Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-16-2019, 5:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Garand Tanker

This is more a CA AW legal question but as it involves a C&R gun (depending on one's version of "original configuration) thought I'd post it here.

A post came up on another website stating a folding stock Garand Tanker with pistol grip violates CA AW laws. So far as I know, and according to the flow chart, so long as the rifle makes +30" OAL with the stock folded it doesn't violate the CA AW laws. The Garand doesn't use a detachable magazine, according to CA law, and as such can have "evil features" which would include a folding stock and pistol grip, also a flashider too.

Correct? If not, has the Garand always been covered by the CA AW laws or just the latest "bullet button" revision?
Old 09-16-2019, 6:00 PM

While the Garand uses a clip-not a magazine, the Garand does accept a "detachable ammunition feeding device. " If you follow the AW flow chart on the index page here with that terminology substitution, with a folding stock it looks looks like the tanker is a no go.

JMHO based on terminology and the chart. Hoping I'm wrong, but....
Old 09-16-2019, 6:37 PM

Overall length is the only issue. It being around 28” long it is illegal. Besides that there is nothing you can do to make it an AW
Old 09-16-2019, 6:39 PM

The mini g with the Beretta bm59 folding stock is an awesome gun.
Old 09-17-2019, 2:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
While the Garand uses a clip-not a magazine, the Garand does accept a "detachable ammunition feeding device. " If you follow the AW flow chart on the index page here with that terminology substitution, with a folding stock it looks looks like the tanker is a no go.

JMHO based on terminology and the chart. Hoping I'm wrong, but....
That was my concern also - is a clip a detachable feeding device.

I read the chart. Now I know why so many folks ask questions about "muzzle breaks"
Old 09-18-2019, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Seems to me the clip is an ammunition holding device. The ammunition feeding device is always in the rifle and is not detachable, it is pressed down by the ammo in the ammo holding device when loading the rifle.
Old 09-18-2019, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

A "Tanker" Garand in a BM59 folding stock is about 28 1/2" in length with the stock folded, which puts it under the legal limit. Adding a muzzle device to make it meet the minimum is now a No Go under the new laws, which require that the muzzle device be permanently attached. If one does that, one cannot take anything apart for cleaning or repair.
One can argue over the semantics of a detachable ammo feeding device, but since it only holds 8 ads, and cannot be modified to hold more than that, would seem to make the point moot.
A modified T-37 Garand flash suppressor works well to reduce the short barrel fireball.

From page 80 of the DOJ's Assault Weapons Guide(emphasis added)
Magazine, fixed - A magazine which remains affixed to the firearm during loading. Frequently a fixed magazine is charged (loaded) from a clip (en bloc or stripper) of cartridges inserted through the open breech into the magazine.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/awguide.pdf?

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 09-18-2019 at 7:26 AM..
Old 09-18-2019, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Seems to me the clip is an ammunition holding device. The ammunition feeding device is always in the rifle and is not detachable, it is pressed down by the ammo in the ammo holding device when loading the rifle.
That makes sense to me, but semantics are always up to CADOJ interpretation.