Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2016, 5:02 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default What you can/cannot or must do with Registered Assault Weapons (RAW)

Folks seem to be surprised. (I guess if you've never had a RAW, no real reason to know this stuff.)

The 2016 bills changed only the definition of what is an 'assault weapon'; none of the things-you-can-do were modified at all.

Here's the top level index of the Penal Code governing 'assault weapons' - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...er=2.&article=

First: CA is serious as a heart attack about violating the laws:
Quote:

(a) Any person who, within this state,
manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
distributes,
transports, or
imports into the state,
keeps for sale,
or offers or exposes for sale, or
who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle,
except as provided by this chapter, i
s guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for four, six, or eight years.
Here's what you are allowed to do:
Quote:

(a) Section 30600 shall not apply to a person who lawfully possesses and has registered an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter who lends that assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle to another person, if all the following requirements are satisfied:
(1) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent is 18 years of age or over and is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm.

(2) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent remains in the presence of the registered possessor of the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.

(3) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is possessed at any of the following locations:
(A) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(B) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(C) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(b) Section 30600 shall not apply to the return of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle to the registered possessor, or the lawful possessor, which is lent by that registered or lawful possessor pursuant to subdivision (a).

(c) Sections 30605 and 30610 shall not apply to the possession of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle by a person to whom an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent pursuant to subdivision (a).
You may not transfer an 'assault weapon' in CA or to a CA resident:
Quote:

Except as provided in Section 30925, no assault weapon possessed pursuant to this article may be sold or transferred on or after January 1, 1990, to anyone within this state other than to a licensed gun dealer or as provided in Section 31100.
Your children or other beneficiaries may not inherit an 'assault weapon' and keep it in CA
Quote:

Any person who obtains title to an assault weapon registered under this article or that was possessed pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 30630 by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, do one or more of the following:

(a) Render the weapon permanently inoperable.

(b) Sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer.

(c) Obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 32650) of Chapter 6.

(d) Remove the weapon from this state.
There are limited places 'assault weapons' are legal:
Quote:

Unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 31000, a person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this article may possess it only under any of the following conditions:

(a) At that person’s residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner’s express permission.

(b) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(c) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(d) While on the premises of a shooting club that is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.

(e) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.

(f) While on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 30510, 30515, 30520, or 30530, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
Note from below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...ing.print.html BLM says "Persons have permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms on BLM-administered public lands, including lawfully registered assault weapons, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations."
(g) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this section, or to any licensed gun dealer, for servicing or repair pursuant to Section 31050, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Sections 16850 and 25610.
Those are, respectively,
Quote:

(a) Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.

(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with the provisions listed in Section 16580.
and
Quote:

As used in this part, “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
That is, they must be transported like handguns - unloaded, locked container - and they have very limited allowed destinations.
To possess an 'assault weapon', must be 18 or older:
Quote:

No person who is under the age of 18 years, and no person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, may register or possess an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.
ETA - and, once the new definition of 'fixed magazine' makes lots of 2016 'regular rifles' into 2017 'assault weapons', all this regulation applies, even before they might be registered.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-28-2016 at 9:48 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

So (f)

While on public land ONLY with specific permission from the governing agency .

So basically you can only take your new "assault weapon" to the gun club.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 10-16-2016, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
So (f)

What I've read here before is that BLM and National Forest have given permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-16-2016, 6:15 PM

So just to make sure I read this correct. I will NOT be able to take my under 18 year old children to the range with me and let them shot my RAW?
Old 10-16-2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLapua View Post
So just to make sure I read this correct. I will NOT be able to take my under 18 year old children to the range with me and let them shot my RAW?
correct.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-16-2016, 6:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLapua View Post
Yes, that is correct. Under-18 may not possess (handle, shoot) a RAW.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Old 10-16-2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yes, that is correct. Under-18 may not possess (handle, shoot) a RAW.

Thank you
Old 10-16-2016, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What I've read here before is that BLM and National Forest have given permission.
What about DWR (Department of Water Resources)? They oversee the Oroville and Spenceville public shooting ranges. Management of these ranges is subbed out to DFW (Department of Fish and Wildlife).

