Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Default Moved to South San Jose. What fire arm store do you give business to in your area?

I'm looking for a new shop to frequent for firearm sales, transfers, ammo etc. However, I'm new to the area and I'm not sure what places are worthwhile to visit and give business to. Bass Pro has a wide selection but they are usually crowded and I'm looking for a local shop that's a bit more intimate and personable with customers than a chair store. What are your recommendations?
Old 11-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Metal dog tactical, mparms, sc guns, red skull tactical, rmb enterprises are ones i like
Old 11-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

metal dog, good peeps, SC Arms is good peeps too, certainly not Reeds, they are awful
Old 11-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Any one not name the Gun Exchange. Although I hear they are under new management. So...
Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 PM

You guys are quick. Lol so a couple votes for Metal Dog; I'll go there first. I'll definitely check out the other ones too in the coming weeks. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Reeds for sure, Castellos for DARN sure. And if you don't like Reeds selection or prices. they are the best range in town and good people.
Old 11-12-2016, 1:04 PM

I have gone to Lokey and they are great. As to Gun Exchange I think they are still in the process of changing FFLs. Reeds is ok, but they have high prices.
Old 11-12-2016, 1:13 PM

Anywhere but Reed's
Old 11-12-2016, 4:33 PM

Reeds sucks, don't use them. they will not do a PPT till you are the only person in the store.
I prefer farwest ffl. He has the cheapest fees around and best personality.
Old 11-12-2016, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

I like Reeds a lot! They're a great group of people, and very knowledgeable and helpful. I've purchased a few guns there and used their range many times. I've done a PPT there too no issues. I thought their prices were quite fair.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-12-2016, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therazgriz View Post
Reeds sucks, don't use them. they will not do a PPT till you are the only person in the store.
I prefer farwest ffl. He has the cheapest fees around and best personality.

And charge 100 bucks if you don't pickup on day 10 or 11, you essentially get a 24 hour pickup window, or else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 4:39 PM

I've done a PPT at Sportsman's Supply in San Jose. No problems, and a sufficiently positive experience that I'm going to try to give them some business in the future. Maybe try The Gun Attic just south of downtown San Jose too. They probably have time to do it since their inventory is just flying off the shelves.
Old 11-15-2016, 7:17 AM

Mil Spec Armory on Meridian does a good job. I was at the Gun Exchange and the old man said they don't do PPTs.
Old 11-15-2016, 7:24 AM

Lokey in Morgan Hill and Mil Spec in SJ have both been good. I know Mil Spec does PPT also.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
Mil Spec Armory on Meridian does a good job. I was at the Gun Exchange and the old man said they don't do PPTs.
Because they don't have an FFL. They've been "in process" for almost a decade. It's just not going to happen. Go there for ammo, accessories, etc. Not for guns. Their shop is like a decent gun show booth. There is stuff to buy.

Just not guns.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Because they don't have an FFL. They've been "in process" for almost a decade. It's just not going to happen. Go there for ammo, accessories, etc. Not for guns. Their shop is like a decent gun show booth. There is stuff to buy.

Just not guns.

I believe the old man tried to sell the store a few years ago and the buyer is waiting for approval for the FFL. I bought a rifle, Browning Buckmark and Rem 870 from him a few years ago. It hasn't been a decade but it sure feels like a long time.
Old 11-15-2016, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
I believe the old man tried to sell the store a few years ago and the buyer is waiting for approval for the FFL. I bought a rifle, Browning Buckmark and Rem 870 from him a few years ago. It hasn't been a decade but it sure feels like a long time.
I've been checking regularly since 2009. No FFL. Nearly a decade. If yoyu bought guns from him, my guess is you transacted as a PPT and bought a "personal gun" from him. Or bought pre-2009?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM

I use Reeds almost exclusively. Yeah, some of the prices are a little higher than other shops (less than 1%). But you get really good customer service, and they don't sell garbage guns
Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

About customer service, if you are a live and let live kinda guy, almost every shop in the bay area has great customer service. If you like to argue everything, let nothing slide, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know anyone who works at Reeds who isn't great.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Metal Dog treated me very well. I'll give them more business.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
About customer service, if you are a live and let live kinda guy, almost every shop in the bay area has great customer service. If you like to argue everything, let nothing slide, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know anyone who works at Reeds who isn't great.

They will not get my business again until they stop their 100 storage fee, if your good with that, great

Old 11-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowend65 View Post
I use Reeds almost exclusively. Yeah, some of the prices are a little higher than other shops (less than 1%). But you get really good customer service, and they don't sell garbage guns

Good service, unless your doing PPT

Old 11-17-2016, 3:09 PM

Reeds has been good too. I haven't tried a PPT there.

