Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-28-2020, 2:19 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods
Default I just requalified and encountered a Yahoo at the indoor range

Well I made my every 2 year trip to the local indoor range to requalify, and do the training required to renew my CCW License issued by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office. I have had my HCSO CCW License for over 20 years now...

My 4 hours of training and range time went well, and of course I got a 100% score on each of my three weapons. As I was policing/ sweeping up my spent brass, there was another person there to requalify for their CCW License, and they walked into the range thru the double doors without wearing any eye protection or hearing protection. I pointed that out to them, and their response was that I was the only person in there at the time and no one was on the firing line - he was OK to do that.

So I went out to the counter and told the owners son, who proceeded to read that person the "Riot Act", for failing to follow the safety rules!!!

As the offender went out to their tricked out & jacked up Diesel truck to look for their safety gear, I chatted with the owners son and he said the person couldn't find their 2nd weapon - so they were only firing one of them. Plus the person was supposedly in a hurry. Besides the firing of weapons, we are required to do 4 hours of training. I once again told the counter person to keep a close watch on that person, since they seemed to have no concept of the range safety rules.

That Yahoo who disregarded the safety rules just reinforced the reason as to why I do not go to public ranges here in California. I reside on 80 acres out in the Boonies, so I have the ability to go shooting here on the hilltop. Or I go off into Six Rivers National Forest which is not far away for a change of scenery, or to go hunting.

When I go to Detroit to visit my family and we have a family shooting day is usually the only time I ever go to a public range, besides when I have to requalify at the local indoor range every 2 years.

Old 02-28-2020, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

To me that’s a myob moment, only person he would have hurt would have been himself. It was nice if you to point it out to him, sometimes people forget, but no reason to go tell counter person.
Old 02-28-2020, 2:33 PM

What did he do to you?
Old 02-28-2020, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Why let an a**hole be another proof point for the idiotic left to say we can't trust citizens with guns. In my arguments against the crazy laws, I focus on how law abiding owners are safe, follow the rules, and should be emulated by society. Reminding our brethren when the slip to bring them back within the bounds of acceptable behavior while in public should be encouraged.

Then again, you can just let the DIQ shoot without hearing and eye protection and maybe cause some serious damage. Then others have to pay for his idiocy, like the owners and other shooters who wont be able to shoot there because of the DIQ's behavior
Old 02-28-2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
To me that’s a myob moment, only person he would have hurt would have been himself. It was nice if you to point it out to him, sometimes people forget, but no reason to go tell counter person.
Well for me it was an obvious serious safety concern, with their caviler attitude of "It's OK" to be in an indoor range without eye and hearing protection. I went to the counter after telling the person as they were starting to set up to shoot without safety equipment disregarding the range rules!

It is not as if they were out target practicing or hunting in an open area, there if they wanted to shoot without glasses or hearing protection then more power to them.

What if some of the general public were to come in and use the range while that person was qualifying for their CCW License. He did not inspire any sense of safety in front of me during then. I was glad that I was finished shooting, and not on the range when he qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog68 View Post
Why let an a**hole be another proof point for the idiotic left to say we can't trust citizens with guns. In my arguments against the crazy laws, I focus on how law abiding owners are safe, follow the rules, and should be emulated by society. Reminding our brethren when the slip to bring them back within the bounds of acceptable behavior while in public should be encouraged.

Then again, you can just let the DIQ shoot without hearing and eye protection and maybe cause some serious damage. Then others have to pay for his idiocy, like the owners and other shooters who wont be able to shoot there because of the DIQ's behavior
Having taught many others to shoot over the years, I stress being safe in all aspects of being around firearms. I was taught that by my Dad and Grandpa long before becoming a Marine way back when.

The person I posted about had walked past two separate large signs - one on each door stating that hearing and eye protection are required, before they walked into the range area. Plus he had told me and the counter person that they were in a "hurry" and needed to leave as soon as possible. So haste could make for a dangerous situation...
Old 02-28-2020, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Wasn't there an instructor running the class?

I hate requals too and there always seems to be a class numb nut that should get a little percussive maintenance on the cranium. This behaviour sounds all too familiar,

In every class the safety rules are reviewed by the instructor du jour before toddling off to the indoor range where the numb nut proceeds to disregard the rules.

