Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-12-2018, 3:33 PM

Default Long gun transportation.

Iím looking for a definitive answer as to the transportation of long guns, AR15 and Shotgun, in a vehicle. Iíve been transporting my rifles to the range in a soft bag with a lock. I have magazines in the pockets. Ammo for both in ammo box within the truck. An instructor at the range told me that even rifles need to be in a secure metal gun box with cable attached to a secured location within the truck. Iíve looked all over for correct answer and still have not found anything. I know you have to have handgun in a secured box.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FUD Instructor has head up his as5. Locked container for handgunsand assault rifles. All firearms in locked container gfsz if passing within 1000 feet of a school. What range was instructor idjit at?
Old 08-12-2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
All firearms in locked container gfsz if passing within 1000 feet of a school.
Pretty hard to travel anywhere in L.A. County without being within 1,000 feet of a school....
Old 08-12-2018, 4:51 PM

Hereís the official page. No mention of metal. If your dipstick range guy was right, we would have to toss our pelican cases.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Any locked bag is fine.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:08 AM

I drive a truck and use a soft bag .. And i double up on the locking .. lock the bag and use a cable lock ..Just to be safe ... this is California .. I also carry a copy of the paperwork for each firearm i travel with
Old 08-13-2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
FUD Instructor has head up his as5. Locked container for handgunsand assault rifles. All firearms in locked container gfsz if passing within 1000 feet of a school. What range was instructor idjit at?
That is FUD to with regard to the OPs original question:

Quote:
PC 626.9
(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.
Only RAW needs to be locked case and that is everywhere in CA during transport.
Old 08-13-2018, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

Me:

Inna soft case, onna floor, inna car/truck/van. Ammo inna locked field box. Boom.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 08-13-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunpost View Post
Iím looking for a definitive answer as to the transportation of long guns, AR15 and Shotgun, in a vehicle.

Thanks
My understanding is:

If you have a CCL, any firearm covered by that license can be carried loaded, so long as it is concealed.

If you do not have a CCL or the guns being transported are not covered by your CCL:

1. Handguns must be in a locked container during travel.
- They must be unloaded. Nothing chambered and no rounds in mag/cylinder that is attached/inserted into the pistol.
- The UNLOADED handgun CAN be locked in the same container with ammo.
- Loaded magazines are OK, but they CANNOT be inserted into a pistol, unless you have a CCL for that pistol. Same goes for speed loaders for revolvers.

2. RAW's must be in a unloaded and in a locked case during transport, similar to requirements for pistols above.

3. Any long gun that is not covered under RAW regs must be transported completely unloaded in some kind of case/cover, but DOES NOT need to be locked. I use cheap soft cases and you may even get away with a simple gun sock, but don't take my word on that.

4. Ammo does not need to be locked up or in a specific case of any kind.

I have a range bag and I carry my pistols unloaded in the bag with mags and ammo. I lock the bag shut for transport and unlock once at the range. For long guns I use cheap Allen soft cases or similar. I don't have any RAWs, so I can't be more specific on that.
Old 08-13-2018, 8:55 AM

^ +1
Old 08-13-2018, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
3. Any long gun that is not covered under RAW regs must be transported completely unloaded in some kind of case/cover, but DOES NOT need to be locked. I use cheap soft cases and you may even get away with a simple gun sock, but don't take my word on that.
Wrong. Unloaded is the only requirement. Is it smart to not put them in a case, that is up for debate. But is a case/cover required, nope.
Old 08-13-2018, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Wrong. Unloaded is the only requirement. Is it smart to not put them in a case, that is up for debate. But is a case/cover required, nope.
Now that I'm re-reading the PC, I think you're right... but there's a catch.

Quote:

(a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in an incorporated city or city and county when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in the incorporated city or city and county.
So according to CA, a person is guilty of a crime if carrying an unloaded long gun that is not a handgun, on their person, outside of a vehicle while in the incorporated city or city and county.

So it's OK to have the long gun free of a case inside the vehicle, so long as it is not a RAW and it is unloaded... but, when you are transporting it to or from the vehicle, you're likely to be committing a crime depending on your geographical location.

The solution?

Quote:
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased and it is being transported directly between places where a person is not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
and encased is defined as:

Quote:

For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is “encased” when that firearm is enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.
So at the end of the day, it doesn't pay to have the long gun out in the open, because in many places a case would be required to move it into and out of the vehicle. And that doesn't even consider protection of the firearm and perception of LEOs if someone happens to get a speeding ticket or something with a long gun exposed in their vehicle during a stop.

Edit: I was really confused about transport when I first joined CG. The information above is copied from info Librarian gave to me. So credit goes to him on the legwork.

Last edited by TheReluctantCraftstronaut; 08-13-2018 at 9:22 AM.. Reason: Credit where credit is due
Old 08-13-2018, 9:29 AM

Well since I can load my car in my attached garage and only remove the long guns at the range, the UOC violation is not an issue for me if I chose to go that route.

