Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 AM
gatling gatling is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 69
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default No Refunds

An interesting outcome at a local range...

http://exhaustnotes.us/blog/index.ph...28/no-refunds/
__________________
Gatling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2019, 7:16 AM
afteractionreport's Avatar
afteractionreport afteractionreport is offline
CGSSA Leader
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,653
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Burro canyon?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2019, 9:38 PM
retired retired is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,700
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afteractionreport View Post
Burro canyon?
No, it's the Lytle Creek Firing Line. In 2009, 2010 and 2011, I organized shooting events there for Calguns members and their families. They reserved 20 lanes for us and we had over 100 people. mrlonewolf was even out there with his BBQ, cooking up some good food. Lytle Creek made some decent money off of us.

The only ones that took place were in 2009 & 2010. As the 2011, April date was coming up, we began getting posts from members who had gone shooting there. Seems the le Ranger from the local station had been telling people who had standard capacity mags of any kind they had to leave as those couldn't be shot there. Even tho the thread was edited to show that, it was decided to cancel the event since we had no way of knowing if everyone would have read it. We didn't want anyone to show up and be told to leave.

There was a lot of back and forth as to whether it was The Firing Line's order or that it came from the Forest Service LE Ranger. I got the truth from a Board Member that I knew and it did not come from the Firing Line. That was the start of it going downhill as far as I'm concerned. I'd been going there with my son and nephew for 10yrs. I haven't been there since the 2011 event and we have never had another official Calguns event there because of mag issue and runaround I got (I took it up to the head LE Ranger for the Forest Service in Ca.

Eventually over time, we had members posting the Ranger was confiscating any standard capacity mags and SBSD were up there also checking for them. I have no idea how things are at the present.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2019, 1:51 PM
socalnonsage's Avatar
socalnonsage socalnonsage is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: OC, SoCal
Posts: 577
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
As the 2011, April date was coming up, we began getting posts from members who had gone shooting there. Seems the le Ranger from the local station had been telling people who had standard capacity mags of any kind they had to leave as those couldn't be shot there.

There was a lot of back and forth as to whether it was The Firing Line's order or that it came from the Forest Service LE Ranger. I got the truth from a Board Member that I knew and it did not come from the Firing Line.
Here's a story for you - take it as you will but this shed some light for me on the "situation" at Lytle Creek.

Back in 2011, I was at Lytle Creek on a Saturday with my son and a buddy doing some shooting through my surplus rifles.

A couple of other guys pull up to the line in an older somewhat beat-up truck and pull out several AR's and an AK variant. I notice after they start shooting that the three rifles had standard capacity mags.

Not 10 minutes later, the local ranger pulls up, right to these guy's truck, essentially blocking them in. The ranger gets out and the range-master quickly waddles over to him and talks to him for about 5 minutes, near the ranger's truck but back behind the firing line. Now keep in mind, this was happening during life fire so the range wasn't being manned by a rangemaster during the time he was talking to the ranger.

They (the ranger and the rangemaster) then both make a B-line to the two gents with the ARs/AK and start talking to them about the mags. All three rifles that were out of the truck were registered BBAWs and the owner produced paperwork showing such. The ranger then searched the rest of the truck producing two more rifles (not AWs) but then gave up searching after a couple minutes and then left (without confiscating anything but after speaking with the two gents for another 10 or so minutes).

The two gents then packed up and left without firing another shot.

My suspicion is that Lytle Creek staff called the ranger out to investigate the BBAWs and standard capacity magazines.
__________________
______________________________________

Would background checks, fees, taxes, and long waiting periods be considered "infringements" if they were applied to the right to vote or the right to free speech?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2019, 7:52 PM
ef9boy88 ef9boy88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 649
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnonsage View Post
Here's a story for you - take it as you will but this shed some light for me on the "situation" at Lytle Creek.

Back in 2011, I was at Lytle Creek on a Saturday with my son and a buddy doing some shooting through my surplus rifles.

A couple of other guys pull up to the line in an older somewhat beat-up truck and pull out several AR's and an AK variant. I notice after they start shooting that the three rifles had standard capacity mags.

Not 10 minutes later, the local ranger pulls up, right to these guy's truck, essentially blocking them in. The ranger gets out and the range-master quickly waddles over to him and talks to him for about 5 minutes, near the ranger's truck but back behind the firing line. Now keep in mind, this was happening during life fire so the range wasn't being manned by a rangemaster during the time he was talking to the ranger.

They (the ranger and the rangemaster) then both make a B-line to the two gents with the ARs/AK and start talking to them about the mags. All three rifles that were out of the truck were registered BBAWs and the owner produced paperwork showing such. The ranger then searched the rest of the truck producing two more rifles (not AWs) but then gave up searching after a couple minutes and then left (without confiscating anything but after speaking with the two gents for another 10 or so minutes).

The two gents then packed up and left without firing another shot.

My suspicion is that Lytle Creek staff called the ranger out to investigate the BBAWs and standard capacity magazines.
This story doesn't track, as BBAW was not a thing in 2011
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2019, 7:59 PM
ef9boy88 ef9boy88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 649
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

I haven't been to that range since new years eve just before the new AW ban hit. If I can't cross the river to West End I make a trip to the indoor or I don't shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:58 PM
desertrider's Avatar
desertrider desertrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,306
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnonsage View Post
Here's a story for you *** snip ***

They (the ranger and the rangemaster) then both make a B-line to the two gents with the ARs/AK and start talking to them about the mags. All three rifles that were out of the truck were registered BBAWs and the owner produced paperwork showing such. The ranger then searched the rest of the truck producing two more rifles (not AWs) but then gave up searching after a couple minutes and then left (without confiscating anything but after speaking with the two gents for another 10 or so minutes).

*** snip ***
Quote:
Originally Posted by ef9boy88 View Post
This story doesn't track, as BBAW was not a thing in 2011
I bet socalnonsage meant to write RAW's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:17 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.