Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Default DOJ Record keeping process?

I have bought and sold a few guns since becoming a CA resident in about 1976.
The guns I bought have all been legally purchased and, unfortunately, in the case of two revolvers, I sold them without going through the proper transfer process.
These were guns that I owned and I assume are still registered to me, but I have no idea where they are now.
One of them I sold to a neighbor in '77 and the other I traded for a dog in '90
So this was a while ago.
There have been a couple of occasions when I inquired about how to handle this so that 'on the record' these 2 revolvers are no longer connected with me.
I tried phoning the DOJ and the person I spoke to simply told me that he couldn't help me with that.
Yet it seems like there must be some record in existence that connects me with these 2 guns.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-kay View Post
The guns I bought have all been legally purchased and, unfortunately, in the case of two revolvers, I sold them without going through the proper transfer process.
These were guns that I owned and I assume are still registered to me, but I have no idea where they are now.
So this was a while ago.
There have been a couple of occasions when I inquired about how to handle this so that 'on the record' these 2 revolvers are no longer connected with me.
I tried phoning the DOJ and the person I spoke to simply told me that he couldn't help me with that.
Yet it seems like there must be some record in existence that connects me with these 2 guns.

Thanks
Sir, You don't understand the way the AFS (Automated Firearms System) works. All the AFS does is record that a particular transaction occurred on a particular date. That's it. The AFS does not purport to indicate who "owns" a particular firearm, or who currently possesses that firearm.

There is no provision by which you can remove the "Report of Sale" record that was created in the AFS when you purchased the weapons. The fact that you purchased the weapons on a particular date remains a historical fact regardless of what later may have happened with those weapons. In other words, the fact that you later disposed of the weapons does not create a need to change anything in the AFS.

You do have the option to submit a "No Longer in Possession" report to the DOJ. That will not change, or remove, any existing AFS records, but will create a new record indicating that you reported that you no longer possess the involved weapon(s).
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Filling out the no longer in possession form might be a futile venture. As Rick pointed out it will not remove your name from the history of the firearm. I have heard rumor's that DOJ will not process incomplete forms, so if you don't have name's addresses and anything else required on the form it may be a waste of time.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can search which firearms are registered to you thru atf. Also thru state.
Old 09-18-2019, 1:55 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-kay View Post

So this was a while ago.

Thanks
The 'use an FFL' requirement was not imposed until 1991, so assuming no other 'color', your 1977 and 1990 sales were legal at the time, and remain so.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-18-2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I was under the impression the ATF did not keep a registry of who owns what.
Old 09-18-2019, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
I was under the impression the ATF did not keep a registry of who owns what.
Tungsten, you are correct. ATF doesn't collect and store that information.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 09-18-2019, 2:34 PM

OK - That's interesting
Well there hasn't been any trouble for me, so far, as a result of selling these 2 revolvers with no transfer. But the thing I'm most concerned about is: Hypothetically - Should the USA see a mandatory buyback scenario, such as what was imposed in other nations... It seems like individuals would be accountable to show up with all the weapons that are registered to them, and then to surrender them, or face criminal charges.
It's difficult for me to imagine how something like that might be realistically enforceable.

The thing I am seeing is that the government (or some branch of the government) is attempting to create a registration system for firearms that is only marginally enforceable.
On the surface it appears to outsiders to have some sort of enforceability to it, but when someone checks into it... except for assault weapons, they could never disarm the public, using the existing system.

The more closely someone examines the record keeping system, the more it seems like something designed by the Democrats for the purpose of pacifying voters

Last edited by bee-kay; 09-18-2019 at 2:44 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
What's the process for that?

I'm pissed.
WTB: Rhodesian A5 FN 12G Shotgun...any leads appreciated.
WTB: FN FS2000
Old 09-19-2019, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

The CA DOJ firearms database, especially for older firearms, is so bad that under the APPS programs the DOJ can’t usually get a warrant to seize firearms that the subject may or may not still own. If the ATF were to run a trace on the two revolvers the trail would stop with you, but having legally sold the firearms, the trail would go cold unless you could provide them with enough information to track the purchasers.

One of the major problems with a mandatory gun buyback program is that the government can’t reliably connect specific firearms with the current owner in most cases. The government also cannot determine the current configuration of a firearm. If they were to have a mandatory buyback (confiscation) of semiautomatic AR15s, they have no way of knowing if any specific AR15 is configured in a manner that qualifies for a buyback.

I wouldn’t get too concerned about a mandatory buyback for revolvers, since this would mean the second amendment has been nullified and you would be really low on the list of gun owners to be “contacted”.
Old 09-19-2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
The CA DOJ firearms database, especially for older firearms, is so bad that under the APPS programs the DOJ can’t usually get a warrant to seize firearms that the subject may or may not still own. If the ATF were to run a trace on the two revolvers the trail would stop with you, but having legally sold the firearms, the trail would go cold unless you could provide them with enough information to track the purchasers.

One of the major problems with a mandatory gun buyback program is that the government can’t reliably connect specific firearms with the current owner in most cases. The government also cannot determine the current configuration of a firearm. If they were to have a mandatory buyback (confiscation) of semiautomatic AR15s, they have no way of knowing if any specific AR15 is configured in a manner that qualifies for a buyback.

I wouldn’t get too concerned about a mandatory buyback for revolvers, since this would mean the second amendment has been nullified and you would be really low on the list of gun owners to be “contacted”.

Thank you - It has reached the point where what you said is what my assumption is, but it's good to hear a second opinion on that.
I asked at gun shops and called the ATF... The ATF/DOJ doesn't have a record keeping database that comes anywhere close to what the DMV has.
I get the impression that they want us to believe that they do, but I think that's only to give anti-gun voters satisfaction.