Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2016, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
It's a real question, and nobody who knows what the regulations will be is saying yet.

This is probably the most frequent of the FAQs; nobody want to accept that the answer is not yet known.

Let us not speculate on that in this thread; there are other threads, but that is off topic for this one.
In order to prevent someone from re-installing the original BB, wouldn't they have to have 2 separate definitions for a RAW? Doesn't seem logical to me.
Old 10-18-2016, 5:43 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneaudiopro View Post
In order to prevent someone from re-installing the original BB, wouldn't they have to have 2 separate definitions for a RAW? Doesn't seem logical to me.
Logic is not used when CA gun control laws/regulations are created, so do not attempt to use it when trying to determine what it's about.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-19-2016, 12:48 AM

Confused and want to be certain.....

My RAWs from the bans of 1989 and 1999, how/if are these going to be affected?

Watch Astro steal brass and take it into his cage....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B_pd-yRWE&hd=1

Glock 20C at indoor range....
http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q
Old 10-19-2016, 3:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Rifleman View Post
NO, BLM and the National Forest allow them. Search Calguns for the letters from these agencies regarding authorization.
Where are these so called letters?

This is all you get from the CalGuns search..."Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
Old 10-19-2016, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1966 View Post
From what I understand, the new law will not affect RAWs that have been registered in previous Assault Weapon bans. The new law changes the State's definition of a fixed magazine in an effort to ban guns using the bullet button and many other magazine locks. The State has opened up assault weapon registration for the firearms affected by the new legal definition.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Where are these so called letters?

This is all you get from the CalGuns search..."Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...ing.print.html BLM says "Persons have permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms on BLM-administered public lands, including lawfully registered assault weapons, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations."

I'm having trouble finding National Forest info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-19-2016, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...ing.print.html BLM says "Persons have permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms on BLM-administered public lands, including lawfully registered assault weapons, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations."

I'm having trouble finding National Forest info.
Thanks for that!
Old 10-19-2016, 1:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1966 View Post
Confused and want to be certain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
From what I understand, the new law will not affect RAWs that have been registered in previous Assault Weapon bans. The new law changes the State's definition of a fixed magazine in an effort to ban guns using the bullet button and many other magazine locks. The State has opened up assault weapon registration for the firearms affected by the new legal definition.
that is my understanding as well. we registered as required by law at the time. I think we're good to go.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM

Default AR15/AK10 TRANSFER FROM CA (PARENT) TO SON (AZ RESIDENT)

I've done my due diligence, contacted CA Bureau of Firearms, several local FFL dealers and researched CALGUNS to an answer to the following, with nothing but confusion.

I have several ARs/AK that magically turn into Assault Weapons. Instead of being subjected to registering them as AW, can I drive them over to Arizona and give them to my son an Arizona resident before January 1, 2017?. Both the local FFLs and Bureau of Firearms, said that I could do so and all I had to do was submit a "Notice of No Longer In Possession" form.

If this is correct, am I required to fill out section D (Disposition) on the form. It wants my sons name and contact information. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh7 View Post
I've done my due diligence, contacted CA Bureau of Firearms, several local FFL dealers and researched CALGUNS to an answer to the following, with nothing but confusion.

I have several ARs/AK that magically turn into Assault Weapons. Instead of being subjected to registering them as AW, can I drive them over to Arizona and give them to my son an Arizona resident before January 1, 2017?. Both the local FFLs and Bureau of Firearms, said that I could do so and all I had to do was submit a "Notice of No Longer In Possession" form.

If this is correct, am I required to fill out section D (Disposition) on the form. It wants my sons name and contact information. Thanks.
per federal law, it is a felony for a resident of one state to transfer a firearm to a resident of a different without using an FFL to faciltate the transfer. ther is no federal intrafamily exemption to this. any FFL who tells you different is wrong and is setting you, and your son, up for multiple federal felonies.

the legal way to do this is take the firearms to an AZ FFL who logs them into his bound book and then the FFL transfers them out to your son.

you can then fill out section D with the information of the AZ FFL you transfered them to.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-28-2016, 9:44 PM
Administrator

bump
Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

Tag
Old 11-29-2016, 6:01 PM
Señor Member

So with the bump to the new page, clarifying that you agree with the following on terms of transportation:

All current transportation rules for handguns apply....