This guy was in a hurry. FLAG
Forgot his second piece? FLAG
Disregarding safety rules? FLAG
Taking the class seriously? Hell NO!

Damn shame. I'd have to blame the instructor for over looking/ignoring this guy's obviously jackarse behaviour.

1 warning. Next time he's out of that class. Reschedule with no extra $ paid. Get McFly to think.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Wasn't there an instructor running the class?

I hate requals too and there always seems to be a class numb nut that should get a little percussive maintenance on the cranium. This behaviour sounds all too familiar,

In every class the safety rules are reviewed by the instructor du jour before toddling off to the indoor range where the numb nut proceeds to disregard the rules.

This guy was in a hurry. FLAG
Forgot his second piece? FLAG
Disregarding safety rules? FLAG
Taking the class seriously? Hell NO!

Damn shame. I'd have to blame the instructor for over looking/ignoring this guy's obviously jackarse behaviour.

1 warning. Next time he's out of that class. Reschedule with no extra $ paid. Get McFly to think.
He stated that he could not find his second weapon that was listed on his CCW License.

He also showed up with no ammunition, and the range did not have any in his caliber. So he had to go out and buy some at a local sporting goods store.

That is how I was able to fire my 25 rounds per weapon times three weapons (75 rounds total), before he came into the range. The instructor watched me fire then he left the range to have a cup of coffee, as I policed up my brass afterwards. That was where the instructor was at, when the safety rules don't pertain to me person returned with a box of ammunition to fire his one weapon that he had with him for qualification.
Old 02-29-2020, 4:08 AM

Maybe he was simulating a more realistic scenario, no ear or eye protection indoors? Seriously, shooting a handgun in an indoors bay without ear protection? He would realize that's a bad decision on the first shot!
Old 02-29-2020, 4:29 PM

I would’ve told him in case he forgot then be done with it. If he wants to be a dumb *** then that’s his right as long as he doesn’t harm other people. The instructor would set him straight when he went up to the line.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 02-29-2020, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post

That Yahoo who disregarded the safety rules just reinforced the reason as to why I do not go to public ranges here in California.
Right. Because there are no a-hole yahoos outside of California.

My local range, the San Luis Obispo Sportsmen's Association, actually has RSO's who do a great job of enforcing range safety rules and educating the occasional yahoo.

What a novel idea!
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 03-01-2020, 9:18 AM

A guy walks onto a cold range without eye/ear protection...that’s it?

You need to get out more.

-CCW renewal class. Instructor is retired Sheriff blowhard. During firing, I’m shooting center mass, but can see hits in head. I stop and hear a gun discharge two lanes over, another hole in my target appears and I feel something hit my leg. It’s a spent, warm .45 slug. I look into the point and see the instructor shooting at an angle at my target, hitting the wall and ricocheting slugs. I suggested he not do that.

-Same instructor, same time. Middle-aged woman in an initial CCW class shooting with renewals, loads and charges the gun at the back wall tables, not in the firing point, and turns, beginning to sweep the line. A couple of us on the line hear the slide, I grab her to stop the turn and another guy disarms her. She’s DQ’d. Two weeks later, I’m at different range and a CCW class comes in...same woman, same instructor. I left.

-Hot Range, standing in a firing point talking to another shooter about a pistol. Third guy walks up and starts telling us how great his Sig is, then raises the pistol. I avoid the muzzle and ask if I can look at it, then take the gun. Drop the mag, rack the slide and catch the chambered round. Handed it back to him and he says, “oh, s***”.

Thank goodness everybody was wearing ear and eye protection.

Such is the Right To Keep and Bear Arms.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-01-2020 at 8:08 PM..
Old 03-02-2020, 6:21 AM

OP, thanks for being a good guy and reminding him.of eyes and ears.

But like the post from Dvrjon, there are so many other things that happen at different ranges, eyes and ears on not the worst sins....

Be safe, watch others and don't let someone not paying attention shorten your days.
Old 03-02-2020, 6:21 AM

OP, thanks for being a good guy and reminding him.of eyes and ears.

But like the post from Dvrjon, there are so many other things that happen at different ranges, eyes and ears on not the worst sins....

Be safe, watch others and don't let someone not paying attention shorten your days.
Old 03-03-2020, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Good on you OP...

