Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-21-2021, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Guns are less short here. If ammo's on the shelf at ridiculous prices.... It sits.
Or gets bought by new gunowners who has 0 rounds, desperate gunowners, or rich gunowners.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2021, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
There isn't going to be but a short term lowering of prices.

Its simple:

If you were in the supply chain and saw that people would pay very high prices for ammo would you out of the kindness of your heart lower prices? Supply and demand went out the window some time ago. If you say that people will eventually stop buying as they have been there is something not being considered: supply can be lowered to keep prices higher, it happens with all kinds of things.

Anyone see Apple selling iPhones for $99?
I don't get why people are so negative about this as if history hasn't shown that these demand spikes eventually peter out after a couple years and things go down. Probably not back to what it was before the demand spike, but in line with inflation (e.g. cost of materials and transport).

In most recent years we saw it in 2008, 2013, and now in 2020. In 2024, we'll probably see rimfire back down to around $25 a brick for the basic stuff, maybe $60-$100 a brick for the 'match' ammo, and the $100+ a brick for the high grade stuff. Then in 2027 we'll probably have another event resulting in a spike in demand and prices and we'll repeat this all over again and people will be complaining about hoarders and others saying it's the end of days as we know it for ammo prices.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com
Old 06-21-2021, 7:22 PM

Turners Chino Hills had plenty of 556 & 762 for those willing to payÖ.
Old 06-22-2021, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I don't get why people are so negative about this as if history hasn't shown that these demand spikes eventually peter out after a couple years and things go down. Probably not back to what it was before the demand spike, but in line with inflation (e.g. cost of materials and transport).

In most recent years we saw it in 2008, 2013, and now in 2020. In 2024, we'll probably see rimfire back down to around $25 a brick for the basic stuff, maybe $60-$100 a brick for the 'match' ammo, and the $100+ a brick for the high grade stuff. Then in 2027 we'll probably have another event resulting in a spike in demand and prices and we'll repeat this all over again and people will be complaining about hoarders and others saying it's the end of days as we know it for ammo prices.
Because what is going on now in society is the same as what happened before? We haven't had inflation of any serious concern in a very long time. Well, if history is the teacher it's coming around again. As I said, the prices will come down but that will be short lived. There are fundamental changes taking place all over the government and its a two steps to something else and one step back all the while progression keeps going.

We can't be selective about using history to predict the future. There isn't an apocalypse when it comes to guns and ammo but there isn't going to be a routine cycle anymore either.

It isn't about being negative, its about just seeing the reality of what is going on and limiting everything to the cost of ammo as if it's some isolated market event doesn't really work. In those previous cycles what was the inflation rate? Nearly zero for practical purposes or so low it didn't matter to the typical person. That is about to change.

Unlike what you see alot around here where the singular focus is on guns and ammo (it is after all a forum about that) there is a much bigger picture of what is going on in commodities, labor and asset groups and that has a much greater impact on prices in the future than some cycle of what and who is making noise about civil this and that or some SHTF tacti-jonny dream.

Even enviro concerns will have a more dramatic effect on ammo prices going forward. The nest thing is the materials used to make ammo. About to hit real soon is lead and while we've seen this already in California with some restriction of where lead ammo can be used that is nothing compared to what is on the way. Just consider your rimfire guns. While there are some lead free offerings when they must all be that way then what happens? The prices you see now for rimfire will seem like wholesale in comparison. Then some Thunderberg will talk about the combustion by-products of smokeless powder and don't underestimate it because that too is right around the corner. Some will say - no way, that will never happen. So far it's all happened and then those same people say it's just a cycle...---

remember that when you can't buy a ICE vehicle anymore or the cost will be so high it will make you cringe.

California is now going to pay the past due rents for everyone. Where does that money come from? Not an ammo tax perhaps this year but taxes are going to go through the roof shortly. There is no way out of that except inflation. We have a choice, much higher taxes or inflation to pay for all the spending. Either one will affect guns and ammo prices and those that have already usually don't care too much about those that don't. That too is history repeating itself.

Personally, I don't care much about the prices of ammo. Instead of investing in some hoard of ammo (rather silly other than actual emergency needs) there was far better investments around that make the prices of ammo pretty much irrelevant. Hoarding ammo for the multi-year stockpile is like burning money compared to doing anything else for the future.

