Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-13-2019, 9:51 AM

Switch to comcast business for no data cap. For phone use callcentric.com ($3.45/mo) and get an Obi200 or Obi202 voip adapter. For cable just get netflix and then add hbo or showtime for just long enough to binge watch the new season of whatever show you like.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

We used to have Comcast. Service was decent but in order to watch the channels I wanted to watch, I had to buy packages I didn't need. And they kept raising the rates all the time. Every once in a while my wife would call them, threaten to leave, and then they'd drop their rate dramatically. Then it would inch up again.

Finally said good bye to them and went with ATT Uverse. That was good but I was still paying for a lot I never used. Cut it down to the most basic, bottom of the line package and still found I was not using it. So, we stopped ATT and returned their boxes.

Now we have Apple TV only with access to everything they offer plus Netflix (13/month) and Amazon Prime. That's all we need. And with the Apple TV, I can stream anything from the internet on the TV from my phone or iPad.

I still get 100 Mbps internet from ATT for 20/month. It all costs me 33/month plus whatever I buy from Apple or Amazon. That's it.

The vast majority of programming on the networks is pure rancid garbage.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 09-15-2019, 5:04 PM

I get the cheapest available Xfinity plan in my area which is $35/month ($60 after taxes and fees)

60Mbps Internet
10+ Channels, which include local channels

I tried asking for a lower tier Internet speed to save even more money but 60Mbps is the lowest.

Our house has 10+ devices that connect to the Internet, including 2 IoT devices. We game, we live stream, and we watch streaming video all the time and frankly 60Mbps is overkill for us.

Keep in mind that watching Netflix in HD only uses 5Mbps or less. My brother refuses to get anything lower than the fastest Internet package because he doesn't like when things get "laggy" I've tried telling him that unless he's constantly downloading or uploading large files for work, he doesn't need all that fast an Internet speed.