Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 9:08 PM

Default Long distance shooting in the Arnold/Dorrington area

Hey Guys,

I normally head down south a bit to Panoche Hills, where we regularly shoot 650 - 1000 yards.

Recently, one of my shooting buddy's got a place up in Arnold, and we were thinking about heading up this weekend for a little outdoors fun. My buddy knows of a few spots near by his place where we can shoot some pistols and shotguns, but I'm looking to take out the 6.5 creedmoor and stretch out a bit, and another friend who will be joining us for the first time has a nice .308 that he's never fired past 100 yards.

I've done some research on le googs and on here, and I've seen mention of the old quarry, and candy rock quarry. what I've been reading is mixed reviews that the candy rock quarry may or may not have been shut down to target shooting. I also am not totally positive if these are the same quarry, or different locations.

Does anyone know for certain if these are in fact different/the same location, if one or both are open/closed to shooting, and if there is opportunity to shoot out past 600 yards at either location.

Also wondering if anyone has any other locations around the area where we could stretch out a bit. it would be a huge help.

We will be bringing out some steel plates and hangers to shoot at, no paper or clay, no garbage or waste. We collect our own brass for reloading, and bring several rakes and garbage bags, not only to clean up after ourselves, but we usually carry out at least an additional bag or 2 of garbage/debris.

Also not at all opposed to heading out with anyone who can help us find a decent spot to stretch out a bit, and would be more than happy to share our steel.
Old 12-20-2017, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Candy Rock is maybe 200 yds. at best. I didn't go there at all this year, so I don't know if it it closed.

You can shoot quite a bit further at the Camp 9 quarry. If you set up your steel at the far side of the quarry and shoot from the top of the first cut above where the mill was, it is about 800 yds. Bring a 4wd or atv to get to the far side of the quarry, otherwise you have to walk a long way around to get to the far side.

At the shooting spot at the end of French Flat Rd west of Jamestown you might be able to shoot out to 300 yds.

There may be other places I don't know about, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. I rarely check the 209 sub forum anymore because it is friggin' deadsville, and nobody ever seems to want to meet up with other Cal Gunners.
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

http://www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/
Old 01-01-2018, 6:57 AM

Default .?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradooo View Post
Hey Guys,

I normally head down south a bit to Panoche Hills, where we regularly shoot 650 - 1000 yards.

Recently, one of my shooting buddy's got a place up in Arnold, and we were thinking about heading up this weekend for a little outdoors fun. My buddy knows of a few spots near by his place where we can shoot some pistols and shotguns, but I'm looking to take out the 6.5 creedmoor and stretch out a bit, and another friend who will be joining us for the first time has a nice .308 that he's never fired past 100 yards.

I've done some research on le googs and on here, and I've seen mention of the old quarry, and candy rock quarry. what I've been reading is mixed reviews that the candy rock quarry may or may not have been shut down to target shooting. I also am not totally positive if these are the same quarry, or different locations.

Does anyone know for certain if these are in fact different/the same location, if one or both are open/closed to shooting, and if there is opportunity to shoot out past 600 yards at either location.

Also wondering if anyone has any other locations around the area where we could stretch out a bit. it would be a huge help.

We will be bringing out some steel plates and hangers to shoot at, no paper or clay, no garbage or waste. We collect our own brass for reloading, and bring several rakes and garbage bags, not only to clean up after ourselves, but we usually carry out at least an additional bag or 2 of garbage/debris.

Also not at all opposed to heading out with anyone who can help us find a decent spot to stretch out a bit, and would be more than happy to share our steel.
Did you find a place to shoot? Iím thinking of trying that quarry in the spring.

IAN FLEMING
Old 01-01-2018, 7:43 AM
Banned

I live in Arnold.
So Candy rock is ok but its not even close to that distance. Not even mentioning that its most likely closed this time of year by forest service.

I would suggest camp 9 in Murphys. Its at least 500 in spots but the place will have a ton of people there.

As a long range shooter I feel your pain, but this area is 4000 ft and up elevation so Id rather travel to shoot out to 1000 than to not have all our trees!