]A SILENT MAJORITY will become a silent minority when those who have something to lose fear those who have something to gain. Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.

You don't get beaten by the opposition you get beaten by those who run away.

Last edited by SharedShots; 06-22-2021 at 6:40 AM..
Old 06-26-2021, 2:26 PM

I hope we are not in line for an *** whupping level of inflation thanks to the Kamala/Biden presidency. I cringe thinking of what damage inflation can do to our lives. I'm thinking back to the good ole days of Jimmy Carter. Most people have not tasted the pain of real inflation.
Old 07-06-2021, 5:46 AM

Not to get your hopes up too high but out here in the Lone Star state, I just bought 2 boxes of 333 Winchester for $18 each at Wally World on the way to work this morning . They had 6 boxes on the shelf and there was no limit.

As I recall, this price is about the same as a couple of years ago so the manufacturers arenít raising prices on some ammo. A local gun store gets regular shipments of Tula 7.62x39 at $15 for 40 which isnít a bargain but isnít gouging either and about in par for small quantities of AK ammo.
Old 07-06-2021, 7:04 AM

Yep just bought 15 boxes of CCI SV at Walmart for 3.67 per box..Pretty much the same as I paid three years ago.

I have actually paid more than that for CCI SV in the past...Had to have Wife and daughter and two trips there by me to get the 15 boxes though,LOL

One fella has hit the nail on the head..Inflation will drive up the cost a little..Nothing else currently going on will..People are panicking over anti stuff that is not going to happen on the National Political Spectrum..That is alot of the problem..
Old 07-06-2021, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, prices here have been easing.
I think the COVID factor is gone as states ignore Biden.
I think Biden's anti gun yapping will be ignored as well.
Prices will drop as stock sits on the shelves and gunstores begin their price wars.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Yep just bought 15 boxes of CCI SV at Walmart for 3.67 per box..Pretty much the same as I paid three years ago.

I have actually paid more than that for CCI SV in the past...Had to have Wife and daughter and two trips there by me to get the 15 boxes though,LOL

One fella has hit the nail on the head..Inflation will drive up the cost a little..Nothing else currently going on will..People are panicking over anti stuff that is not going to happen on the National Political Spectrum..That is alot of the problem..
Is there a walmart in CA that sells ammo?

Don't think so.

So for CAfornians, we generally have to compare prices between marketplace and walk in stores; then look at online prices and draw the cpr in the mid.

Online prices show less yes. But whats the total after taxes and transfer fee for CA?
Add the availability factor including the market is open to almost all states. Half the time, by the time you get to checkout, it is sold out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2021, 2:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

in CA the big box sporting goods stores are probably the best bet, but they are not catching up yet on inventory and limits purchases. I have been able to get some at SW when stopping by for other stuff at 6-7cpr for Aguila and Golden bullet. But the process is slow and for only a few boxes not worth the effort, unless you are doing a pick up or DROS.

I'm going to wait and see what end of August looks like before looking at buying more ammo. I'm starting to run low in a few calibers.
Old 07-06-2021, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
I could use some Large Rifle Primers..Getting low..But have not seen any yet.Those may be a lot slower to come back.
As I remember, Large Rifle were the last to go, so maybe they'll be the last to come back.
Just about a year ago, I bought 30,000 Federal LRs for just over $900 delivered. I split those up with a couple of my shooting friends.
I was looking for small rifle, but they were hard to find at good prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Not to get your hopes up too high but out here in the Lone Star state, I just bought 2 boxes of 333 Winchester for $18 each at Wally World on the way to work this morning . They had 6 boxes on the shelf and there was no limit.

As I recall, this price is about the same as a couple of years ago so the manufacturers aren’t raising prices on some ammo. A local gun store gets regular shipments of Tula 7.62x39 at $15 for 40 which isn’t a bargain but isn’t gouging either and about in par for small quantities of AK ammo.
Walmart in Colorado Springs last week had Automatch 325 boxes for $17. They had a 2 box limit, and about 20 boxes in the case. I guess it takes a while for the word to spread out there, because it seemed like only one person was going in 3 days in a row to buy 2 boxes.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)