Target masters sucks for PPT. Wasted 2 hours of my life trying to do a PPT with them. Kept asking us to wait and wait. Then said the guy who can do the transfer is gone for the night. It was 8. They close the gun buying desk at 10. Won't go there again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't use Reeds or TM for PPT, but I avoid TM. I thought I'd bite the bullet and go in for some 22LR. 20 minutes of waiting while getting muzzled by the gal behind the counter handling a rental gun (got all huffy about it too "It's unloaded!") plus 10 minutes to transact <$15 worth of ammunition, leaving to an angry wife in the car (and rightfully so), I will not go back for any reason.

Last time I shot there I was given a lane next to a guy shooting 223. No, you are not allowed to shoot 223 at TM. He was doing it anyways. Meanwhile, they confiscate my 454 and 460 ammo because they also don't allow magnum handgun there.

No, I'll stick with Reeds, for a higher caliber of clientele and staff.
Old 11-17-2016, 5:54 PM

I have used Reed's in the past for FFL transfers, and the service was fine, although the price is too high now. The employees have been polite and helpful, although the store does get busy at times.
Old 11-17-2016, 6:15 PM

My recommendation is to avoid sportsmans supply and Bay Area gun vault.
Old 11-22-2016, 8:25 AM

I like Lokey firearms in Morgan Hill it's 10-15 minutes from Southside San Jose.
Metal Dog Tactical is also a good place to do ppt's or buy ar parts. As others have said i also avoid Target Masters or Reeds if doing a ppt.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Milspec in San Jose is very friendly with good prices.
Old 11-22-2016, 2:11 PM

Two of my favorites so far have been Mil Spec and Metal Dog. Gun exchange was a miss; I had the same experience as some of you regarding their ffl status. Lots of controversy around reeds, I'd like to visit them soon just to have a look-see.

I found a hole in the wall shop called Castellos (?) As soon as I asked for an AR15 upper I was told that they don't deal with "assault weapons." The old man at the counter seemed annoyed I asked.
Old 11-23-2016, 5:44 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I hear about Costello's also.
But I also hear he has a vast knowledge of firearms.
I've got to go sometime if just for the entertainment.
Old 11-23-2016, 7:13 AM

Lazo firearms in Gilroy. 7451 Monterey Rd 408-337-1801

Mike is a good guy to deal with, and has lots to choose from.

Check out the "prescription" counter.

Tell him Tim sent you.
Old 11-23-2016, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Castellos is the best shop in town, bar none, end of story.

If you are going because you want a space gun or a semi auto rifle, you may not agree with me. If you find enormous distinction (bolded because it's key for this sentence) between 5.56 and 223 and love to argue with people about it, it's not your shop. But if you are a good old boy, or get along with good old boys you will not find a better shop.
Old 11-26-2016, 9:19 AM
Defender | Avenger
CGN Contributor

So when did SJ Gun Trader become SC Guns? I knew there was some legal battle and arrests that took pace earlier this year. But never heard the outcome.

As for preferred shops in the south bay, surprised no one mention Kerley's Hunting & Outfitting, Eddy's Shooting Sports or Bay Area Gun Vault.

I will add to the "Will not PPT at reeds and or buy there." Use their range? Absolutely.
Old 11-28-2016, 1:36 PM
CGSSA Leader

I enjoy Kerleys. Casey has always treated me well. Sportsmens Supply has been good for the most part. Reeds is pricey. Never purchased from Metal Dog. The other places I have either never heard of or been too.
Old 11-28-2016, 1:42 PM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

Lokey in Morgan Hill, Lazo in Gilroy, Reeds in SJ (well, it's almost in SJ). Reeds will be on the more expensive side typically, but they have stock that no one else will, and their range is nice. Also check out the Coyote Range if you haven't; county range, nice place, just south of SJ.
Old 11-30-2016, 5:30 PM

As a range, reeds is cool. Most of there staff is cool. Did 1 ppt involving a new firearm and a ppt. 1 guy either didn't know what he was talking about or maybe he was trying to nickel and dime me, but either case I haven't been back since. Still have a free lane from them that I may not even use.

I like shooting at target masters although ppt there is the worst.

Been to red skull, metal dog, mil spec armory, and kerleys all good to me.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 PM

I've bought at Bass Pro, Mil Spec Armory and Reeds. Never done an FFL transfer.

Bass Pro is useful since I shop there a lot and get to use points and rewards.
Mil Spec Armory is most friendly, selection is less but I find myself going back.
Reeds is great to shoot at, purchase experience was painfully slow since they are usually crowded. Guys are nice, I've taken training classes there as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I like Reeds a lot! They're a great group of people, and very knowledgeable and helpful. I've purchased a few guns there and used their range many times. I've done a PPT there too no issues. I thought their prices were quite fair.
Never done transfers there but their prices are good enough, help is knowledgeable, and they've always been friendly.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hunter Supply in Monterey, CA - unless you're a regular, which seems to be very few of since the place is always empty, they take a condescending tone with you. I have done 2 PPT's there, other than that I won't bother with them for anything.