Is this information available in print anywhere?
Old 10-16-2016, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wow, didn't know there was a mandatory minimum 4 year sentence.
Old 10-16-2016, 7:15 PM

How about RAWs in non AW configuration e.g. featureless rifle with pistol grip with grip wrap?

1. Does all of the above still apply?

2.If a RAW in non AW configuration would be a part of an estate can the estate executor get in trouble for unknowingly trying to sell / give an AW?

3. Can estate executor convert an RAW (not banned by name) in to a featureless rifle and deregister it and then sell / give?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Re: 16850, does it have to be a hard container, or will a soft one be ok?
Old 10-16-2016, 7:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for posting.

RAW

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 10-16-2016, 7:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Re: 16850, does it have to be a hard container, or will a soft one be ok?
As usual, nobody knows for sure.

I have both; I'll use whatever I find convenient, unless some positive statement appears, to force only one choice.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 10-16-2016, 7:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortifer View Post
How about RAWs in non AW configuration e.g. featureless rifle with pistol grip with grip wrap?

1. Does all of the above still apply?

2.If a RAW in non AW configuration would be a part of an estate can the estate executor get in trouble for unknowingly trying to sell / give an AW?

3. Can estate executor convert an RAW (not banned by name) in to a featureless rifle and deregister it and then sell / give?

Thanks
Assuming it's an option, why would one register a featureless rifle?

Not doing that avoids all the problems you note.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 10-16-2016, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Probably so they could run AW configuration when they want to and run featureless when it's inconvenient/illegal to do it with an AW.

Quote:
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-16-2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Assuming it's an option, why would one register a featureless rifle?

Not doing that avoids all the problems you note.
Thank you Librarian for your time to response.

Quote:
Probably so they could run AW configuration when they want to and run featureless when it's inconvenient/illegal to do it with an AW.
Thank you Junkie, this is the the reason why I'm asking.

For example, if legal, you could convert your RAW to featureless while transporting from and to the range and you do not have to worry about stopping for gas or to get a bite to eat.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 8:50 PM
Señor Member

Whether featureless or not, it remains RAW until the paperwork is processed to de-register it.
Once de-registered, it can not be registered again.

Those are the current regulations and nothing is apparent that changes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-16-2016, 9:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Hmmm now how is this going to effect me since I use MSRs to hunt with almost exclusively.

Have to know what land I'm on at all times and if that public lands owning entities allows it. May be going back to a bolt action. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 1:22 AM

Just to make sure, what does the law say about bringing a RAW into a shop for gunsmithing or refinishing?

Last edited by HibikiR; 10-17-2016 at 1:40 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 5:42 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
Just to make sure, what does the law say about bringing a RAW into a shop for gunsmithing or refinishing?
It is legal to transport a RAW directly to and from a CA FFL dealer with an assault weapons permit (DWP-AW), in order to service or repair of the RAW. [PC 30945(g)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 10-17-2016 at 5:44 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 6:26 AM

Do you know if it would be possible for your children to convert it to featureless if inherited? Everything I read says no, but just in case I missed that part.
Old 10-17-2016, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsd731 View Post
Do you know if it would be possible for your children to convert it to featureless if inherited? Everything I read says no, but just in case I missed that part.
No,but your Estate could sell it out of state.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—“
Old 10-17-2016, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsd731 View Post
You can convert to featureless, deregister it as a RAW, then you can pass it on to your kin if I read everything correctly.
Old 10-17-2016, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
So (f)

NO, BLM and the National Forest allow them. Search Calguns for the letters from these agencies regarding authorization.
Old 10-17-2016, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
You can convert to featureless, deregister it as a RAW, then you can pass it on to your kin if I read everything correctly.
Just to emphasize, it's the person the RAWs are registered to doing the featureless/deregistration, not the children after the registered owner passes away.
Old 10-17-2016, 8:42 AM

Am I reading this right? You may only lend (while in your presence) a RAW to someone at certain, specific locations including different types of organized shooting ranges and educational exhibitions?
Quote:
(A) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(B) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(C) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
This list of locations, however, differs from the locations where I, the RAW owner, am allowed to use my RAW.
Quote:
Unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 31000, a person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this article may possess it only under any of the following conditions:

(a) At that person’s residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner’s express permission.

(b) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(c) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(d) While on the premises of a shooting club that is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.

(e) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.