EXCEPT

Specific destination requirements apply even when transported within a motor vehicle, IOTW, a RAW may not be a "trunk gun" while a non-RAW rifle or handgun may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-30-2016, 4:45 AM

// Moved the answer to Centerfire Rifles
//
// Kindly do not post questions that fit in different forums in a thread that is in 1; in this case, the
// first question was sort-of OK here, but the second question was centerfire-rifle-technical and entirely
// off topic for "How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me"
//
// Librarian

- - Walter Matthau as Dr. Groeteschele in "Fail Safe" (1964)

Last edited by Librarian; 12-01-2016 at 9:36 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 12-02-2016, 4:38 PM

Responding to BackdoorBlammer with "my understanding of the new law" (but know I'm a banker, not a lawyer...):

Hello, I am a new rifle owner and just purchased my first rifle just in time before the law changes next year.

1. My question is do we have to register it again as a RAW or can we just choose not to register it.

YES, YOU MUST REGISTER AN ASSAULT WEAPON BEFORE 12/31/2017, OR FACE FELONY CHARGES.

2.What are the pro's and con's of registering vs not registering.

THE POSSIBILITY OF FACING FELONY CHARGES AFTER 12/31/2017.

3.Are you guys going to register your AW's?

I'VE ALREADY CONVERTED MY AR15 AND AK47 TO "FEATURELESS", SO THEY WON'T HAVE TO BE REGISTERED AS AW's. I THINK THAT KEEPS ME OUT OF TROUBLE.

4. If i choose not to register, would i need to modify my rifle?

IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP YOUR AW's AND AVOID POSSIBLE FELONY CHARGES, YOU EITHER REGISTER THEM OR CONVERT THEM TO "FEATURELESS". IT'S SIMPLE: 1. GET A FIXED STOCK; 2. REMOVE ANY FORWARD HAND GRIP; 3. SWITCH OUT ANY FLASH HIDER WITH A MUZZLE BRAKE; AND, 4. EITHER WRAP THE PISTOL GRIP (I THINK THEY USE KYDEX?) OR REPLACE IT WITH A MONSTERMAN GRIP. DO ALL THAT, AND YOU CAN AVOID REGISTRATION AND EVEN REMOVE THE AR15 BULLET BUTTON AND/OR THE MAG RELEASE GUARD ON AN AK47.

GOOD LUCK AND PRAY FOR A US SUPREME COURT DECISION IN OUR FAVOR (SOMEDAY).

Last edited by vmassarano; 12-02-2016 at 4:42 PM..
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 PM

is there a ccw exemption for registered AW (pistol)?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by intradubio View Post
is there a ccw exemption for registered AW (pistol)?
No.

Destination and transport restrictions prevent using a RAW as CCW.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Will all RAW transport regulations still apply to unregistered AW's before Dec 31, 2017?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldo View Post
Will all RAW transport regulations still apply to unregistered AW's before Dec 31, 2017?
Yes - the regs apply to 'assault weapons', not only 'registered assault weapons'. Please re-read the first post in the thread.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-03-2016, 1:47 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yes - the regs apply to 'assault weapons', not only 'registered assault weapons'. Please re-read the first post in the thread.
This.

The key point to remember is that registration provides an exemption from prosecution under California's AW laws, just as having a CCW provides an exemption from prosecution under California's handgun transportation/carry laws.

Registration only provides the exemption for the specific registered weapons, just as the CCW only provides the exemption for the weapons specifically listed on the permit.

In this case, there is a blanket exemption for 2017 to allow for registration, but the laws themselves still apply, and transport or lending of an AW WOULD NOT be exempt from prosecution if not within the law beginning Jan 1 2017.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-03-2016, 2:55 PM
No Prisoners!

After reading all the posts, I note that for me the most difficult part of owning a RAW will be the transportation limitations.

Suppose, I intend to meet my father-in-law to shoot at his local range. We would be staying at his home for the weekend. If I am driving to his home to stay the night to go shoot the next morning, it would be technically illegal for me to do so....

Ive always tried to stay in technical compliance (as well as possible given the vagaries of CA law), but it will be so much harder to do with a RAW.

However, I just don't see how converting all rifles to featureless makes sense either, because we all know that they are going to go after the remaining semi-autos next anyway.

I just hate California now.
Old 12-03-2016, 3:46 PM

Per my previous entries, I've already converted to "featureless" and really the only noticeable difference to me is the wrapped pistol grip. I prefer the pistol grip, but I got use to the Monsterman fairly fast. Overall, it's worth it since I could remove the bullet button.