1st PPT was utterly ridiculous really. Long story short, the girl doing the paperwork argued that we wouldn't be able to perform the transfer because she couldn't find the firearm in her system. It was a Savage short action hog hunter in an MDT Tac 21 Chassis. She said she couldn't find SAVAGE MDT TAC

Don't get started on the barrel length and legality. Just because 3-4" pokes out, she said the barrel length didn't meet the minimum requirement...the factory barrel (which it had on) is 20"

2nd PPT went well but only because the person I was doing the trade with is a well known regular there.

To top it off they have a very small selection of firearms....sometimes as many as 20 total?

Lokey Firearms in Morgan Hill, CA - just awesome. Dave and Ryan are 2 guys you want running your favorite FFL. Only issue is they do get busy, but they take care of PPT's just the same as if you're buying one off the shelf. I need to stop by one of these days just because.

Reed's in San Jose, CA - it's kind of hard to describe my feelings here on this one. I bring my brother here at least once a week to shoot so I've become quite the regular here. It's nicely stocked with a good selection of firearms and accessories for when you need something now versus later. They do command a higher price tag so you're better off saving your money by buying online but if you need it, they've got it.

When it comes to service, each and every one of the guys here offers it. If they don't have an answer, they'll find one for you.

Their downfall is when it comes to PPT's; my first PPT was with a converted Saiga. This turned out to be rather annoying because one of the associates had to take it up to their manager to confirm its legality. On top of that, you've got to wait what seems like hours for a PPT; they're last priority. And if that's not enough, if you're like me and can't do a pick up on the 10th day it's going to cost you!

Target Masters in Milipitas, CA - I've only been recently introduced to this place and so far my 2 visits have been pleasant. I guess I lucked out because the person I had done a PPT with was a former employee there. He assisted in doing the necessary paperwork but one thing I'll add...they have tons of paperwork! The staff didn't treat me any differently and it went so well I bought a handgun they had in stock and added it to the dros. The whole ordeal did take a lot longer than it should've, but I blame that on all the paperwork they require you to fill out.

The second visit occurred earlier today actually. Picking up was of course a lot quicker and smoother. They verify everything's in check, and continue with filling out other paperwork (store-specific I guess) while you wait but otherwise I will use them again.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:52 AM

Over the years i think I've bought and dealt with almost every Southbay gun store or FFL.

Gun Exchange (bought my 1st AK - SA85 back in '98 for $450)

Sportsman's Supply (bought brand new G23 $430 and CZ75 $330, but haven't been in there in over 5 years, haven't bought a gun there in over 10)

Kurley's (bought a Russian Makarov for $175 when they where going for $3-400 at the time... the California Safe Handgun list had just came out). I can't even remember where they are located? Didn't Apple buyout the entire block???

Metal Dog (awesome single shot exempt service a few years ago). I got an email from Tannis a couple weeks ago stating San Jose PD came in and said they can't except any transfers!!

Mount Pleasant Arms (got all my HK's here, super awesome gun friendly as long as you follow his strict rules and limited hours)

Trader's Sports (san leandro) Cheapest gun prices around! Fry's Electronics of gun stores. Shut Down by ATF ages ago! sorry!

Roger's Relics (For transfers... Nicest people on the planet, prices have gone way up though)

Reeds (Alum Rock) long gone, moved gun stuff to SC - only gun store, at the time, that I never bought from.

Reeds (Santa Clara) When they first opened, Chris sold me my very 1st AR15, Bushmaster xm15, for $450! My current RAW.

Rob Blank for FFL transfers (awesome guy, but just a little too far for me).

Target Masters (okay prices back in the day, bought my 1st handgun from them... 92FS for $500) Stopped going to their range when my wife and I got warned for making too much noise!! You know, because 9mm's are way too loud!

Big 5... yeah, whatever!

I'm sure I am missing a couple I've dealt with long ago, but I can't recall all of them.

Currently the BEST for FFL transfers is FARWEST Photography in Santa Clara!!!! Dave is a one man show, but he is one awesome and entertaining funny guy! He's been working over 12 hour days the last few weeks helping us folks out, and don't forget that once the calm hits after Jan 1st. A huge plus is that he's 2 stop light from my work.

If I needed a show room and wanted to buy local... I'd go to Bass Pro Shops. Mainly because of location. I live less than 2 miles away and 5 minutes with traffic. For me... my time is money.

If you can find gun clubs that have an FFL... that is the way to go, but then again that requires time.