Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2017, 6:44 PM

Shopped & shot there a few times. Clearly their range like their store is on the 'deferred maintenance' plan. That was never the part that bothered me. I had a store on Market Street in San Francisco for years. I know what it is to work retail and deal with people every day. Those guys, with the exception of Leo, were anywhere from indifferent to nearly overtly hostile jerks to me and my SO. Even though it is definitely the closest range to me, I just won't go there.
Old 04-27-2017, 4:38 PM

so um, anybody care to PM me the name of this range, so if I ever decide to shoot when I'm out of my home town with friends or something, I know to avoid this place?
Old 05-02-2017, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

I have a different situation but I offer it just to give you some perspective. We shoot at a LE only range for work training and qualifications. It is outdoor and used by multiple agencies.

A couple of years ago it was shut down by CA POST and flagged as having too many projectiles in the backstop, which they reported raised the risk of ricochets. I had never experienced any in many years there so I thought it was silly. The facility spent a 7 figure sum to carve out the whole hillside with heavy equipment, pave the facility and put in a massive scoop style backstop made of steel that they said would prevent all ricochets. Even the concrete used was special and designed to absorb bullet strikes into the concrete.

Well, about 4 months ago I got tagged hard in the shoulder by a ricochet. It scared the bejeezus out of me but didn't do much outside of a big bruise/welt and a small cut. I was wearing a vest, as mandated. The ricochet hit me in the right shoulder strap that holds the vest panels in place. I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm just saying even under 100% perfect and ideal conditions these things can happen.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Unless the range was designed incorrectly.

I was at San Leandro this afternoon and they've installed a cinder block wall about 50 yards from the benches on the far left side. It goes across the walkway on the way out to the targets.

I hope they had someone with ballistics background design this but I fear they did not and are only trying to prevent stray bullets from exiting down range. The angle the wall is set at is so shallow (looks like 20deg) that any bullet hitting that thing might ricochet back to one of the benches. I realize the chances of this are low with soft point bullets but a high energy round could send a fragment back.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 AM

I knew that range looked familiar! Yikes!

For what it's worth, a month or 2 ago they shut down early because someone shot the sprinkler system (which I believe is located in the rafters/ceiling) and it flooded the place out.

It's definitely an older range with some sketchy "tourist" type characters who have minimal experience with firearms, at times. More than once I have felt uncomfortable at my bay due to my neighbors.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:51 AM

Yeah, I don't fault the range officers for the stupidity of the people using the range. The RO's at San Leandro seem to be watchful but those who don't know what they are doing are still going to make mistakes regardless. Range safety is only as safe as those using the firearms, and labeling a range unsafe can also be a reflection on those using the range (aside from the ricochet issues).
Old 05-11-2017, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

not a so cal range
Old 05-11-2017, 9:13 PM

I was hit in the mouth with a jacketed 45 round that lucky had lost enough energy to Not knock my teeth out, but opened up both my lips. Lane one was once for rifle, so I thought I would only shoot on the right side. Went back with a friend and made sure to avoid 1, guess what, he got hit in the gut, so it's the range aging into a problem, will not go back there unless they remodel impact area, I know there is nothing else around SF peninsula, but I'll drive to San Leandro or a Richmond before I'll go back. Time to remodel.

P.S I wasn't even shooting at the time, was standing behind friend and round went through center black of his target and came straight back, nothing but the impact area was were round hit, so something is wrong in the impact Area. The bullet rebounded.
Picked it up went outside for first aid and showed staff spent round. Looked at the floor and saw lots of lead and jackets at the firing line.

Last edited by Mnort10x; 05-11-2017 at 9:24 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ricochets happen. You and your wife were aware enough of that fact to wear safety glasses. I'm sorry it happened. I'm glad it was not worse. YOU made the decision to shoot there and, as an adult, assumed the risk that you knew, or reasonably should have known, was present. I haven't heard or seen any indication that the range was at fault or should somehow compensate you or your wife for anything. The bottom line is: "Scat happens". Man up and take responsibility for your actions.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 05-24-2017, 8:47 PM

Default Unsafe range???

For what it's worth, the photo below was taken on 5/23/17. They have put up what seems to be new rubber mats on the backstop.

Old 07-15-2017, 8:43 PM

This happened to me today at the San Leandro range. Frist time there, no range officers present except the people in the office.

After about a half hour with 6-7 people shooting, something thwacked me in the shin (1/2in from the bone) and left a nasty gash. At first I thought it was just a really hard-hitting shell from the next stall over, but then the bruising set in and the wound began to bleed. I took a minute to reassess my life choices, and in that time found 4-5 nasty spalled bullets laying on the floor. I can imagine (based on the pretty bad marksmanship on some of the stalls) that someone shot the target frame or pulley system, because the backstop looked pretty rubbery and was at a 40-45 degree angle, with the roof panels meeting that perpendicularly. Seemed like a good setup?

As much as I want to shoot, and as bummed as I am about Chabot closing, I will not be going back to their indoor range. It was after 5 so I couldn't see the outdoor range, but I have heard good (better) things about it.

Super sketchy...

Last edited by nelson3300; 07-15-2017 at 8:48 PM..
Old 07-15-2017, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Shooting is fun. It should be relatively safe too. There are newbies or morons that shoot things that shouldn't get shot. This sends ricochets back. Fact of the shooting sports. There is an inherent danger to this sport. This is why we wear eyes and ears.

The OP's wife's bruising is from the ricochet hitting the glasses, not a direct hit. They did what they were supposed to do.

This should be a good lesson for us to make sure we have GOOD eye pro. Don't settle for the cheapest ones. Spend a little and get the milspec rated eye pro. Check this out: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-...lasses-review/

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Must have been a freak ricochet. I don't think any range is 110% ricochet proof. After a bazillion rounds - and the wear and tear they cause on walls, backstops, flooring, brackets, pulleys, etc. - something like this could happen at an indoor range.