Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 08-09-2019, 1:31 AM
Veteran Member

Default Condor QC disappointing

A couple of years back, I bought a Condor Golok machete style knife---it showed up looking beautiful---painted parts were like a car---polished surfaces were like a custom knife---wood grip was nicely fitted and polished smooth---too nice to use! Oh, and only $45 bucks too!
Just recently, I got a deal on a brand new Jungelo machete---love the design---but the quality was shockingly poor---painted surfaces were thin and very poorly applied---lots of tool marks everywhere---polished surfaces were not so great, but the worst part was the sharpening of the blade---at least 13 dents on the edge---not anything like the former quality at all---and the prices have doubled for the El Salvador products (!)
So, anybody else have any experience with the latest Condor products?
FWIW, I resharpened the blade and removed the edge dents and because I intend to use the crap out of this knife (huge backyard), I didn't send it back, but was very close to returning it...
Old 08-09-2019, 1:55 AM
Veteran Member

Condor is south american using leafspring steel. At first they were priced accordingly, but now they think they're something they're not! They have a few designs I'm interested in, but not at their current price point.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Any other recent Condor knife experiences?
Old 09-04-2019, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I never had one, but I like OKC and Cold Steel (like the South African Kukri machetes for thrashing. CS can be rough too, but well worth the price. OKC are not rough, but maybe a little less refined than a ESSE, so I hear. The ones I like are the RAT7 and RTACII... IMHO though, nothing beats a SYKCO handle or their steel - an exception to the old rule about full tangs being a requirement. I'd rather have resiprene when actually using something.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Regarding South African machetes---thirty years ago, I bought three SA made machetes under the Cold Steel brand name, for about $6 bucks apiece at a gun store---sharpened them up good---been using them this entire time on my huge yard---oiled them from time to time to prevent rust---gave one away to a friend who admired it and continue to use the other two to this day---best $$$ I ever spent on a cheap knife...