Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 05-07-2019, 9:57 AM

Default EDC Knife/Multi Tool Functions Recommendation?

I've carried a Swiss Army Spartan (https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...artan/p/1.3603) for 10 years in my pocket every day. A couple months ago at a wedding it must have come out of my pocket (slick suit pants with shallow pockets) which was a huge bummer.

I was going to buy another of the same without thinking but in the interim started carrying a Gerber Vise (https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Too...Tool_31-000021) I'd gotten for free from a vendor that's been sitting in my desk. Now that's been growing on me but the quality isn't as good IMO. In 10 years all I did was sharpen my Swiss Army and I abused it with no issues. In the first month I've already snapped off one screwdriver attachment and twisted another on the Gerber. Also, some features are impossible to open with a fingernail even after lube, etc.

Overall, I have tons of single blade knives that I never use. I also think the Spartan isn't the perfect one for me (I don't drink wine, don't need 2 blades). I use the other weird tools as much as the blade (blade probably daily, but everything else once a week). I like walking past a broken sprinkler and being able to pull out my knife and tweak it, pull it out while on the roof without having to go back down the ladder for a tool I forgot, saving a party by being the only one with a bottle opener, etc.

I'm trying to see what I need and what I don't and then find a knife that has all those. I was hoping for suggestions on what functions you guys use or what multitool/knives you recommend! I have a basic list below but let me know what I missed.

- Must be small to fit in a pocket with a bunch of change, keys, etc
- Must have at least a single blade, I don't care about serrated, prefer unserrated
- Must have a bottle opener
- Must have a couple basic screw driver functions

- I used the Swiss Army tweezers all the time (metal splinters from the machine shop)
- I'm really liking small pliers with both clamping but wire cutting too

- Does not need second blade (but don't mind it)
- Does not need can opener
Old 05-11-2019, 10:39 AM

I would go to eBay and get a discontinued Leatherman Kick. I've had mine for over 15 years of (civilian) use. It was an EDC item. I love it, and it seems to fit all your requirements. To be perfectly transparent, the blade end finally snapped off about 1/8" inch off the tip because I stupidly tried to pry something. So, I got on eBay and bought a drop-in replacement blade. 15 minutes later and I'm back in business.

I have a Gerber Diesel now for rough stuff, but that little Leatherman Kick is one I'll never get rid of.
Old 06-04-2019, 8:48 AM

I'm a firm believer in the Leatherman pst. No long made, but still available on ebay.
Old 06-07-2019, 2:25 PM

My Leatherman wave is always either on my belt or in my truck. I feel it is the sweet spot in the lineup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknaus View Post
I've carried a Swiss Army Spartan (https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...artan/p/1.3603) for 10 years in my pocket every day. A couple months ago at a wedding it must have come out of my pocket (slick suit pants with shallow pockets) which was a huge bummer.

I was going to buy another of the same without thinking but in the interim started carrying a Gerber Vise (https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Too...Tool_31-000021) I'd gotten for free from a vendor that's been sitting in my desk. Now that's been growing on me but the quality isn't as good IMO. In 10 years all I did was sharpen my Swiss Army and I abused it with no issues. In the first month I've already snapped off one screwdriver attachment and twisted another on the Gerber. Also, some features are impossible to open with a fingernail even after lube, etc.

Overall, I have tons of single blade knives that I never use. I also think the Spartan isn't the perfect one for me (I don't drink wine, don't need 2 blades). I use the other weird tools as much as the blade (blade probably daily, but everything else once a week). I like walking past a broken sprinkler and being able to pull out my knife and tweak it, pull it out while on the roof without having to go back down the ladder for a tool I forgot, saving a party by being the only one with a bottle opener, etc.

I'm trying to see what I need and what I don't and then find a knife that has all those. I was hoping for suggestions on what functions you guys use or what multitool/knives you recommend! I have a basic list below but let me know what I missed.

- Must be small to fit in a pocket with a bunch of change, keys, etc
- Must have at least a single blade, I don't care about serrated, prefer unserrated
- Must have a bottle opener
- Must have a couple basic screw driver functions

- I used the Swiss Army tweezers all the time (metal splinters from the machine shop)
- I'm really liking small pliers with both clamping but wire cutting too

- Does not need second blade (but don't mind it)
- Does not need can opener
If I ever found a leatherman skeletool carbon fiber on sale, Iíd buy it. Carried the metal version for years and loved it. Just a little heavy for the pocket. Carbon solves that.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
If I ever found a leatherman skeletool carbon fiber on sale, Iíd buy it. Carried the metal version for years and loved it. Just a little heavy for the pocket. Carbon solves that.
Mine broke a month after getting it!!! Rubbish.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Mine broke a month after getting it!!! Rubbish.
Well dang! There goes a hunting expedition.

What broke? My stainless skeletool keeps rockin with daily use.