However, I am not sure that any LEO is going to ding you for loading your car in your driveway while UOC a long gun from your residence to your vehicle. Your neighbors might freak out and not like to see it but there has to be reasonableness to the law. If you live in an apartment and park in common areas, then you should be cased.

Personally I put all my guns in cases just to keep them from being damaged and to minimize what prying eyes see when loading my car.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 AM

Can a pump shotgun be mag-tube loaded with empty chamber?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^No ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that is considered loaded.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post
Can a pump shotgun be mag-tube loaded with empty chamber?
No. That is considered loaded.

Similarly, you couldn't have a semi-auto with a loaded mag inserted into the mag well, even if there isn't a round in the chamber.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

reddawn not to swift never read transportation laws obviously in 7 years
Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Someone snapped a pic of me transporting my long gun.
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now
Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Thats in Somalias continent.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
Someone snapped a pic of me transporting my long gun.
Is that street near the Oakland coliseum?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not with that technical in the background.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As usual the subject is being grossly over thought.
Old 08-13-2018, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Just remember even non raw longuns need to be in a locked case if you are going through school zones which are difficult to avoid.
Old 08-13-2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Just remember even non raw longuns need to be in a locked case if you are going through school zones which are difficult to avoid.
Prove it. I quoted the section of 626.9 above already that allows "otherwise legal transportation"

Last edited by broadside; 08-13-2018 at 2:40 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

When the first assault weapons registration occurred I remember getting something from DOJ saying that all RAW had to be transported in a locked hard container. Apparently that isn't true and must not have been back then, but perhaps that is where the range master got his info. I always transported my registered MAS 49/56 in a locked hard case because of the DOJ information.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 08-13-2018, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Prove it
I believe this is a Federal law.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 08-13-2018, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not worth effort to educate some people, Do what you like.

Last edited by edgerly779; 08-13-2018 at 2:49 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
I believe this is a Federal law.
Pretty rare that CA is more lenient than the Feds.
Old 08-13-2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
...but there has to be reasonableness to the law...
Seriously? In CA?
Old 08-13-2018, 3:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I found the Federal statue on this. Like I said, rare for CA to be more lenient than the Feds

I did notice this:
Quote:
(4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.
So are the Fed's waiving any preemption right to the State if the State establishes a GFSZ for this area? Would be nice if the CA version would supersede the Federal one then.
Old 08-13-2018, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

It’s in 626.9. Says locked container is allowed. Feel free to interpret the rest anyway you want but it clearly states a locked container makes transport through a school zone a non crime.
Old 08-13-2018, 4:28 PM

I know that a trunk counts as a locked container, but if you drive a truck would a tool box count? I would seem so since it's locked with a key but I don't know. Personally, I don't transport guns in my truck. I usually just use my car.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:01 PM

Regardless of any laws, it's so simple and inexpensive to lock almost any type of gun case, why not just snap a cheap azz lock on every case and be done with it? It negates any discussion of it with the uninformed if your ever stopped.

I never transport any firearm that's not locked in a case. I bought a couple of 6 packs of keyed alike tiny master locks years ago for around ten bucks. I've got a key on every key ring I have. Three number combo locks can be had for a few bucks apiece. Set all the combos the same and you don't have to worry about having a key.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

How about this?

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Quote:
Transporting Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

Of course, transporting them outside of the vehicle is another story as others have noted.

Last edited by code_blue; 08-13-2018 at 5:22 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 6:05 PM

Well as noted above the Feds have locked case laws for 1000ft of a school. In CA, there is no such law for "otherwise lawful transport" even within that 1000ft of a school zone.

So if you are never near a school zone then no case/lock is fine for long guns in CA. But within 1k feet Feds want them locked up.

Guess I learn (or get refreshed on thing I may have read before) something everyday
Old 08-14-2018, 9:42 AM

Lot being said here. Sorry for being so ignorant. What does "RAW" stand for? So what I understand from what has been said here is, I can carry a shotgun, not loaded and a AR15, not loaded or registered as an assault weapon but having a Compmag installed in a locked soft bag with a lock attached and I don't have to have it cabled to lets say the seat like my handgun box. Magazines and ammo in the outside pocket of the soft case, not inside the case and I should be good going to and from a range. Correct?
Old 08-14-2018, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunpost View Post
Lot being said here. Sorry for being so ignorant. What does "RAW" stand for? So what I understand from what has been said here is, I can carry a shotgun, not loaded and a AR15, not loaded or registered as an assault weapon but having a Compmag installed in a locked soft bag with a lock attached and I don't have to have it cabled to lets say the seat like my handgun box. Magazines and ammo in the outside pocket of the soft case, not inside the case and I should be good going to and from a range. Correct?

RAW = Registered Assault Weapon

Your compliant AR-15 is considered a sporting rifle with the CompMag installed. Treat it like your shotgun.
Old 08-14-2018, 9:51 AM

Got it.. Thanks Blue.