Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Glock & P80 Experts, Need Some Troubleshooting Help...

This is in regards to Polymer80 PF940C Builds that are giving me some trouble now that they are completed.

I took four p80 pistols to the range today. Two performed flawlessly. So yay!

But two didn't do so great. So...crap!

PROBLEM GUN 1:

One had a lot of light strikes. So my thinking there is just to swap out the firing pin and spring and see what happens. The strike was dead center horizontally on the primer, but a little low as well. Specs: Grey Ghost G19 V2 Slide and a Zev 9mm Slide Completion Parts Kit.

PROBLEM GUN 2:

The one that I need help troubleshooting is a little more complicated. The slide is locking up. It moves free and super smooth, until you fire it...then it seizes. I think the issue is in the rear of the gun where the trigger housing resides. But of course I cannot be sure.

On this one, there was an issue early on with the slide release causing the slide to hang up. I removed a ton of material on the frame and replaced the spring to prevent that. So I doubt the issue there. Plus I think I would feel it hanging up all the time if that were where the issue resided. Where are there are a lot of moving parts in the rear trigger housing that could cause the issue.

Other than replacing the entire rear trigger housing and the trigger...I am not sure what I can do to trouble shoot this?

Specs: Zev SOCOM 19 that came assembled from Zev. And a MidwayUSA Glock OEM 9mm lower parts kit.

I am hoping you have some advice on how to troubleshoot and fix this?

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-04-2019 at 1:57 PM..
Old 09-04-2019, 6:33 PM

Your in the right track for gun 1. But gun 2 just curious, I had a similar issue, I cleaned it and field striper it etc. I was kinda in a rush and installed the slide stop wrong without even thinking about it. Verify the wire/spring is under the pin. When I went to shoot it had similar issue. Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2019, 6:59 PM

I had a similar issue as you on gun 2. Check that the slide lock spring is seated all the way down. Mine had a little piece of polymer fall in the hole and it didn't sit far down enough to be flush, so it was snagging on the recoil spring. Took me forever to figure it out. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2019, 9:09 PM

For #1, get a flashlight and make sure the striker insert is installed properly, seated all the way forward and not marred. Additionally, pull out the extractor and make sure that the striker safety moves completely free and isn't getting stuck anywhere in the stroke. Pull out the extractor so that if it does get stuck you're able to manipulate it out from the backside.

For #2, how siezed? Do you have an armorers block so you can see how things are impinging on one another?

What happens if you pull it all the way (All the way, bottom out the main spring!) back and then lift it up, or pull it all the way back and push it down?

Have you looked to see if there is any marring in the slide rail cuts? If its sticking when the slide is all the way back, the marring would be pretty close to the center around where the breech face is.
Old 09-17-2019, 8:34 PM

P80 guns can have a lot of issues. Of the 3 Iíve fired, 2 had issues with locking blocks, rails, frame alignment or both.
Old 09-17-2019, 8:37 PM

Also check to make sure the slide lock lever spring seats all the way into the frame. Thatís another big issue.
Old 09-17-2019, 8:39 PM

Call P80. Theyíll reluctantly replace the bad frames after telling you that they havenít heard of those issues regularly. I had a bent frame and twisted rails that I tried decking to no avail.
Old 09-17-2019, 9:50 PM

Didn't have any problem with my SS80 builds. Sorry for the bad luck OP.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 PM

As for the light strike....change out the entire slide assembly to a stock glock one. Most likely the zev component are causing the light strikes.

As for the other issue, check to make sure your slide lever spring is sitting flush. In glocks, they need a solid push sometimes and they can sit above flush and cause issues with the recoil spring catching...

It's also possible you haven't bored out the recoil spring area enough and there is some catching on that as well.

Try that...should be fine...
Old 09-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Problem 2: the trigger housing should be tight in the frame and the ejector parallel to the rails. I had to shim one of my trigger housings (used a section of credit card glued into the frame) to get the trigger housing to be tight and level.

Old 09-18-2019, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Gun #1, Are you sure that the gun is in full battery. I built 2 and had problems like those that I took care with a sharpie and rail work. Lots of time to file the rails here and there and then polish.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 10-09-2019, 6:18 PM

I just answered this same problem in another thread
Old 10-09-2019, 8:18 PM

I'm in Yorba Linda. You want I could loan you my rear press and a front sight tool for a couple days. Send PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 7:08 PM

I found a local old school guy at Guns of Distinction in Palm Desert and he threw my truglo night sights on with a plastic punch even though they are metal sights. He got them super centered and I'll check them with my micrometer one day when im really bored. He used lock tight and he knew exactly how hard to hit it with the punches. I couldn't have done it better with sight press tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutpile66 View Post
I'm in Yorba Linda. You want I could loan you my rear press and a front sight tool for a couple days. Send PM.