If they go after that next, I guess we'll all just have to adjust until the gun lobby can pursue this in the courts.

Old 12-03-2016, 4:00 PM

The question I have is this, I have RAW, a basic AR-15 without a flash hider/ muzzle break and collapsible stock. Can I install them If I wish?
Old 12-03-2016, 4:10 PM

It's my understanding that if the AW is "registered", you can have a flash hider, pistol grip, forward handgrip and collapsible stock. But you have to have a bullet button in place, and you are subject to all the new transportation, custody, sale and transfer restrictions for registered AW's after 12/31/2017.

I would love to hear otherwise if I'm getting it wrong or someone has a different understanding.

Old 12-03-2016, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Bullet button has not been definitively ruled on. HAS NOT.
Old 12-03-2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Bullet button has not been definitively ruled on. HAS NOT.
What makes you think that the DOJ would rule on the BB, other than to say that if you have one you do not have a fixed magazine, which is what the statute says?
Old 12-03-2016, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

I'm saying they will rule one way or another, whether if you are registering a bullet buttoned rifle you will be able to replace it with a magazine release or you will be forced to keep it on there. That's the only question that concerns me at the moment and has yet to be answered.
Old 12-03-2016, 7:28 PM
Señor Member

There is nothing in the law that precludes the removal of a bullet button.
The new law effectively renders the bullet button legally meaningless.

That said, despite the prosecution grace period in 2017, I would not be comfortable with an AW with the BB removed prior to registration.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post

Suppose, I intend to meet my father-in-law to shoot at his local range. We would be staying at his home for the weekend. If I am driving to his home to stay the night to go shoot the next morning, it would be technically illegal for me to do so....
After rereading the first page, if I understand it correctly, 30945 (a) says you can have it on a private property as long as the owner allows it. So as long as you're on good term with your father in law, you're good to go.
Old 12-04-2016, 3:49 AM

Fully agree with Cokebottle:

"...despite the prosecution grace period in 2017, I would not be comfortable with an AW with the BB removed prior to registration."

I think you have to have converted to "featureless" to be in safe territory without a bullet button in 2017. Lord knows what the situation will be by 2018 and beyond.

Old 12-04-2016, 4:39 AM
Veteran Member

What will happen with previously dros'ed AR pistols? I'm guessing reg as RAW.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
What will happen with previously dros'ed AR pistols? I'm guessing reg as RAW.
Same as with a rifle, except featureless is not an option.

1 - Fixed magazine such as the Franklin DFM or some other method of creating a fixed magazine that meets the definition in the law.
2 - Patriot Button or ARMaglock if you are comfortable with the legality of those.
3 - Registration
4 - Move the gun (and/or yourself) out of California

Quote:
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM

we all need to be patient and wait and see the final text. Let's not be sheep.
Old 12-04-2016, 4:10 PM

Are we allowed to change/upgrade upper parts? For example, say I want to buy a new complete upper. Am I legally allowed to do so? I don't see anything in the text of the law that says you can or cannot.
Old 12-04-2016, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylonrobert View Post
Are we allowed to change/upgrade upper parts? For example, say I want to buy a new complete upper. Am I legally allowed to do so? I don't see anything in the text of the law that says you can or cannot.

There is no law concerning that so yes you can. The PC does not specify that registered weapons must remain in originally registered confirguration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Question:

Does the "fixed / removable magazine" apply to all rifles -

Or only those with magazines outside the pistol grip?

(Sub2000)
Old 12-04-2016, 5:20 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post
Question:

Does the "fixed / removable magazine" apply to all rifles -

Or only those with magazines outside the pistol grip?

(Sub2000)
Magazine outside of the pistol grip is only an evil feature for pistols.
It makes no difference on rifles.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2016, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Same as with a rifle, except featureless is not an option.

1 - Fixed magazine such as the Franklin DFM or some other method of creating a fixed magazine that meets the definition in the law.
2 - Patriot Button or ARMaglock if you are comfortable with the legality of those.
3 - Registration
4 - Move the gun (and/or yourself) out of California
Workin on number 4

1A-2A = -1A
Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Magazine outside of the pistol grip is only an evil feature for pistols.
It makes no difference on rifles.
So a Sub2000 is required to be AW registered unless featureless - Correct?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM

Question -

Can I travel out-of-state for gunsmithing services/classes/etc., with a RAW, and return with the RAW? Any possible violation of transportation or transfer laws?