Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Another CFARS question - new CA resident

Hello all,

Got more questions for you.

Currently, I have an off roster gun that is in the process of being registered with DOJ.

I have been told that the registration can take up to a year....

In the mean time, can I sell this firearm? Or do I have to wait until it is processed? If I can sell it, do I have to report the sale to the DOJ or does the DROS for the new buyer take care of that?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You can sell it as soon as you have CA ID; DROS data submission will take care of reporting the sale.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Thank you sir. So I don't need to do the whole no longer in possession form with the DOJ?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperchoi View Post
Thank you sir. So I don't need to do the whole no longer in possession form with the DOJ?
Correct. Selling through a CA FFL takes care of all the needed paperwork.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
You can sell it as soon as you have CA ID; DROS data submission will take care of reporting the sale.
Quote:
Correct. Selling through a CA FFL takes care of all the needed paperwork.
This is what I understood as well but a worker at a reputable FFL mentioned (just recently) that it has to be registered prior to doing a PPT no matter what.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
This is what I understood as well but a worker at a reputable FFL mentioned (just recently) that it has to be registered prior to doing a PPT no matter what.
Which is totally incorrect. The only thing correct about the story, is that you can never trust a FFL worker to give you accurate info about CA gun laws.

A new resident does not even have to register them, they can either sell or register the firearms within 60 days. The firearms do not have to be in CA AFS first.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN

Quote:
(a) Within 60 days of bringing a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm, into this state, a personal firearm importer shall do one of the following:
(1) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.
(2) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of Section 27545 or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from Section 27545.
(3) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2.
(4) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police department.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-05-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-05-2019, 2:50 PM

Thank you everyone. Posted it for sale.
Old 09-06-2019, 1:52 PM

If you sell it before it gets registered to you in afs then you'll get a rejection notice that you sold it via PPT.
Old 09-07-2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0rkus View Post
If you sell it before it gets registered to you in afs then you'll get a rejection notice that you sold it via PPT.
It is not clear what is the meaning of this comment.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
It is not clear what is the meaning of this comment.
Order of operations:

1) new-resident submits registration, which takes n days.

2) before n days complete, new resident sells gun PPT; DROS filing takes minutes if that much

3) after n days, the DOJ process of the new resident registration notices the PPT and the new owner. 'Hey, new resident, you cannot register that gun, it belongs to Bob the Buyer'.

I haven't heard this is actually a problem. And, if the new resident filing is through CFARS, "n days" may be very small.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Never get advice from LEO or FFL employee about firearm related matters. Do your own due diligence. A fool who listens to a fool is twice damned.
Old 09-07-2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Order of operations:

1) new-resident submits registration, which takes n days.

2) before n days complete, new resident sells gun PPT; DROS filing takes minutes if that much

3) after n days, the DOJ process of the new resident registration notices the PPT and the new owner. 'Hey, new resident, you cannot register that gun, it belongs to Bob the Buyer'.

I haven't heard this is actually a problem. And, if the new resident filing is through CFARS, "n days" may be very small.
I don't think it is a problem, just a waste of some $.