Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-15-2019, 9:11 AM

Default eBay going after "objects that could be made into assault weapons".

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but admins please move or remove at your discretion.

I came across this on the eBay community pages:

---

From [Name Withheld] Company

We feel this information should be distributed widly in the film and firearms industry (and possibility general) regarding eBay's policies on what they call "assault weapons".

Background: We mainly sell certified and licensed collectables from US and international film and entertainment contracts with signed maker release authorization certificates. We have been working in the industry for over 50 years.

ALL (not some or few) of these items were props, mainly wardrobe, decorations, and jewelry. Anything that resembles a heavy object is made of light material, such as a prop mace is constructed of light foam or PVC material. Anything resembling a sharp edge object is actually a dull PVC or other plastic / rubber composite.

Our eBay account was recently suspended after eBay removed many of our items citing various "policy violations" further elaborating that they could be used to assault people or "assault weapons".

We had one of our officers (a multi agency law enforcement agency with firearms certification and training) contact eBay to get a more official enquiry as to the reasons behind this:

An eBay representative (name withheld, herein referred to as eBay rep) stated that the reason for removing the items is that they could be used and modified to "assault someone", clarification to "assault weapon".

When asked what their definition was regarding "assault weapon", it seemed to differ to that of common law (e.g. California or Federal assault weapon ban laws), the eBay rep explains that their policy definition of "assault weapon" is anything that could be "modified" to "attach to" a legal firearm or knife.

Our officer explained that our items were props and specifically could NOT be attached to any known weapon, tool, knife, or firearms design to "make it harm others" more.

eBay rep answered "that was the reason why [items] were banned and removed".

Officer asked eBay rep if eBay rep understood what "could NOT" means.

eBay rep further elaborated that items you can get anywhere as raw material that could be used to build a weapon are banned on eBay (for safety reasons).

Officer pointed out that virtually any object eBay's customers baught could be modified and used to "assault" someone, then questioned if that applies to vrtually everything.

eBay rep answered "yes".

Officer questioned why some items are still visible and listed on eBay's web site.

eBay rep explained that when they are reported they will be removed.

Officer then questioned that, if eBay's policies were against items that could be used to "assault" someone, why did eBay have specific categories for "Military Knives" and "Hunting Rifles".

eBay explained that anyone who lists anything there will have their items "removed and account suspended".

Futher, officer questioned the rep towards their buyer base as to why they would have a such a high risk for creating "assault weapons" to assault people? mainly as to if their buyer base is comprised mostly of "criminals".

eBay rep answered "yes".

Conclusions, so apparently it appears eBay is pretty much going after any and every seller at this point for any object that could be used or modified to be used to "assault" someone.

This seems rather broad-reaching and if anyone reported everyone's listings, in theory and perfect policy enforcement, all virtually all non vritual items would be removed.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Really they are just banning anything that "looks scary" and using all that BS as their excuse for doing so.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:43 AM

What's eBay? A boutique for snowflakes?

Get woke, go broke. Good bye eBay, you always sucked.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM

They allow bayonets and swords. WT Actual F?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:52 AM

I recently sold an M4 US bayonet and eBay told me assault weapons could not be sold. Their computer algorithm must've hit on M4 and thought it was an AR M4. I changed it to " M four". Really dumb.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Last I saw, there were plenty of Glock slides, barrels, mags, upper and lower parts. So has that changed?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 PM

This is why the only sellers left on Ebay are chinese. They have been doing stuff like this for ever and ruined what was a pretty good idea.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 PM

They’re still allowing the sale of knives. ��
Old 09-15-2019, 2:10 PM

I am already boycotting WalMart, looking like Ebay may be the next domino to fall for me.

Cheers,
W-W

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 09-15-2019, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

"fleabay"

I'll take, "Screw up a free cup of coffee" for a thousand, Alex!
Old 09-15-2019, 2:58 PM

Ebay is still a thing?
Old 09-15-2019, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVlongstroke View Post
Ebay is still a thing?

Not since 2001, IIRC.
Old 09-15-2019, 4:26 PM

Sounds like that multiagency officer was arguing with a bot.
Old 09-15-2019, 4:44 PM

Eventually it will be just PEZ dispensors ... again.
Old 09-15-2019, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I will complain about every baseball bat I see on ebay - talk about the perfect assault weapon. Some come in TSA defeating undetectable wood and others in aluminum the same material used in AR15s
Old 09-15-2019, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

5000+ listings for machetes, but fake foam weapons are not OK? Insane...

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 09-15-2019, 6:28 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Should start reporting anything and everything that looks sharp or pointy, see if ebay will put their money where their mouth is. My guess is no.

Old 09-15-2019, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Did the "Officer" realize they were talking to a mindless processor in the Philippines following a flow-chart of pre-programmed ways to verbally reply?

She had no knowledge of the item or why it was removed, she was just told how to reply based on SOMETHING having been removed, and the assumption is that it was warranted to be removed. Most are so narrow-minded, they cannot even describe the item you are calling as their world is very minimal in awareness to the diversity of what we have available to us, to the point that they would not be able to tell you the difference between a Nerf gun, Air-Soft gun, Prop gun, Staple gun, Glue-gun, BB gun, or anything else with the word gun in it - all they hear is the word "gun" and it doesn't jibe with whomever flagged it for removal.

