starts by stating that online polls are the principal form of opinion gathering today, and that certain ones HAVE garnered enough confidence to be used by journalists, although the article does then go into well-founded reasons why the author believes that online polls should be viewed with skepticism due to issues with accuracy. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/u...liability.html

Finally, even if MSNBC doesn't outright mention the poll, this kind of stuff spreads on social media. When an innumerable number of people spread poll results like wildfire on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, personal blogs, etc., the informal poll results still create a palpable real-world effect.

Seriously, and I think I may have said this before but I will certainly say it again/now. Grassroots is powerful, do not underestimate it. A poll that doesn't get announced in mainstream media can still be used or manipulated in such a way that it exerts a powerful influence on the general public through the use of grassroots movements that spread information or misinformation through social media. You have to view this entire thing multi-dimensionally, not just from a single locked ad-revenue-based perspective. I certainly have seen this poll before I saw it on Calguns making the rounds on Facebook as a form of positive influence for gun rights advocates.

Is this specific poll imprecise due to the way information was gathered, sample size uncontrolled, and unlikely to be used by mainstream media? Why yes, most definitely. But that doesn't mean other click-use online polls will happen to be that way.

Heck, check out this article. Apparently 17 out of 20 Americans favor gun control. Where was the poll taken and how was it taken? No idea, there is absolutely zero mention of the poll taker or polling techniques, simply a recitation of statistics. https://www.usnews.com/news/national...or-gun-control

You never know.

Anyways, I'm out, because I don't really forum at all anymore. Not anything against Calguns or anyone in here, due to some absolutely disgusting behavior from BMW and Porsche and Jeep forum folk I've just grown extremely disillusioned with using forums in general. Y'all have fun in here.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-22-2019 at 8:18 PM..