However, we still have folks, even supposedly safe and responsible gun owners, would call you out on MYOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-16-2020, 5:26 AM
Veteran Member

I'll never forget the look of a Guy who blew the side of his Rifle case out . After a Rso told him to turn his case around so Barrel was down range. His immediate and snappy Respose . It's not loaded. Had it happened the other way. He would have proabably taken a 5.56 straight to the pecker.
Old 03-16-2020, 9:02 AM

[QUOTE=Featureless;23935639]

My local range, the San Luis Obispo Sportsmen's Association, actually has RSO's who do a great job of enforcing range safety rules and educating the occasional yahoo.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Right. Because there are no a-hole yahoos outside of California.

What a novel idea!
I could spend days telling of what I have seen at the indoor ranges, from when I go shooting with my family in Detroit during my visits. I tend to stand back loading magazines for my family, as I watch for muzzle sweeps, negligent discharges at the ceiling and who knows where else, and other shenanigans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A guy walks onto a cold range without eye/ear protection...that’s it?

You need to get out more.

-CCW renewal class. Instructor is retired Sheriff blowhard. During firing, I’m shooting center mass, but can see hits in head. I stop and hear a gun discharge two lanes over, another hole in my target appears and I feel something hit my leg. It’s a spent, warm .45 slug. I look into the point and see the instructor shooting at an angle at my target, hitting the wall and ricocheting slugs. I suggested he not do that.

-Same instructor, same time. Middle-aged woman in an initial CCW class shooting with renewals, loads and charges the gun at the back wall tables, not in the firing point, and turns, beginning to sweep the line. A couple of us on the line hear the slide, I grab her to stop the turn and another guy disarms her. She’s DQ’d. Two weeks later, I’m at different range and a CCW class comes in...same woman, same instructor. I left.

-Hot Range, standing in a firing point talking to another shooter about a pistol. Third guy walks up and starts telling us how great his Sig is, then raises the pistol. I avoid the muzzle and ask if I can look at it, then take the gun. Drop the mag, rack the slide and catch the chambered round. Handed it back to him and he says, “oh, s***”.

Thank goodness everybody was wearing ear and eye protection.

Such is the Right To Keep and Bear Arms.
As I posted above, besides the indoor ranges in Detroit, I have gone to an outdoor public range in Arizona with my family there. There I had another know-it-all do a negligent discharge near me with his brand new Kel-Tec .380, to where it sprayed me with gravel. I did not physically harm the person, but they got some loud non profane vocabulary sent their way as they hastily packed up to leave after just a few rounds fired.

So besides doing my every 2 year CCW requalifications, I do not go to any indoor range here in California. Residing in a remote rural area, I can do all of the hunting and shooting I want without worrying about others inattention to firearm safety.
Old 03-18-2020, 3:53 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn’t have said anything to the dumb @ss. I woulda just started shooting down range. He woulda figured out his problems in a hurry.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-18-2020, 4:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I wouldn’t have said anything to the dumb @ss. I woulda just started shooting down range. He woulda figured out his problems in a hurry.
THAT’S how to handle it!
Old 04-12-2020, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Tough Gig.
Old 05-02-2020, 2:38 AM

I don't understand why you posted a picture of your qualification.
Old 05-02-2020, 3:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
I don't understand why you posted a picture of your qualification.
To humble brag about his 3 100% scores duh...this was never REALLY about the “yahoo” and his lack of ears and eyes was it op?
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 05-02-2020 at 3:59 AM..
Old 05-02-2020, 7:13 AM

FIFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTHUSIAST View Post
To humble Humboldt brag about his 3 100% scores duh...this was never REALLY about the “yahoo” and his lack of ears and eyes was it op?
Old 05-02-2020, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
So I went out to the counter and told the owners son, who proceeded to read that person the "Riot Act", for failing to follow the safety rules!!!

Dude... have a Snickers... or 12...

Old 05-06-2020, 8:38 AM

I would have just observed with amused interest at what he would have done after he fired his first shot. Sometimes it is a more memorable lesson if learned the hard way.

But that's just me.
Old 05-07-2020, 5:53 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

"Tricked out jacked-up diesel truck"

Is that a problem too?

You should have called CHP to make sure he was in compliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Can I bring my Donkey? He loves Chunky Monkey.