They give more credibility to the anonymous bilge refuse in the world that incorrectly flag stuff than to the actual seller calling in.

They know that sometimes competitors, spiteful buyers, and disgruntled ex-employees will seek to get a specific seller's items removed by fraudulently flagging items. But usually the first Ebay service person to answer is geared to just stick to the the script and not allow them to investigate or make amends in a weird plan to save time.

You have to go through about 3 or 4 of them (at least) to get one that applies logic and common sense. The more "American" they sound when you speak with them, the more likely you will arrive at better results.

"Let's me get that one for you."

"Let me look up that one."

"I will help you with that one."

"Let me see that one for you."
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 09-15-2019 at 6:55 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 6:44 PM

There goes all the SKS parts.
Old 09-15-2019, 6:44 PM

Nothing new. My account has been suspended multiple times in the last 8 years. They don’t truly do anything until some one reports your stuff. The worst incident I had was selling my old 80% jigs. I actually received a phone call on that one. They threatened bringing the law enforcement into it and I said please do. It was left at that and a few days later I was back up and going.
Old 09-15-2019, 8:40 PM

Turquoise or other Gem rocks should qualify.....diamonds are HARD.
What about nails on strips for nail guns?
Some SNOW WHITE FLAKE ratted you out.

You'll need to jump through a few more hoops and get to a logical person (good luck with that)
These MAMAboys wet themselves easily.

Last edited by RTE; 09-15-2019 at 8:47 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 9:21 PM

What a shame. Got a lot of good stuff cheap on eBay (vertical grips, stock parts etc...). F'N losers have to mess it up for everybody.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

A shovel can be made into a so called "assault weapon." There's a video showing someone doing just that.

Are they going to ban shovels on eBay?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
A shovel can be made into a so called "assault weapon." There's a video showing someone doing just that.

Exactly, and I bet that’s even more work than as I said before, buying a cheap @$$ 3D printer and making zip guns, AR receivers, pistol grips, bump stocks, etc. They sell mills, routers, drill presses all of which can be used to make firearms. Hell, I’ve seen pictures of some guy online that made an AR receiver out of pieces of plate he routed out then screwed together.

These political stunts these companies pull just leave a sour taste in my mouth and I don’t want to do business with them anymore.
Old 09-16-2019, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
There goes all the SKS parts.

Not to mention pet (ASSAULT) rocks!
Old 09-16-2019, 9:47 PM

The idiot rep started making things up once he/she couldn't give an honest answer. The seller/officer should have escalated the case and have the numb nut tier 1 rep transfer him to someone who isn't reading a script.

OP, do you have a link to the thread on ebay community? Would love to read the replies and maybe additional details added.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post

Test it, report some shovels and send a link to the video and see what happens..

ETA: I reported a shovel from China..there's no free form text box so we'll see what happens.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Last edited by ugimports; 09-17-2019 at 6:41 AM..
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
Eventually it will be just PEZ dispensors ... again.
No - they got banned. Someone told them they could double as magazines for assault weapons...
Old 09-17-2019, 9:07 AM

Ebay went on the banning rampage after that LA Times article came out with that expose on people selling "assault weapon" parts on ebay. Ebay got embarrassed, and have now went over the top banning stuff.

Amazon has even stricter rules, and that's why ebay has "been a thing" the past couple of years. You could still get a lot of parts and accessories that are not available on Amazon.

Ebay now bans anything that will fit on what they consider an assault weapons. That means vertical grips, hand guards, pistol grips, single point slings, red dot riser mounts, stocks, flash hiders, etc.

All of those things I mentioned above have been removed from my friend's ebay accounts for being assault weapons parts.

The best one recently was a pistol grip made to attach to a Mosin Nagant 91/30. My friend called ebay and argued until he was blue in the face that the 91/30 is not an assault weapon, but to no avail. Ebay suspended his account for 30 days.

There is a war on guns going on, gentlemen. Its not being fought just in the courtroom, but in all areas of daily life. The Left is determined to cut off our ability to have anything to do with guns at all, and ebay and amazon are just a sign of things to come. Its only going to get worse, especially with the younger generations coming up willing to trade their rights away for some feel good ideas.
Old 09-17-2019, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

It is a war on the 2nd amendment and all things related. Shame on Ebay and Wall Mart for yielding under the political correctness of doing business with the left wing and mindless middle grounders who are ignorant to the truth...

Shame on the sheeple.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

No more cutting boards and shovels, I guess.

Old 09-22-2019, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yep, the other day I was looking for a stock set and noticed they were barren. Could have swore I’ve bought one from there before...
"When once our feet have touched this soil, when once we have made this land our home, wherever our place of birth, whatever our race, we are all blended in one common country. All artificial distinctions of lineage and rank are cast aside. We all rejoice in the title of Americans."
-Former President Calvin Coolidge