Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-20-2019, 9:40 AM

In the free-er and free states C&R acquisitions are great with a C&R FFL. More and more guns are turning 50, and 48-52 years ago a high volume of nice guns were being manufactured. Milsurps are not changing much (although each year more Colt SP1s turn 50) but many nice handguns are falling into the C&R bucket.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Me too. Surplus firearms are what got me into firearms in general. It seemed at the time only the whacky old timers were into them and they were dirt cheap. Lucky me. Unfortunately I still didn’t have the money at that time, and certainly didn’t expect them to rise in price the way they have or become scarce. Regardless, I’m buying when I can, although its slightly bittersweet.
Old 09-20-2019, 8:14 PM

C&R is what got me started as well, I always liked Militaria & collectables , firearms used during war and the history , a lot more interesting because the military surplus was a piece of history.

The joy of taking an old surplus firearm to the range and firing it was like bringing it back to life after years of being in storage.
Old 09-23-2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
There are hundreds of thousands of C&R's sitting in various places in Europe that can be imported right now. The main problem (other than the ban on some Russian guns) is that the asking prices are too high

The refurb Mosin Nagant 91/30's and Yugo M48's being sold by Cabela's (among other retailers) were all imported recently
True. A lot of formerly thought of as rare Swedes and Swiss came in and our coming in. Century is working through a warehouse in Ukraine. Lots of whole collections coming to market. I believe we are entering the Silver Age of Milsurps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 3:49 PM

I started late, but I do remember when you could get a Norinco SKS's new in grease, and 1100 rnds of corrosive ammo, for $99.00 at the Cow Palace.
Old 09-26-2019, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
Big 5

I got a 91/30 and one of those MAS36's from Big5... both pretty nice, a lot of those MAS36's were new. Pretty sure everything else was shipped to my door... and left. Nothing like the good old days of old military rifles sitting there till you get home from work. I think a M39 and Romanian SKS are my favorites, and a the two nicest 8mm Mausers.
Old 09-26-2019, 4:57 PM

I believe the early semiautomatic s&w are becoming c&r eligible and I've been out on the hunt for a while now.
Old 09-26-2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Yeah I remember being at Big 5 when they had Enfields for $130. They were in pretty crappy condition so I passed. I’d happily pay that now for them in that condition.
I remember the days when Big 5 had Swedish Mauser rifles for $119. Some were all matching & in very good condition, with excellent bores
Old 09-26-2019, 6:13 PM

Santa Clara County Fairgrounds gun show 1982 - Springfield 1903 - like unfired - $180 dollars - many others - all for near the same price - and I only bought one cuz I was just starting out after college.

Still have it so I guess I should be happy.
Old 09-27-2019, 9:43 AM

I remember the days when gas was .30 cents a gallon and a hamburger a Quarter, movie tickets .50............you could go on a date with 5 bucks
Old 09-27-2019, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
I remember the days when gas was .30 cents a gallon and a hamburger a Quarter, movie tickets .50............you could go on a date with 5 bucks
$5 bucks used to get us to Yosemite and back from Freekmont in '68. And another 5 spot would bail out a case of C-rations. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 09-27-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
$5 bucks used to get us to Yosemite and back from Freekmont in '68. And another 5 spot would bail out a case of C-rations. PAX
Minimum Wage was what $2.00 per hour, CRats........Yummy, everything you needed for a gourmet meal.
Old 09-29-2019, 7:41 PM

My dad bought a few antique guns when he was younger for stupid low prices compared to today. Like an 1873 Springfield 45-70 rifle for $50 mail ordered. I remember when I was a teen ager looking at the Shotgun News magazines and seeing ads that said 5 Mausers for $100. Or Colt 45 auto revolvers for $17.95. Shotgun News had pages and pages of ads for old guns. Wish I had started collecting sooner.
Old 09-29-2019, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Minimum Wage was what $2.00 per hour, CRats........Yummy, everything you needed for a gourmet meal.
I'm pretty sure they were Korean surplus to boot. 15 years old? Ten bucks, there and back with grub. Three fellas off for a road trip, $3 bucks and some coke bottles. Was worth every penny. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own