Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-27-2019, 5:42 AM

Default Dedicated Shot Timer vs Shot Time Apps?

Im not a competitor by no means, but I figure it would be relevant to ask here.

After doing some pistol and rifle training, I think it would benefit me tremendously to invest in a shot timer.

I know these things aren't cheap, and I won't have the luxury to use the timer often. Would a shot timer app suffice? I can connect my phone to the aux port on my ear pro.

School me here and tell me from your experiences between a dedicated timer and an app. All advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2019, 6:02 AM

from my experiences using both, I would say invest in a dedicated shot timer. I've played around with the apps and while I can get some to work with dry firing they all seem to be too sensitive on the range.

Even though they have a sensitivity setting even on the lowest I have had multiple continuously pick up shots from the next bay.

I'm saving for a dedicated shot timer currently.

The only thing I think that will change the game is if someone develops a shot timer for the iwatch that would work using the accelerometer. I think that would be awesome.
Old 08-27-2019, 6:26 AM

You can get a shot timer for not that much. We can all buy lots of guns and ammo, getting a dedicated and _functional_ shot timer is a long term investment that will immediately pay for itself...

Not use the shot timer often? You should dry fire at least 5-10 times you do live fire. Shoot 200 live fire rounds a month? You need to dry practice at least 1000 rounds. If you do this, your timer will get lots of use.

Shooting is a perishable skill, btw

That said, I've also searched a lot for shot timer apps. The better ones have since gone.... So, dedicated for me the last couple of years...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rodralig; 08-27-2019 at 6:36 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 6:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have used the Shotmaxx timer watch (xmas gift) and it seemed to work well enough but the buttons were a little on the small side and would be hard to use with gloves on - https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/shotmaxx-2
Old 08-27-2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LT1 View Post
from my experiences using both, I would say invest in a dedicated shot timer. I've played around with the apps and while I can get some to work with dry firing they all seem to be too sensitive on the range.

Even though they have a sensitivity setting even on the lowest I have had multiple continuously pick up shots from the next bay.

I'm saving for a dedicated shot timer currently.

The only thing I think that will change the game is if someone develops a shot timer for the iwatch that would work using the accelerometer. I think that would be awesome.
There is a shot timer watch out there that uses an accelerometer.

And another device that also uses an accelerometer (MantisX).

Old 08-27-2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
I have used the Shotmaxx timer watch (xmas gift) and it seemed to work well enough but the buttons were a little on the small side and would be hard to use with gloves on - https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/shotmaxx-2
I use my Shotmaxx 2 in a live fire range so I don't pick up shots from other bays and the Pocket Pro 2 for dry practice

Old 08-27-2019, 9:07 AM

I was looking at the Pocket Pro II. Is there such a learning curve as reviews make it out to be?

Admittedly I’m a bit reluctant to go for an app. Things like my phone freezing or dying during a string would suck.

Last edited by Romeo_alpha01; 08-28-2019 at 1:56 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 9:23 AM

There is a learning curve with anything. But you should be able to get the hang of it in a couple of sessions.

It's fairly intuitive. Just read the manual to familiarize yourself with its functionality.

If you can figure out an AR15, a timer should be straightforward.

Last edited by rodralig; 08-27-2019 at 9:55 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
There is a shot timer watch out there that uses an accelerometer.

And another device that also uses an accelerometer (MantisX).

Thanks.

However, I was hoping that since I already wear an iwatch. An app that uses the onboard accelerometer would be cheaper. If I'm going to buy hardware I'll buy a dedicated shot timer that can be used for people not wearing the watch as well.
Old 08-27-2019, 3:40 PM

dedicated timer. simple reason is once you go out with friends, its safer for your device.
Old 08-28-2019, 4:08 AM

What's a good shot timer you guys recommend based on your experience? I'm convinced to get a dedicated timer now, just debating between the ShotMaxx and the Pocket Pro II. I see CED7000s as well, but have no experience with those.
Old 08-28-2019, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
What's a good shot timer you guys recommend based on your experience? I'm convinced to get a dedicated timer now, just debating between the ShotMaxx and the Pocket Pro II. I see CED7000s as well, but have no experience with those.
There is a recent thread regarding this

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

Old 08-28-2019, 7:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

I know these things aren't cheap, and I won't have the luxury to use the timer often.
You can use a shot timer every day in dry fire and every visit to the range. You can use the par time feature to make the timer beep at the beginning and end of any amount of time that you want.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Do not forget to check Commander from http://www.amg-lab.com
Old 08-28-2019, 4:36 PM

I use an app called splits. I use the par function for dry fire at home. I go to the desert to live fire so i don't need to worry about picking up other people shots. I set up 4 or 5 targets for some kind of small stage. you can program it to do a number of things, like input mag changes ETC. It seems to work great. It keeps a history of your shooting so u can tell how well u are doing. best of all it's free.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM

So I pulled the trigger on a used pocket pro II on eBay. Seller is an a**hole but I won’t let that derail my experience.

I read on Brian Enos that the screens aren’t all that waterproof or durable, and in photos it looks to be smaller but not as robust as the boat anchor that was the Pro I. Anybody here try to remedy the sensitive screen as preventative maintenance?
Old 08-30-2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
So I pulled the trigger on a used pocket pro II on eBay. Seller is an a**hole but I wonít let that derail my experience.

I read on Brian Enos that the screens arenít all that waterproof or durable, and in photos it looks to be smaller but not as robust as the boat anchor that was the Pro I. Anybody here try to remedy the sensitive screen as preventative maintenance?
I have the PP2. I've used it in the rain no problem. It wasn't dropping buckets though but I wouldn't be shooting in such weather anyhow. Not to train. I've dropped a few times and it still works like a champ. Admittedly, it doesn't feel like you can abuse it either but what the heck you gonna do to the thing? Goes on your belt while you train or someone is holding it. Not much there to really abuse the thing that it needs to be built like a tank.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

People place their shot timer in a zip lock bag when it rains. Whatever you choose, get it from Brownells because of their lifetime return policy.