(f) While on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 30510, 30515, 30520, or 30530, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.

(g) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this section, or to any licensed gun dealer, for servicing or repair pursuant to Section 31050, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Sections 16850 and 25610.
So, I may use my RAW on someone's private property (with their permission), but I cannot let the property owner or anyone else shoot the RAW on said private property; is that correct? This would also hold true on public land?
Old 10-17-2016, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

The question I've asked before is regarding BLM/NF and I was told that you can't let a friend shoot it while you're there.

Related question: on BLM/NF land. Targets are a couple hundred yards downrange, you have multiple AWs there. Do you have to lock them up before heading downrange if you have a friend staying back?

Quote:
Old 10-17-2016, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks Librarian! Always with concise and pertinent info.

Nothing but "gotcha laws" designed to punish people with no ill intent.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent summary Librarian. Bookmarked for future reference!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 10-17-2016, 4:03 PM

Thanks for this thread!
Old 10-17-2016, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm guessing a RAW can't be loaned? My stepson is wanting to take my wife to the range. Can I let her take my RAW?
Old 10-17-2016, 4:50 PM

What if while on my way to the range I stop at the mini-mart along the way to pick up water? Am I then no longer going to the range while I am at the mini-mart?

And I know my question is in that gray area (or maybe not). I'm just trying to sort through all this stuff.
Old 10-17-2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
What if while on my way to the range I stop at the mini-mart along the way to pick up water? Am I then no longer going to the range while I am at the mini-mart?

And I know my question is in that gray area (or maybe not). I'm just trying to sort through all this stuff.

Not to mention the issue of going to lunch after a morning of shooting and leaving the "RAW" locked in your trunk in a gun case (and will it matter if it is a long lunch, or if your car remains within your line of site, or involves a little driving detour to get to the restaurant as opposed to being directly on the way home?), or driving it to a friend's house to show it to him or work on it in his shop if he is not a licensed gun dealer, or moving, with or without running some moving-related errands along the way. There is a nightmare of deliberate, potential gotchas here for law-abiding responsible gun owners to get hammered with if a zealous prosecutor chooses to..

People may wish to be very, very cautious, and as a warning to what can happen if you are not in perfect technical compliance with laws in an anti-gun state, read Brian Aiken's book, The Blue Tent Sky: How the Left's War on Guns Cost Me My Son and My Freedom (available on Amazon). This New Jersey man who never attacked or hurt anyone, or tried to, spent 4 years in a New Jersey prison for technical violations of gun laws, convicted of "driving around" with his unloaded guns, a prohibited act (the facts are complicated, but his defense was that he was in the process of moving but he was also doing other things on the way). He was pardoned by Chris Christie. I know this was NJ and not CA, but the point is that convictions for gun technicalities can destroy lives, families, professional licensing, and mental health.
Old 10-17-2016, 5:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I'm guessing a RAW can't be loaned? My stepson is wanting to take my wife to the range. Can I let her take my RAW?
No. You must stay with the person and make the loan at the place to shoot.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 10-17-2016, 8:30 PM

Well, this is gonna be fun for LEOs to enforce!
Old 10-17-2016, 8:40 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGunsChannel View Post
They've been enforcing it for 20 years.

This actually makes it easier because any featured build that they see the magazine drop is suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-17-2016, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGunsChannel View Post

Actually, it will be easy.

Sent from my iPhone so typos to be expected.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 PM

I think the real question for those considering registering is... "once it's registered, can I remove the bullet button and replace it with a standard magazine release?"
Old 10-18-2016, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoof145 View Post
I think the real question for those considering registering is... "once it's registered, can I remove the bullet button and replace it with a standard magazine release?"
It's a real question, and nobody who knows what the regulations will be is saying yet.

This is probably the most frequent of the FAQs; nobody want to accept that the answer is not yet known.

Let us not speculate on that in this thread; there are other threads, but that is off topic for this one.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 10-18-2016, 5:18 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
Am I reading this right? You may only lend (while in your presence) a RAW to someone at certain, specific locations including different types of organized shooting ranges and educational exhibitions?

So, I may use my RAW on someone's private property (with their permission), but I cannot let the property owner or anyone else shoot the RAW on said private property; is that correct? This would also hold true on public land?
Correct on all counts.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).